December 2010
75%
February 2011
25%

Total votes: 8

runningzigzag

Postpone till Feb 2011?

Postby runningzigzag » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:00 am

Right now, I don't know what to do. I'm signed up for the Dec 11th LSAT, but I have been pretty busy with work...I work around 35 hrs a week. I am plan on applying to a T-3 or T-4 school. I have yet to take a practice LSAT...I am almost done with the Logic Games Bible...but I still have to read the Logical Reasoning Bible. I need to score at least a 160 to get into my schools that I want. I previously took the LSAT 10 years ago.

Should I just keep trying to study and take the December LSAT or should I just shoot for February? I have to get into law school for the Fall of 2011--I cannot wait until the next cycle--so next year is NOT an option at all.
Last edited by runningzigzag on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Postpone till Feb 2011?

Postby 005618502 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:09 am

Taking in Feb then applying is SOOO late it is always a mistake!

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:10 am

Is there any possible way you can apply again next year
both of these options are huuuuggeee bummers

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:11 am

Why is next year not an option?

Postby 005618502 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:19 am

beachbum wrote:Why is next year not an option?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:37 am

if you take it in february, then apply next cycle. If you need more time, then take it in june.

Dont rush it. A bad re-take ruins this cycle, and gives you one more shot before you have to petition. If you are worried that you may need to move onto plan b, taking it in june still gives you time over the summer to prep for any other entrance exams do research and get those apps in.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:36 am

Like I said before, next cycle is not an option--period. I cannot put my life on hold for another year.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:20 pm

runningzigzag wrote:Like I said before, next cycle is not an option--period. I cannot put my life on hold for another year.

Unless you make some remarkable gains in the next few months, you'll almost certainly be making a huge mistake that carries long-term consequences. This is a major life decision: if you're gonna do it, do it right (or don't do it at all).

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:27 pm

running: why cant you wait another year?

Its silly to force yourself to be at a certain place in life at certain time periods. You dont have to be graduated by 30, with a house and family. ITs your life, dont rush major decisions ( and this is definately one of them). You want to keep your options open. Yes, it may suck having to fly another holding pattern for a year, but if you retake in feb, get a better score, you will hav much better options for the next cycle( only 7 months away). Im assuming you have your essays and things all done, so the only thing you will have to do is hit submit. LOR's, essays dont need to be changed, and you have the ability to strengthen your resume. Plus, the earlier you apply, the greater the chance of getting more money. This will help you get the best VALUE for your dollar.( and give the economy another year to get stronger).

There is no point in rushing this. Life wont be over if you graduate law school at 30 or even around then. Do this right, and you will have no regrets. Rush through this, and you may be asking yourself " did I do the right thing?" later in life. Try to keep your second guessing in life to a minimum. You will be happier and healthier for it.

media2law

Postby media2law » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Feb or next cycle.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:52 pm

If waiting another year is IMPOSSIBLE then you have 2 options:
1) take in December and got o whatever school you get into which will land you in serious debt with little to no job prospects.
2) Dont go to law school.

Now as it seems you have been out of UG for quite some time, so the smart choice would be to continue working (i am assuming you have a job) and apply next cycle. The choice is yours

/thread

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Feb or June, otherwise you won't do well. 3 weeks and you've never practiced the new LSATS? Definately not in a good situation.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:03 pm

kkklick wrote:Feb or June, otherwise you won't do well. 3 weeks and you've never practiced the new LSATS? Definately not in a good situation.

There are new LSATs?

Postby 005618502 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:21 pm

ahduth wrote:
kkklick wrote:Feb or June, otherwise you won't do well. 3 weeks and you've never practiced the new LSATS? Definately not in a good situation.

There are new LSATs?

OP said he hasnt taken one in 10 years, so i believe he means the more recent LSATs

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:48 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
ahduth wrote:

There are new LSATs?

OP said he hasnt taken one in 10 years, so i believe he means the more recent LSATs

AssumptionRequired has nailed the assumption.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:30 am

kkklick wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
ahduth wrote:

There are new LSATs?

AssumptionRequired has nailed the assumption.

I took my last one like seven years ago, the only difference is that new reading comprehension thing right?

blink

Postby blink » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:59 am

OP: you need to think HARD about this, and question anything you may think you know about this process and your life as you know it. If you think that rushing to law school to get your life moving, but rushing into a subpar school in an even more subpar economy is more important than waiting a year, raising your score, and attending a better school (which increases job chances, etc), you are SADLY mistaken. Going to a poor school just to get a JD, unless with a full scholarship, will run you way into debt. You will likely be hardpressed to find a job, and you will be where you are now, but 3 years older, 150k in the hole, and facing no better career prospects.

Bottomline:

Take your time, nail the LSAT. Forget about the one-more-year thing that you seem so insistent on avoiding. After all, why wouldn't you wait around for one more year, nail the test, apply early, and advance your life prospects so much further? There is no question here: forget this cycle. Take the test when you are ready. Go to a good school. Profit.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:07 am

So now that this thread is over... anyone mind telling me where the "do x..y...z...profit" came about?

