What to do while training for RC?

What to do while training for RC?

Postby PolarBear » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:34 am

I'm still a little ways out from taking the LSAT, and since I've been on this site for awhile, I've picked up the tip of reading the Economist/Scientific American, newspaper, and other dense material to help train my reading comprehension skills. I did a forum search, and can't remember anyone from memory telling me what to do with these materials specifically, though. For instance, with these articles, what should I be attempting to do, or what strategy should I use on each of the articles (other than to retain the information) I would normally just pick up a test book, probably the bibles, but I don't want to burn out or use the material too early on, so I am hoping to get a general strategy that you all use on reading comprehension and how I can effectively transfer those skills to non-LSAT articles. Should I be looking for key words, changes in tone, etc.?

Thanks so much for your help!

Re: What to do while training for RC?

Postby pwyoung » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:10 am

Just try to pick out the things that RC questions typically ask you to do. Make sure you're understanding main points, specific arguments, whether or not they address objections. Practice annotating it and lining out parts you think are important.

Really, the reason I think most recommend readin these kinds of writing are just to get familiar with the density of it so test day you can read through it faster. Tactically, there's not a ton you can do for it.

Postby jamiLAW » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:26 pm

I just took the test in October and was really struggling with reading comp about two weeks before the exam (-8 each section and like -2 in all other sections!)

After sitting and trying to think of what I was doing wrong, I realized that my problem was that I was subconsciously thinking about all the elements I had been studying for in the other sections.

I decided that, right when I started a section, I would take ~10-20 seconds to take a deep breath, clear my mind, and focus only on the the section that I was dealing with...and not only the section, but the individual passage.
When I did this I started to see a significant improvement.

I ended up getting -6 in reading comp during the real test, but I feel like this is much better than I would have done otherwise! Believe me, you may have a lot of thoughts racing through your mind on test day if you don't learn to control them!

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:42 pm

what should I be attempting to do, or what strategy should I use on each of the articles

attempt to read and understand as much of the economist in one sitting. as a previous poster mentioned, it's a way of getting used to the density of the passage. and as the same poster, be able to recognize main points, comparison between views or people--the usual RC questions. basically do you understand the entire article?

i was told by a 2L friend that i should read the Economist cover to cover. something i don't think i'll ever do =P but is probably good advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”