Consistency once you're scoring high - any tips?

pineappledazzler

Consistency once you're scoring high - any tips?

Postby pineappledazzler » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:36 pm

I've been studying for about 2 months and am taking the December 2010 LSAT.
My last 10 PT scores have been: 174 (PT 43), 169 (PT 44), 174 (PT 45), 178 (PT 42), 175 (PT 46), 170 (PT 47), 173 (PT 49), 175 (PT 48), 175 (PT 50), 170 (PT 51), 176 (PT 52)

Ideally I'm aiming for a 175+ on test day, and I've proven to myself that I CAN score that high - it's just that I'm relatively inconsistent in terms of where I'm scoring, as evidenced above...these tests were the ones taken over the past 3 weeks or so. I go -1 or -0 on LG every time. LR and RC are wacky; RC wasn't clicking (was going avg of -4/5) but suddenly it's been so much better ie: -1/-0 on 3 of the most recent 4 tests (although -5 on the 2nd most recent). And LR I'm getting wrong questions from all over the place, and all over the difficulty spectrum - in fact mostly 2/3 star questions.

Any tips to really improve so I'm consistently performing at my best by test day? I've tried to just focus very hard on every PT but even that's producing variable results...

pineappledazzler

Re: Consistency once you're scoring high - any tips?

Postby pineappledazzler » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:45 am

any helpful hints at all...?

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:57 pm

These might sound like cliches, but how you review can be crucial. For one, don't just review the answers you get wrong, also review the ones you take too long on, or feel strange about, etc. Figure out how each wrong answer is wrong. For RC, go back and find the textual evidence for each correct answer (again, this is in review).

Also, start making a list of errors you make (reversed the order, confused necc. and suff., didn't notice it was an EXCEPT question, couldn't boil down the argument to its core). At first it might seem like there's a wide variety, but the process might reveal something to you.

Then, you might also want to do a couple 6-section LSATs to work up your stamina.

I hope that helps.

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:32 pm

thanks - will definitely try doing 6-section PTs and see if going back to a 5-section afterwards makes any difference. Any other tips? I thought I would get loads of advice considering there seem to be a lot of scorers in this range on this site...?

BilderMoss

Postby BilderMoss » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:38 am

I'm consistently 175+ and in my first ten PTs I was about as inconsistent as you. To be honest though I'm not sure what made the difference other than taking more practice tests. I think it may help to get faster so you have more time to go back and look at the questions you marked (as questionable) a second time. I usually have time now to go back and change answers and my guess is that's helped.

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:44 am

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:These might sound like cliches, but how you review can be crucial. For one, don't just review the answers you get wrong, also review the ones you take too long on, or feel strange about, etc. Figure out how each wrong answer is wrong. For RC, go back and find the textual evidence for each correct answer (again, this is in review).

Also, start making a list of errors you make (reversed the order, confused necc. and suff., didn't notice it was an EXCEPT question, couldn't boil down the argument to its core). At first it might seem like there's a wide variety, but the process might reveal something to you.

Then, you might also want to do a couple 6-section LSATs to work up your stamina.

I hope that helps.

+1. The critical element once you are only missing one or two per exam is to review any question you did not immediately and instinctually know the answer to.

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:31 pm

I'll take this all into account as I head into these last 3 weeks...have got PTs 53,54,55,57,59, 60,61 left (started in late 20s, but had done 56/58 at the outset before realizing I should save later ones for last). Hopefully, will even out over these last tests...

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:56 pm

pineappledazzler wrote:I'll take this all into account as I head into these last 3 weeks...have got PTs 53,54,55,57,59, 60,61 left (started in late 20s, but had done 56/58 at the outset before realizing I should save later ones for last). Hopefully, will even out over these last tests...

57 and 59 are definately nasty, if you get 170+, consider yourself in good shape.

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:38 pm

Took 57 and got a 177 today so am more optimistic! I plan on doing 53 and 54 this week, 55 and 59 next week, and 60 and 61 and some general review the week leading up to the test - does this sound like a good strategy?

ams

Postby ams » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:54 pm

I think that sounds like a great strategy. I would highly recommend doing 6 section tests. I did all my PTs with 6 sections and I think it really helped. I would also recommend writing out explanations for every question you get wrong--why the wrong answers are wrong and why the right one is right.

Your PT scores sound a lot like mine--the lowest and highest scores are probably outliers. Your PT average is 173.5--I would say you're in good shape. My PT average was 174, and I ended up scoring above that. Don't freak out about the 169.

