Busting the low 170's plateau. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
58932ugahoige

New

Busting the low 170's plateau.

Post by 58932ugahoige » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Are there techniques for questions? Is there a way you improved from low 170's to mid/high?

I'm finding I just have a lot of brain farts, + the occasional question that is legitimately hard that I screw up. My current approach is "just be smarter", and that isn't really working too well right now; I'm still scoring low 170's.

For those who have improved their scores (PT or Real) was there something special that helped you get there?

BilderMoss

New

Re: Busting the low 170's plateau.

Post by BilderMoss » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:33 pm

I was averaging 173-174 when I started and now I average 178-179. I don't think there's really anything specific though. I make sure to make all my inferences in logic games first now (when I didn't know what I was doing, I would make inferences as I went through the questions and sometimes i ran out of time.) I didn't use a study bible or take a class, I just did lots of practice tests.

I had the same experience as you, where the mistakes are often simple, but I think as you take more practice tests you learn to pay closer attention and you get a better feel for the correct answer. A lot of people mention trying to predict the answer you'll want after reading the prompt but before reading the choices. I think I've gained a better eye for answers that are too broad to be correct or have slight variations that make them incorrect as well. LSAT loves it when the difference between the right and wrong answer is a single word and preferably a small, nearly insignificant one. I suppose I'm faster as well, I have more time to look over answers after I finish now.

This probably wasn't very helpful but those are the only changes in my performance I've noticed. Good luck.

bmwhype2

New

Post by bmwhype2 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:11 am

BilderMoss wrote:I was averaging 173-174 when I started and now I average 178-179. I don't think there's really anything specific though. I make sure to make all my inferences in logic games first now (when I didn't know what I was doing, I would make inferences as I went through the questions and sometimes i ran out of time.) I didn't use a study bible or take a class, I just did lots of practice tests.

I had the same experience as you, where the mistakes are often simple, but I think as you take more practice tests you learn to pay closer attention and you get a better feel for the correct answer. A lot of people mention trying to predict the answer you'll want after reading the prompt but before reading the choices. I think I've gained a better eye for answers that are too broad to be correct or have slight variations that make them incorrect as well. LSAT loves it when the difference between the right and wrong answer is a single word and preferably a small, nearly insignificant one. I suppose I'm faster as well, I have more time to look over answers after I finish now.

This probably wasn't very helpful but those are the only changes in my performance I've noticed. Good luck.
how long did it take for you to get to this level of efficiency

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:28 am

What helped me move from the low 170s to the high 170s on my PTs was an attitude adjustment. I just got really aggressive about answering the questions. If you're scoring in the low 170s, you know the material. The rest is mental.

I still scored in the low 170s on test day, though (nerves = stupid mistake on LG).

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:39 am

plenipotentiary wrote:What helped me move from the low 170s to the high 170s on my PTs was an attitude adjustment. I just got really aggressive about answering the questions. If you're scoring in the low 170s, you know the material. The rest is mental.

I still scored in the low 170s on test day, though (nerves = stupid mistake on LG).
I second that. Also I think doing 6 section tests or 5+ a set of the Hardest Questions really got me over the hump on test day.
If you make your studying sessions more intense than the actual test you will have more control on test day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

58932ugahoige

New

Post by 58932ugahoige » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:19 pm

What is this "hardest questions" of which you speak?

I did the same on test day. I was very focused and nailed every hard question in LR. I had the odd brain fart, and screwed up 2 easy LR. Only got 3 RC wrong.

Then I relaxed on easy logic games, wrote a rule down incorrectly, and proceeded to rock 1/6 questions right on the last logic game. In the last 184 logic games questions I wrote prior to the test I got 3 wrong.

I want to make the 175 that I SHOULD have gotten a certainty; I am afraid it may have just been a lucky fluke on a test day, and a missed opportunity!

BilderMoss

New

Post by BilderMoss » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Same thing happened to me, I got 3 or 4 wrong on that last logic game and it blew my score completely.

And to answer your question, it took about 6 tests before I felt I had made that improvement and about 10 before it was reflected in my scores.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”