Retake Question

ryegye87

Retake Question

Postby ryegye87 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 pm

So, I'm thinking about retaking the lsat in Feb for this next admissions cycle. I did okay on the October test (167), but I know that if I take the time to practice, I can likely get around a 173. Is Feb too late to retake and still expect to get into a decent school? I've already sent out a ton of my applications, so my plan was to retake and if I do better, bump myself off any waitlists or possibly get reconsidered at some rejections. Is this a realistic possibility? Or will I end up getting sold short on my score because of size constraints for incoming classes. My goal school is Michigan (applied ED, went there UG, and in-state resident). As for my softs (because I know someone will ask), I'm not sure what makes decent or not decent, but I would say they're better than average. Leadership positions, regular volunteer and philanthropy experience since the age of 14, college sports, two years experience in two separate and well respected law offices as an assistant, and maintained ~25 hours per week part time during undergrad and a 60 hour a week job during summers. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sandro

Re: Retake Question

Postby Sandro » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:29 pm

the jump from 167 to 173 is huge. Take the Feb test and if you score near 173 I would suggest waiting until the next cycle.

ryegye87

Postby ryegye87 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:51 pm

Well, that's kind of my issue. I really don't want to wait until the next cycle as I'm already taking a year off (and took a 5th while in college). If I end up with a 173-ish and don't get into schools I think I would have if I applied in, say, November, then yes I will likely take another year off. My question is whether or not a 173 in February will have any merit in THIS cycle though. As additional information added later on in the process, does it have the strong, little, or no potential in bumping me off any future waitlists, or more importantly, having schools I've already applied to and been rejected from, reconsider?

etown989

Postby etown989 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:10 pm

ryegye87 wrote:Well, that's kind of my issue. I really don't want to wait until the next cycle as I'm already taking a year off (and took a 5th while in college). If I end up with a 173-ish and don't get into schools I think I would have if I applied in, say, November, then yes I will likely take another year off. My question is whether or not a 173 in February will have any merit in THIS cycle though. As additional information added later on in the process, does it have the strong, little, or no potential in bumping me off any future waitlists, or more importantly, having schools I've already applied to and been rejected from, reconsider?

once you are rejected (and im almost 100% positive on this) then that is it for that school that cycle. Im sure a 173 jump would get you off a wait list though, def been known to happen

ryegye87

Postby ryegye87 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:32 pm

Thank you for the response. I thought I read on here that a school can reconsider your application in light of new information, such as an increased lsat score, even after they've rejected you for a certain cycle. The difference being that it is up to the school to decide whether or not they are willing to make such a reconsideration, and that you as an application are not allowed to have any say in it through reapplication. I may call some schools tomorrow to find out they're feelings about this as I could definitely be wrong...

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 am

well then your best case scenario at schools you are accepted by the time you take Feb will be : maybe more scholarship

Waitlists: Maybe off the waitlist, depending on school

I understand about not wanting to take a year off. So it seems like go out, kill the Feb LSAT, and if you arent into a school you arent comfortable in by the end of your cycle than either tough it out or wait another year.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”