For me, half the test is mental. Even if you have never experienced test anxiety in the past, I would recommend preparing for that possibility by working on some breathing exercises. If you learn to control your breathing, it's physically impossible to panic.

http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/cou ... g%20II.mp3
http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/cou ... xation.mp3

One thing that helped me get over the LR hump (took me from about -3 to -1 per section) was a podcast called LSAT Logic in Everyday Life.

http://www.radiotpr.com/lsatpodcastfeed.xml
Last edited by ams on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JustE

Postby JustE » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:57 pm

ams wrote:I think that sounds like a great strategy. I would highly recommend doing 6 section tests. I did all my PTs with 6 sections and I think it really helped. I would also recommend writing out explanations for every question you get wrong--why the wrong answers are wrong and why the right one is right.

Your PT scores sound a lot like mine--the lowest and highest scores are probably outliers. Your PT average is 173.5--I would say you're in good shape. My PT average was 174, and I ended up scoring above that. Don't freak out about the 169.

For me, half the test is mental. Even if you have never experienced test anxiety in the past, I would recommend preparing for that possibility by working on some breathing exercises. If you learn to control your breathing, it's physically impossible to panic.

http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/cou ... g%20II.mp3
http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/cou ... xation.mp3

One thing that helped me get over the LR hump (took me from about -3 to -1 per section) was a podcast called LSAT Logic in Everyday Life.

http://www.radiotpr.com/lsatpodcastfeed.xml

Interesting links. Taking them for a spin now.

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:18 am

yes, thanks for the links, will definitely take a look.

blink

Postby blink » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:33 am

Try taking some tests in variable locations. You never know what you might get as far as your test center goes on gameday, so be ready by taking a full-length (or longer) PT in the large reading room in your library, the local coffee shop, your room in your apt (if there is a reasonably low amount of noise), etc. Learning to deal with commotion is critical to becoming unflappable on test day. Best of Luck!

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:33 am

What would you say would be an optimal noise level? I've been alternating between my dorm room and two different libraries, one which is quite silent and the other which has a lot of comings/goings/whispering students - I thought the latter would be a good practice location in terms of distraction levels being what they were, but I had friends/acquaintances coming over to interrupt me, not realizing what I was doing, which isn't exactly a good recreation of test day...

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:40 am

Dont try to stay where you are but keep trying to get higher.

blink

Postby blink » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:39 am

pineappledazzler wrote:What would you say would be an optimal noise level? I've been alternating between my dorm room and two different libraries, one which is quite silent and the other which has a lot of comings/goings/whispering students - I thought the latter would be a good practice location in terms of distraction levels being what they were, but I had friends/acquaintances coming over to interrupt me, not realizing what I was doing, which isn't exactly a good recreation of test day...

yeah, that's an unforseen difficulty. try going to an out of the way coffee shop (read: one where you won't have this problem, maybe a ways off campus or a few minutes out of town)

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks for all this, I'll try that. I've gotten a 177(57), 172(58), 176(53), 175(54) on the past few I've done so hopefully it'll help to try some new locations, etc. Only have 4 more PTs to take over the next 2 weeks (55, 59, 60, 61).

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:07 pm

hm this sort of happened with me too; i would score a few around 175, a few above 175, then always dip to a 170, 169 on like the 5th or 6th test lol. im assuming practice will iron the kinks out -- it may work out on test day hah

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Unfortunately I don't have much reassuring news. I was in pretty much the exact same boat before taking the October LSAT, with scores ranging from about 173-180. On test day, I ended up getting a 170... :(

To be honest, though, I blame the poor performance largely on a serious caffeine overdose, which made me SUPER jittery and anxious through the middle part of the test. If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to get your game day routine down as early as possible. Get used to waking up early, practice with the same bathroom breaks you'll have on test day, and figure out what caffeine/food/etc combo that you should be using to feel focused throughout the test.

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:58 pm

As an undergrad in college, with several days with 9am lectures/classes, it's been rather impossible for me to take the tests at exactly the right time - but I have taken several at around 11/12-2/3pm, after a lecture or two and with conditions otherwise those of test day (ie: timing sections, one break after first 3 for water/snack). Hoping this will be okay. I'll be home a few days before test day so plan to go to the library and do PT 61 at 8am as a simulation.
On other fronts, I'my latest PT was a 178 on PT #55 - I've only got 59, 60 and 61 left to do.

Any suggestion for the week before the test specifically? Don't want to do too much to prevent burnout, but don't want to back away too soon either...

And thanks again for your help to everyone who offered advice, it's been really helpful to have a place to ask!

pineappledazzler

Postby pineappledazzler » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:45 am

Took PT 59 today and got a 174 - whoever said it was more difficult was definitely right. The LG (-0) and LR (-3) went as usual but RC was much worse than average (-5 as opposed to -0/1/2).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”