December 2010
75%
February 2011
25%

Total votes: 8

beachbum

Re: Postpone till Feb 2011?

Postby beachbum » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:16 pm

runningzigzag wrote:Those Patent jobs don't go to the top ranked school exclusively...If you have a hard science or engineering degree and pass both your State Bar and the US Patent Bar, then you are set--regardless of where you attended law school. I have another friend who attend a (very) low-ranked T-4 and took the Patent Bar (he was a chemical engineer) and is making a six-figure salary and doing just fine. His classmates who weren't Patent Bar eligible, are severely struggling right now and are broke.

I think the top-ranked schools are of more value to those who aren't seeking to be in the Patent Law specialty...because people who don't have the engineering or a hard science background, are going to need all of the extra help they can get in this economy. I would personally suggest that those who aren't patent bar eligible, definitely do seek out the highest ranked school you can attend and go from there.

Like I said, Patent Attorney's don't need to worry about rank, because there are so few out there that qualify for this special caterogy. Everyone else should be very worried about their choice of school and all that other stuff. I know that I would be pretty scared right now if I was them too and didn't have a strong science or math background. Let's face it, it's rough out there and you need every possible advantage you can in this job market.

I also was looking at my options this morning on LSAC and it seems that I will still meet a number of deadlines even if I postpone till February 2011. Of course, these schools are T-3 and T-4 and but that doesn't matter to me to begin with. I'm just there to get the degree and then go on my way to take the Patent Bar.

I'll counter your anecdote with another anecdote! One of my good friends who attends the local T3 is patent-eligible (and has solid grades) and completely struck out at OCI. She's currently scrambling to secure any type of summer employment, though things aren't looking good. From what I understand, her situation is not uncommon- and this T3 doesn't exactly have a ton of competition in the region.

Maybe her situation is atypical- or maybe your friend's situation is atypical. In either case, I would make sure you're completely certain of the job prospects for IP-secure students from the schools you're looking at. IP is definitely not a golden ticket in itself.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:59 pm

I hope she finds something soon--both internship and ultimately permanent job wise. Her situation is very atypical...I wonder what her undergrad degree was in. Hopefully once she graduatates and takes the two bar exams (State and Patent), she will get some better employment offers. Things will turn around for her.

As for Patent being the golden ticket--it's as close to golden as you can in this economy. And it is very secure. It's better than those who are walking into law school without it--I feel bad for those people--I hope they are able to find something, because their backgrounds aren't as highly sought after. This economic situation should teach people and college kids to apply themselves and shoot for a harder degree program and major. But then again, most people cannot handle the engineering or hard science areas of concentration.

Think about it this way, 99% of those Patent Attorney's had an engineering or hard science undergraduate degree to beign with--and even if they had never went to law school, their employment prospects were always better than those who didn't have their background or education. Not too many people can hack those degree programs and get good grades--example majors: engineering, physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, pharmacy, etc.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:16 pm

runningzigzag wrote:I hope she finds something soon--both internship and ultimately permanent job wise. Her situation is very atypical...I wonder what her undergrad degree was in. Hopefully once she graduatates and takes the two bar exams (State and Patent), she will get some better employment offers. Things will turn around for her.

As for Patent being the golden ticket--it's as close to golden as you can in this economy. And it is very secure. It's better than those who are walking into law school without it--I feel bad for those people--I hope they are able to find something, because their backgrounds aren't as highly sought after. This economic situation should teach people and college kids to apply themselves and shoot for a harder degree program and major. But then again, most people cannot handle the engineering or hard science areas of concentration.

Think about it this way, 99% of those Patent Attorney's had an engineering or hard science undergraduate degree to beign with--and even if they had never went to law school, their employment prospects were always better than those who didn't have their background or education. Not too many people can hack those degree programs and get good grades--example majors: engineering, physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, pharmacy, etc.

Right on. For your sake, I hope you're right.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:00 pm

P.S. Beachbum...I ended up postponing my test to Feb. 12, 2011. I took my diagnostic tonight and I'm answering the questions correctly, but I am just not fast enough at the moment. I have 12 weeks to get ready and get my speed up.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:06 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:So now that this thread is over... anyone mind telling me where the "do x..y...z...profit" came about?

It is as obvious as do this and youll do well? or is there some TLS thing behind it? haha I see it often

It's my understanding that this is a subtle nod to a wonderful South Park episode involving underpants gnomes who stole, you guessed it, underpants.

When confronted, the gnomes had a wonderful business plan:

Step 1: Steal underpants.
Step 2: (silence)
Step 3: PROFIT!

Step 2 still remains an enigma.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:37 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:So now that this thread is over... anyone mind telling me where the "do x..y...z...profit" came about?

It is as obvious as do this and youll do well? or is there some TLS thing behind it? haha I see it often

It's my understanding that this is a subtle nod to a wonderful South Park episode involving underpants gnomes who stole, you guessed it, underpants.

When confronted, the gnomes had a wonderful business plan:

Step 1: Steal underpants.
Step 2: (silence)
Step 3: PROFIT!

Step 2 still remains an enigma.

Haha thats pretty comical, thanks for responding!

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:47 pm

runningzigzag wrote:Like I said before, next cycle is not an option--period. I cannot put my life on hold for another year.

Grow up.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:12 am

so you will be 37 when you get out of law school. Im going to assume that you have some money saved up, and if you are looking for Patent Law, you are in a science related job. So you work another year, save even more money and then go next year. Since you are going to take the test in february, your application wont be complete until the end of february, early march. Maybe you will get into a decent school, but the chances of you getting money are going to be slim. Which means that you will be paying sticker. Added to the fact that you wont be able to work for at least one year ( most likely 3) your actual cost of attendance can easily run north of 150k.- 200k ( factoring in cost of living, and lost wages).

Now if you wait 8 months ( feb to october), and you have a good lsat score, your chances at lowering your actual cost of attendance is going to be much better. If you look at it from this perspective, you will be saving yourselves thousands of dollars by waiting until next cycle. Plus you will have more time to research firms, schools and start making contacts for intership opportunities, and save even more money to lower the total cost of attendance.

In the end, its going to be your decision. I understand that, but are you sure you really want to spend tens of thousands of dollars ( in lost scholarship and wages) for the 8 month difference in submitting your application? ( note: if there is some strange and uniquely important thing going on in your life right now that would allow you to disregard this, then do it. otherwise at least listen to these opinions on the board before you make your final decision)

best of luck

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:41 am

Find another thread to be annoying on :lol:

gambelda wrote:
runningzigzag wrote:Like I said before, next cycle is not an option--period. I cannot put my life on hold for another year.

Grow up.
Last edited by runningzigzag on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:46 am

Go read the previous posts...because you didn't clearly ever read all of mine on this thread (no offense). By the way, this thread is dead at this point...I'm taking the Feb. 2011 test and going to law school in the Fall of 2011. And that is that. You shouldn't have troubled yourself with such a lengthy post...but thanks anyhow. All the info that you are talking about was covered in my previous replies (regarding my need for scholarship money, my background, etc.).

northwood wrote:so you will be 37 when you get out of law school. Im going to assume that you have some money saved up, and if you are looking for Patent Law, you are in a science related job. So you work another year, save even more money and then go next year. Since you are going to take the test in february, your application wont be complete until the end of february, early march. Maybe you will get into a decent school, but the chances of you getting money are going to be slim. Which means that you will be paying sticker. Added to the fact that you wont be able to work for at least one year ( most likely 3) your actual cost of attendance can easily run north of 150k.- 200k ( factoring in cost of living, and lost wages).

Now if you wait 8 months ( feb to october), and you have a good lsat score, your chances at lowering your actual cost of attendance is going to be much better. If you look at it from this perspective, you will be saving yourselves thousands of dollars by waiting until next cycle. Plus you will have more time to research firms, schools and start making contacts for intership opportunities, and save even more money to lower the total cost of attendance.

In the end, its going to be your decision. I understand that, but are you sure you really want to spend tens of thousands of dollars ( in lost scholarship and wages) for the 8 month difference in submitting your application? ( note: if there is some strange and uniquely important thing going on in your life right now that would allow you to disregard this, then do it. otherwise at least listen to these opinions on the board before you make your final decision)

best of luck

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:11 am

runningzigzag wrote:Find another thread to be annoying on :lol:

gambelda wrote:

Grow up.

No. This is a silly thread. By applying in February you guarantee you get no money. I believe you said you want a T3 or T4 school? If this is the case, you will be absorbing large debt (even T3 schools cost money) while gaining almost zero benefit in the long run because it's highly unlikely you will be placed. If you want to be realistic, going to a T3 school is quite honestly, stupid. Look at our economy and tell me how many T3 law schools are doing well in placement. If you're applying to a T1, you DEFINITELY won't get any money by applying in February - and my guess is the average cost of T1's is much higher.

Plenty of 40 year olds go back to law school. Take the LSAT in June after 6 months of studying and kill it. Apply early next cycle and get a good scholarship.

You sound like an 18 year old without the patience to realize that taking it in February and trying to cram in your application will inevitably screw you over. Do you really want to take on more heavy debt you can avoid at 37 just by waiting 1 year?

Be open to suggestions by people in the same boat. I dislike my job and will do anything to get out, but right now, waiting til next cycle is my best option.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Your another person who never read any of my previous posts either. Go read all of them and then make a comment--you have no room to talk or post otherwise.

gambelda wrote:
runningzigzag wrote:Find another thread to be annoying on :lol:

gambelda wrote:

Grow up.

No. This is a silly thread. By applying in February you guarantee you get no money. I believe you said you want a T3 or T4 school? If this is the case, you will be absorbing large debt (even T3 schools cost money) while gaining almost zero benefit in the long run because it's highly unlikely you will be placed. If you want to be realistic, going to a T3 school is quite honestly, stupid. Look at our economy and tell me how many T3 law schools are doing well in placement. If you're applying to a T1, you DEFINITELY won't get any money by applying in February - and my guess is the average cost of T1's is much higher.

Plenty of 40 year olds go back to law school. Take the LSAT in June after 6 months of studying and kill it. Apply early next cycle and get a good scholarship.

You sound like an 18 year old without the patience to realize that taking it in February and trying to cram in your application will inevitably screw you over. Do you really want to take on more heavy debt you can avoid at 37 just by waiting 1 year?

Be open to suggestions by people in the same boat. I dislike my job and will do anything to get out, but right now, waiting til next cycle is my best option.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:29 pm

if you are not going to take the advice seriously, why ask for it?

Anyways- best of luck with whatever you do.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:06 pm

lol @

runningzigzag wrote:I am in the science field and I will go into Patent Law.

and

runningzigzag wrote:Patent Attorney's are not hurting in this economy

and

runningzigzag wrote:If you have a hard science or engineering degree and pass both your State Bar and the US Patent Bar, then you are set--regardless of where you attended law school.

and

runningzigzag wrote:Patent Attorney's don't need to worry about rank, because there are so few out there that qualify for this special caterogy.

and

runningzigzag wrote:As for Patent being the golden ticket--it's as close to golden as you can in this economy. And it is very secure.

and

runningzigzag wrote:Think about it this way, 99% of those Patent Attorney's had an engineering or hard science undergraduate degree to beign with--and even if they had never went to law school, their employment prospects were always better than those who didn't have their background or education.

and especially

runningzigzag wrote:Your another person who never read any of my previous posts either. Go read all of them and then make a comment--you have no room to talk or post otherwise.

Patent Law!!!!!!1!1!!!one!!

guinness

Postby guinness » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:40 pm

runningzigzag wrote:Your another person who never read any of my previous posts either. Go read all of them and then make a comment--you have no room to talk or post otherwise.

Running,

You have it all figured out, so why not just take it in Feb, got to a T4 and get a big time patent job?

No need to ask a question on a forum when you have the answer... :twisted:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”