Missing Easy LR Q's, but dominating difficult

threecharacters

Missing Easy LR Q's, but dominating difficult

Postby threecharacters » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:59 am

Hi Folks

Here is my frustration. I've identified my weaknesses. I've gone back over the lesson sections and homework problems. I've done literally hundreds of LR questions and yet, I'm still getting at least 7 wrong per section. And it's mostly the easy ones (1-14)! The questions that Powerscore identifies as "Difficult" or "Hard", I answer correctly 100%. I'm baffled, discouraged and not sure what else to do. I'm clearly missing something and it's driving me nuts that I haven't or don't seem to be improving.

Has anyone else ran into this scenario? Seems like it would be opposite -- I should be missing the hard ones, not the easy ones!

Sandro

Re: Missing Easy LR Q's, but dominating difficult

Postby Sandro » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:05 am

It could be a lot of things. Maybe you are over thinking the questions. In the "easy" questions there will be 2-3 glaringly wrong answers, probably 1 trap, and one answer that clearly is correct.

Are you missing them because you narrow down to 2 and seem to always chose the wrong one? Need more specifics. Also you could be having trouble with a specific kind.

serdog

Postby serdog » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:30 am

Could it be a factor of speed? try to do the "easy" one fast but ya more info please :)

jlhero

Postby jlhero » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 am

i have similar problems...

pt 45 it was so ridiculous 1 of the lr i got 4 wrong 3 from the first 4.

flannelman

Postby flannelman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:59 am

I have a similar problem. I find that for me it tends to be an issue of being more of a right brain thinker though. I usually have no problems with the "hard" or un-diagrammable more conceptual based problems while struggle to efficiently get through the "easy", seemingly more mathematically based problems which are heavy on reading through garbage into hidden conditional statements and such. For myself I find that just going through and doing more and more (with no time limit) of those problems which gave/give me trouble is most helpful.

Problems are defined as being hard and easy by any test company mainly by the percentage of test takers who got/get them correct. If you find that you are consistently getting them right, well then they aren't so hard for you then are they. Focus on the ones which are. A lot. Repetition is key.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:39 am

I've never heard of this before, I don't see how you could get those nasty difficult LR 100% right and mess up a number of easy ones. My thought is you are wayyy over-thinking the easy ones. Sometimes the answer is blatantly there, don't second guess yourself. Often you're first instinct will be the correct answer.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:18 am

It may be what kkklick says - overthinking (I just read an interesting book, How We Decide, which talks about that), but it might also be that you're overconfident when you grasp the argument and can come up with a prediction for the answer. They you might pick the first pretty answer that walks by. Try thinking something like this "I like (B), but let me look for a better answer." Another way of doing this is to actually look for wrong answers "choosing" (eliminating) those, and then when you're done with your first round of eliminations, look for issues in the other two. This sounds like simple process of elimination, but the idea is to actually look for wrong answers.

Maybe try doing one section with that mindset and see how it goes.

threecharacters

Postby threecharacters » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Thank you all for the feedback - I really appreciate it!

I'm mostly tripped up on Must Be True. I understand the concept of how to look for the right answer and how to test for the right answer (info in stimulus must prove answer choice to be true, most often weakest in terms of degree of certainty, but should mirror strength of stimulus), yet somehow when I'm doing a problem I fail to translate what I know into practice. Or at least I'm translating what I know incorrectly. I've done practice sections both timed and untimed and it doesn't really seem to make a difference. I do find that when I narrow the answer choices down to two that more often I'm picking the wrong answer than the correct one.

I'm mostly just curious if anyone else ran into similar issues when studying and how you overcame those challenges. The LSAT seems to not only test you on your critical thinking abilities but also your mental preparedness and stability. I can't possibly be the only one who feels like they're going insane studying for this test. It's truly messing with my mind and I feel like I'm constantly second guessing or reevaluating myself. Even though I have a much better understanding of the stimuli, question types and best approaches, I haven't yet seen any material rewards for my efforts. Do I need to just step away and take a break for a day or two? I'm signed up for the December administration, but I've been seriously considering pushing it back to February to give myself more time.

Postby 2014 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Are you able to maintain focus? Perhaps you are recognizing difficult questions and getting "in the zone" for them, but the easy ones you get a little glossy eyed and miss obvious parts of the argument.

When you go back and review what you did wrong, are you still confused or is it usually "Duh, I feel like an idiot".

threecharacters

Postby threecharacters » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:22 pm

2014 wrote:Are you able to maintain focus? Perhaps you are recognizing difficult questions and getting "in the zone" for them, but the easy ones you get a little glossy eyed and miss obvious parts of the argument.

When you go back and review what you did wrong, are you still confused or is it usually "Duh, I feel like an idiot".

Mostly, "Duh, I feel like an idiot." There have been a couple that I've been confused on and had to think through but then once I understood the correct answer choice it was more obvious.

These are all excellent suggestions and I'm definitely going to keep them in mind as I study tonight. I also got in a good run this evening which helped clear my mind and gave me a little bit more energy.

Thank you!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”