LG is too slow...

niederbomb

LG is too slow...

Postby niederbomb » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:17 pm

I've tried everything:

1) LG Bible, Manhattan LSAT Guide

2) Do tons of games, print out copies of the ones you have trouble with and do them multiple times till you get all the inferences

3) Do old games to learn flexibility

4) Practice, practice, practice 12+ per day

I think I've definitely gotten better. I hardly ever miss a question any more. But I just can't finish the section on time consistently, unless it's a super easy one like PT 47. Most of the time, forget about the last game.

Leaving the end of each LG section blank really drags down my score. A 3.9+ GPA is a bad thing to waste.

Any more ideas?

blerg

Re: LG is too slow...

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Instead of 35 minutes, give yourself 40. Cut a minute off every time you finish a minute early. Keep going until you're at 35.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Instead of 35 minutes, give yourself 40. Cut a minute off every time you finish a minute early. Keep going until you're at 35.

Worth a try since God knows I've tried everything else.

I have been doing the opposite: 30 minutes with the idea that I can't possibly do worse on the real thing.

Problem is: not every LG section is the same. Too much variation between sections. In 30 minutes, I range between 20/23 (typical good) to 12/23 (worst, PT 49).

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:02 pm

LG was my biggest challenge. I never scored a perfect, timed round in practice. On the test, I had done so many I finished with 3 minutes to spare and didn't miss any.

You can do it! You've just got to build yourself up to it.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:28 pm

LG was my biggest challenge. I never scored a perfect, timed round in practice. On the test, I had done so many I finished with 3 minutes to spare and didn't miss any.

You can do it! You've just got to build yourself up to it.

So, besides giving yourself 40 minutes, what else did you do?

I usually give myself 30 minutes, mark where I stopped, then finish it, however long it takes.

Any other suggestions?

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:31 pm

I think when the time came my spidey sense just kicked in. I don't remember (and didn't even right after I took the test) anything about the games.

The patterns were there, the adrenaline was going and I just did it.

I know it's not super helpful, but just keep going. Not everyone makes incremental progress in their learning. I make HUGE jumps with nothing in between and it sounds like you might be that way too.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Well it seems like you are on the right track and I'm sure with committment like that, you will be fine.

For me personally, I have made a word document template for games:

I put

PT___ Game 1 2 3 4 Type of game______ Time taken______

I do the games within the allotted space then mark down how much time it took me to do it; 6 minute, 8 minutes, 10 minutes etc.

Anything over 10 minutes, I flag for an automatic redo.

I think data collection might help you a little bit; although it seems as though you are already tackling this approach with the photocopies, I don't know how intricately you are doing so. I think it might be to your advantage to really focus on what is slowing you down. Is it a grouping game? Sequencing? Are you spending equal amounts of time all 4 games? If so, you shouldn't. There's always one give-me game that can be done in like 6 minutes, giving you more time for the other ones.

I know people loathe this advice but......... If you find the right answer for a question after looking at A B (C) then maybe its in your best interest to go with C and forget making a hypothetical for D and E. In the long run, the sacrifice you make towards your accuracy would be marginal relative to the sacrifice you make by not even getting to see the last few questions of the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”