Something to think about for RC help

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Something to think about for RC help

Postby Rawlberto » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:42 am

A lot of people obviously recommend magazines such as The Economist as a means to help RC. Since many (if not most) of us are still UG, I think just using your library research tools like Ebsco Host can help you find dense and interesting material. The only reason I bring this up is because magazines such as Scientific America and The Economist won't have abstract liberal arts articles. There are a couple of RC sections that have very abstract passages that deal with say literary theory. I found just reading up on literal devices and constructs for say the Gothic genre really helped for passages in which a physical entity was not identifiable so it was easy to just get a headache. Just a suggestion :)

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Something to think about for RC help

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:47 am

Rawlberto wrote:A lot of people obviously recommend magazines such as The Economist as a means to help RC. Since many (if not most) of us are still UG, I think just using your library research tools like Ebsco Host can help you find dense and interesting material. The only reason I bring this up is because magazines such as Scientific America and The Economist won't have abstract liberal arts articles. There are a couple of RC sections that have very abstract passages that deal with say literary theory. I found just reading up on literal devices and constructs for say the Gothic genre really helped for passages in which a physical entity was not identifiable so it was easy to just get a headache. Just a suggestion :)

There are some magazines dedicated to literature and literary theory as well (to supplement The Economist and SciAm). Before I entered the black hole, back when I was teaching LSAT, I used to enjoy going into Barnes & Noble, grabbing a large mocha, and sitting down with three or four magazines on various topics. I would read the best articles from each magazine, drink my coffee, and jam out. Do that regularly for a few months, and you start to scare people with your crazy knowledge. Do you know why yak hair should be spun with spit? I do.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Something to think about for RC help

Postby Rawlberto » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:57 am

JazzOne wrote:
Rawlberto wrote:A lot of people obviously recommend magazines such as The Economist as a means to help RC. Since many (if not most) of us are still UG, I think just using your library research tools like Ebsco Host can help you find dense and interesting material. The only reason I bring this up is because magazines such as Scientific America and The Economist won't have abstract liberal arts articles. There are a couple of RC sections that have very abstract passages that deal with say literary theory. I found just reading up on literal devices and constructs for say the Gothic genre really helped for passages in which a physical entity was not identifiable so it was easy to just get a headache. Just a suggestion :)

There are some magazines dedicated to literature and literary theory as well (to supplement The Economist and SciAm). Before I entered the black hole, back when I was teaching LSAT, I used to enjoy going into Barnes & Noble, grabbing a large mocha, and sitting down with three or four magazines on various topics. I would read the best articles from each magazine, drink my coffee, and jam out. Do that regularly for a few months, and you start to scare people with your crazy knowledge. Do you know why yak hair should be spun with spit? I do.


Is it because the fibers of yak hair are curled? I think I have studied for the LSAT too much...

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Something to think about for RC help

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 am

Rawlberto wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Rawlberto wrote:A lot of people obviously recommend magazines such as The Economist as a means to help RC. Since many (if not most) of us are still UG, I think just using your library research tools like Ebsco Host can help you find dense and interesting material. The only reason I bring this up is because magazines such as Scientific America and The Economist won't have abstract liberal arts articles. There are a couple of RC sections that have very abstract passages that deal with say literary theory. I found just reading up on literal devices and constructs for say the Gothic genre really helped for passages in which a physical entity was not identifiable so it was easy to just get a headache. Just a suggestion :)

There are some magazines dedicated to literature and literary theory as well (to supplement The Economist and SciAm). Before I entered the black hole, back when I was teaching LSAT, I used to enjoy going into Barnes & Noble, grabbing a large mocha, and sitting down with three or four magazines on various topics. I would read the best articles from each magazine, drink my coffee, and jam out. Do that regularly for a few months, and you start to scare people with your crazy knowledge. Do you know why yak hair should be spun with spit? I do.


Is it because the fibers of yak hair are curled? I think I have studied for the LSAT too much...

Dude, I'm talking about a huge, shaggy yak.

Image
Last edited by JazzOne on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Something to think about for RC help

Postby Rawlberto » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:02 am

I was referring to a LR question I believe about curled and straight fibers in cotton or polyester. I am legitimately interested in knowing though. Yaks are awesome.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Something to think about for RC help

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:03 am

Rawlberto wrote:I was referring to a LR question I believe about curled and straight fibers in cotton or polyester. I am legitimately interested in knowing though. Yaks are awesome.

Yeah, I remember that LR question. You have studied entirely too much.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Something to think about for RC help

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:20 am

Rawlberto wrote:I was referring to a LR question I believe about curled and straight fibers in cotton or polyester. I am legitimately interested in knowing though. Yaks are awesome.

The fibers are very prickly, so spinning yak hair can be tough on the hands or cause difficulties with the wheel. A little spit goes a long way.

Here's a picture of a Bhutanese woman spinning yak hair with spit: --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Something to think about for RC help

Postby Rawlberto » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:26 am

Nice. Now when i'm drunk and loud I can use the old "dude I know how yak hair is processed, do you think you're smarter than me?"

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Something to think about for RC help

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:33 am

Rawlberto wrote:Nice. Now when i'm drunk and loud I can use the old "dude I know how yak hair is processed, do you think you're smarter than me?"

Don't even get me started about how sunscreen can increase your chance of getting skin cancer. Or about how the ancient Italians revered the giraffe as a regal creature.

I like the paintings of both Cezanne and Lichtenstein.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest