Some vs. Many LR Bible?

twairlines

Some vs. Many LR Bible?

Postby twairlines » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:33 pm

hey guys, I don't have my book at my current apartment, but I remember the LR Bible giving a chart describing many and some. It was like 0-100, and it showed how both of these fit on the scale. If some one can tell me what it said, and if there was a chart for "many are not" and "some are not" that would be greatly appreciated.

tw

kehoema2

Re: Some vs. Many LR Bible?

Postby kehoema2 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:54 pm

I didn't read the bible, but have always followed

many = some = at least one (1-100)

many are not = some are not = at least one is not (0-99)

I don't believe the above has ever failed me. That's all you need to know, really not too complex.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:55 pm

many is plural so it's at least 2. some is at least 1.

normally, you'll use many if you're trying to make a few seem like a lot.

you'll make some if you want to make a side seem small.

straxen

Postby straxen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:12 pm

justadude55 wrote:many is plural so it's at least 2. some is at least 1.

For LSAT purposes, at least 1 vs. at least 2 never matters, always think of "many" and "some" as at least one and don't read anything more into it.

kinoshika

Postby kinoshika » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:34 pm

I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone. I like this particular article It gives me an additional input on the information around the world Thanks a lot and keep going with posting such information.
===========================================
SPAM DELETED BY MODS

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:08 am

straxen wrote:

For LSAT purposes, at least 1 vs. at least 2 never matters, always think of "many" and "some" as at least one and don't read anything more into it.

Thanks. I knew the distinction between many and some did not matter for LSAT purposes and I am glad to see someone confirm it.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:10 am

i think u can use it to predict tone. if he says many, he prob agrees with it. if he says some, a but is coming.

vanwinkle

Re: reply

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:14 am

kinoshika wrote:I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone. I like this particular article It gives me an additional input on the information around the world Thanks a lot and keep going with posting such information.
===========================================

flannelman

Postby flannelman » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:56 am

straxen wrote:

I think this may be off just a bit. Many: indicates a large indefinite number and some indicates a number greater than 0. You can not infer at least two from the quantifier Many. Perhaps you are confusing it with how the term A Few should be treated. A Few: is a small indefinite number greater than two. And can be diagramed as Most are not, or as some. I do not believe however that the term Many indicates specific number exactly so no conclusions can be drawn like at least 2. Best to treat it exactly as you would treat some.

skip james

Postby skip james » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:17 am

flannelman wrote:
straxen wrote:

I think this may be off just a bit. Many: indicates a large indefinite number and some indicates a number greater than 0. You can not infer at least two from the quantifier Many. Perhaps you are confusing it with how the term A Few should be treated. A Few: is a small indefinite number greater than two. And can be diagramed as Most are not, or as some. I do not believe however that the term Many indicates specific number exactly so no conclusions can be drawn like at least 2. Best to treat it exactly as you would treat some.

few and many can sort be considered logical negations of each other.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/few

straxen

Postby straxen » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:15 pm

flannelman wrote:
straxen wrote:

The point is that the LSAT uses these words to test logical reasoning, and logically you can't infer anything different from many vs. some---many could be 500 out of 500 billion, 500 out of 1,001, or 500 out of 501, they are both so imprecise that they should be interpreted to mean at least one. The distinction between a larger indefinite number vs. a smaller indefinite number is so fuzzy that it will never be tested, but many questions will try to trap test-takers into inferring a relationship between a set and subset from the words "some" or "many". Trying to give it more nuance than "at least one" is unnecessarily confusing. There is no need to go any further for LSAT purposes.

I disagree that "few" should categorically be interpreted as "most are not" for the LSAT...but rather "not all".

skip james wrote:
few and many can sort be considered logical negations of each other.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/few

No, they can't.

granato

Postby granato » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:26 pm

The only thing you can infer from many is that some exist.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”