Narrowing it down to 2

bee's vision

Narrowing it down to 2

Postby bee's vision » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:31 am

What do you do when you can't decide? Skip it and come back? Re-read the stim? Lately I always seem to pick the wrong one.

ComatoseClown

Re: Narrowing it down to 2

Postby ComatoseClown » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:24 am

I once took an SAT Preparation course in the past, and what my tutor would do in situations like this is look at the room clock, and choose the answer based on which section the second hand was located in that moment. For instance, if the second hand was between 12-6, he'd choose A; if it was between 6-12, he'd choose B.

Another thing you could do that I just thought of now is abruptly lift up both your hands (from the paper) vertically (not too high, just too your face), and choose the answer based on which hand ended up raised higher. A for left hand, B for right hand :D

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:52 am

more realistically to eliminate the remaining wrong answer apply a few tests to each answer - scope, relation to premise/conclusion in stim, tone, key words that would make the answer right wrong. These questions are purposefully put in by LSAC to seem as having two attractive answer choices and make you waste time debating. One is always going to be wrong, the quicker you use your knowledge to eliminate it the better off you will be. IMO this skill comes from taking a ton of PTs, with a bunch of review.

Curry

Postby Curry » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:54 am

Read every single word. Try to figure out why the words that were used were put there. Especially when it comes down to the last two choices, the difference is often one word. Also, make sure to keep an eye out for many, most, some, few type words. Those are really good indicators of the validity of the response. Similarly, read the question carefully. There is a difference between stems that ask you to strengthen the argument, fill in a missing assumption, and make the argument completely valid. Once you can differentiate between those, you know what you are looking for, and it makes the test a lot easier to master.

bee's vision

Postby bee's vision » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:58 pm

THanks. All solid advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”