Tricks for Assumption LR?

Tricks for Assumption LR?

Postby gambelda » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 am

I've tried everything, changing the question stem to something that might facilitate the ease of selecting a correct AC, I've tried the negate and attack method, the mechanistic approaches. I've even tried to take the question at face asking myself what is missing? Inevitably I miss 2 in every PT and when I review them, at least 1 of the 2, the AC smacks me in the face of the first reread and I wonder what the hell I was thinking when I didn't select it.

Please throw out absolutely ANYTHING that helped you when you were studying these question types. I'm desperate.

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, errrr..TLS, you are my only hope

Re: Tricks for Assumption LR?

Postby Taekwonthis » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:12 pm

I know for me, I always use the method of identifying the conclusion, then just finding a weakness in it without a certain piece of information that is missing from the argument. If I struggle with finding it or I am between two answers, I go with the opposite of the answer choice and seeing if it ruins the argument completely. You had said you tried that so I can't really offer much help other then that but hopefully you are able to figure it out.

Re: Tricks for Assumption LR?

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:17 pm

I didn't use the negation technique much while prepping or studying, but in October when I was taking the test and I was faced with some really tricky LR questions, I remembered the negation technique and it helped me a lot.

When several answer choices all look good, the negation technique can help you determine which one is truly required, and which ones are merely very supportive of the argument.

Negate them, and then see which one completely invalidates the argument. I can't stress enough how powerful this technique is!

I wouldn't have got a 175 in October if it weren't for this.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”