PT 33 Sec 4, Game 3

niederbomb

PT 33 Sec 4, Game 3

Postby niederbomb » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:02 am

I solved this one in 11 minutes 5/6 (dumb error) but ran out of time for the last (easy lights) game on the section.

What's the best strategy to solve this type of game? I could not figure out an effective way to diagram it, so I just applied the rules to the answer choices and eliminated as many as possible, which was very slow. I wasn't even sure I got the right answers, so I was surprised I only got one wrong.

Is there a way to template this game?

How about Game 2 in this section? It was also a pain in the a**.

LSAT Blog

Re: PT 33 Sec 4, Game 3

Postby LSAT Blog » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:17 am

The conflict between having both W and Z tells us that we can only have either 2 or 3 topazes, which greatly restricts the number of variables that can be selected from each group.

If we have only 2 topazes, then we will have either 1 ruby and 3 sapphires, or 3 rubies and one sapphire.

If we have 3 topazes, we will have either 3 rubies and 0 sapphires, 0 rubies and 3 sapphires, 1 ruby and 2 sapphires, or 2 rubies and 1 sapphire.

More succinctly, for rubies, sapphires, and topazes, respectively:

R-S-T
1-3-2
3-1-2
3-0-3
0-3-3
1-2-3
2-1-3

This is the key inference for the game and should make the questions much easier.

The existence of categories (types of stones) for the variables (the stones themselves) is a hint that determining the numbers of stones chosen from each category in various scenarios may be the way to break the game open.

For PT33, Game 2, connect the rules that mention the same variables to create long conditional chains, linking as you go.

If H in requires G out, and either J or M alone is sufficient to require H, we can then say that:

J or M -> H -> NOT G

Contrapositively, G in requires H out, which requires J and M out.

G -> NOT H -> NOT J and NOT M

etc.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:19 pm

I just took this test. 173. -4 RC, -4 LR, -2 LG.

Game 2 I missed Q9. Game 3 I missed Q14.

Q9 was an extremely stupid mistake... don't know what I was thinking. For Q14, I made a hypo that had 2 of each type of stone that I thought was right. Really dumb. Gah!

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:23 pm

I scored 171 doing 30-minute sections. -0 RC. -6 LR (time). -6 LG (time). I missed Q #17 because I didn't correctly apply the deduction that either Z or W must be out, forcing either X or Y in, always. I ran short on time and guessed E.

LSAT Blog wrote:

More succinctly, for rubies, sapphires, and topazes, respectively:

R-S-T
1-3-2
3-1-2
3-0-3
0-3-3
1-2-3
2-1-3

This is the key inference for the game and should make the questions much easier

Thanks. This numerical distribution mostly helped with Q's #14, #16, and #18. However, I still had to apply the rules to each answer choice for the other questions, the ones that used names instead of numbers. I still think this game would take me 10 minutes if I had never seen it before.

On the bird game, I guess I already did what you suggested: I just moved like molasses to actually make it work, taking almost 10 minutes.

Where can I find a list of in-out games? I know about dinos, but what others?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”