It is as obvious as do this and youll do well? or is there some TLS thing behind it? haha I see it often

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:31 am

This thread is not exactly over...Here are some answers to your questions...

First, I don't need the scholarship money...I am able to finance my schooling in cash--no loans and zero debt.

Second, I don't want to put my life on hold for another year, because I just turned 33 and I'll be 36 when I get out of law school. So I'm not some younger kid who is 22 or 23 and cannot exactly wait another cycle.

A friend of mine was in a exactly the same situation as me last year...he was 39 and had the money to pay for his schooling. He went to a lower-ranked school (T-4) and is currently a law student.

See my point now? There has got to be a way to score well in February and still get into a T-3 or T-4 that has rolling admissions.

tng11

Postby tng11 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:46 pm

runningzigzag wrote:This thread is not exactly over...Here are some answers to your questions...

First, I don't need the scholarship money...I am able to finance my schooling in cash--no loans and zero debt.

Second, I don't want to put my life on hold for another year, because I just turned 33 and I'll be 36 when I get out of law school. So I'm not some younger kid who is 22 or 23 and cannot exactly wait another cycle.

A friend of mine was in a exactly the same situation as me last year...he was 39 and had the money to pay for his schooling. He went to a lower-ranked school (T-4) and is currently a law student.

See my point now? There has got to be a way to score well in February and still get into a T-3 or T-4 that has rolling admissions.

That's not a good reason to rush into a horrible investment. Sit out this cycle, retake the LSAT in June, and apply next September. I'm sure you'll find that the difference between 36 and 37 is inconsequential when you're comparing the job prospects of decent schools to the inevitable under/unemployment from T3/4s. You might not be worried about debt, but if you're going to law school to become an attorney, why would you attend a school that likely excludes you from meeting that goal?

Postby 005618502 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:34 pm

runningzigzag wrote:This thread is not exactly over...Here are some answers to your questions...

whats the big difference between finishing at 36 and finishing at 37? Do you have a family? I am assuming no as you are willing to burn 150K+ on what is most likely not going to help you financially.

If you take a year off, study till June while working and kill the test you could get into a T1.... why dont you see this as the better option?

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:59 pm

The $150K isn't something that I'll miss and it won't hurt my personal finances in the long run--trust me. As for my current job, I am in the science field and I will go into Patent Law. Patent Attorney's are not hurting in this economy and most lawyers do not meet the qualifications to take the US Patent Bar anyhow. Let's face it, Patent Attorney's have a hard science or engineering background--thats very desirable period, because most people cannot handle those types of undergraduate degree programs and typically do the easier ones (no offense).

Thanks for the comments and ideas from everyone who posted. I may not agree with most of the posts in this thread, but everyone is entitled to their opinion--and I can respect that.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:40 pm

runningzigzag wrote:The $150K isn't something that I'll miss and it won't hurt my personal finances in the long run--trust me. As for my current job, I am in the science field and I will go into Patent Law. Patent Attorney's are not hurting in this economy and most lawyers do not meet the qualifications to take the US Patent Bar anyhow. Let's face it, Patent Attorney's have a hard science or engineering background--thats very desirable period, because most people cannot handle those types of undergraduate degree programs and typically do the easier ones (no offense).

Thanks for the comments and ideas from everyone who posted. I may not agree with most of the posts in this thread, but everyone is entitled to their opinion--and I can respect that.

Fair enough. Though I'm not sure that "patent attorneys are not hurting ITE" is an accurate statement; they seem to just be hurting less than everyone else. Keep in mind that there are a good number of patent-eligible students at higher-ranked schools, and that high-paying IP jobs tend to go to these students first (and exclusively?).

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Those Patent jobs don't go to the top ranked school exclusively...If you have a hard science or engineering degree and pass both your State Bar and the US Patent Bar, then you are set--regardless of where you attended law school. I have another friend who attend a (very) low-ranked T-4 and took the Patent Bar (he was a chemical engineer) and is making a six-figure salary and doing just fine. His classmates who weren't Patent Bar eligible, are severely struggling right now and are broke.

I think the top-ranked schools are of more value to those who aren't seeking to be in the Patent Law specialty...because people who don't have the engineering or a hard science background, are going to need all of the extra help they can get in this economy. I would personally suggest that those who aren't patent bar eligible, definitely do seek out the highest ranked school you can attend and go from there.

Like I said, Patent Attorney's don't need to worry about rank, because there are so few out there that qualify for this special caterogy. Everyone else should be very worried about their choice of school and all that other stuff. I know that I would be pretty scared right now if I was them too and didn't have a strong science or math background. Let's face it, it's rough out there and you need every possible advantage you can in this job market.

I also was looking at my options this morning on LSAC and it seems that I will still meet a number of deadlines even if I postpone till February 2011. Of course, these schools are T-3 and T-4 and but that doesn't matter to me to begin with. I'm just there to get the degree and then go on my way to take the Patent Bar.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”