winging the LSAT?

sangr

winging the LSAT?

Postby sangr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:59 pm

ok so I've made a post about how my eyes are screwed up. the doc says that my eyes are basically overworked... and gave me eyedrops WTF?
while my shitty eyesight has been with me for over a month now

anyways... I tried taking a section and it's just annoying as he'll... I've already registered for dec LSAT ... what would u guys say about not doing much work and winging it.
I took it in October and got a 165.... however leading up to the oct tset I took a week off too I dunno how badly it affected me or if it affectEd me at all.
u guys under the impression that LSAT knowledge sticks with u or that u should do repitition at all times?

helfer snooterbagon

Re: winging the LSAT?

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Just go for it!

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:04 pm

sangr wrote:ok so I've made a post about how my eyes are screwed up. the doc says that my eyes are basically overworked... and gave me eyedrops WTF?
while my shitty eyesight has been with me for over a month now

anyways... I tried taking a section and it's just annoying as he'll... I've already registered for dec LSAT ... what would u guys say about not doing much work and winging it.
I took it in October and got a 165.... however leading up to the oct tset I took a week off too I dunno how badly it affected me or if it affectEd me at all.
u guys under the impression that LSAT knowledge sticks with u or that u should do repitition at all times?

fu'ck it, go for it

sangr

Postby sangr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:13 pm

Lol i expected replies going " no dont do that"

but i get two in a row, extremely succinct replies telling me to just do it.

hmmmmm..kinda suspicious..LOL

but yeah if you guys genuinely meant that...ill think bout both sides aha

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Depends. If you busted your butt insanely and studied so much that you, uh, went blind when you were studying for the October test, it's possible that you'll actually do better just letting your brain rest and absorb everything for December. If you were halfhearted about it, or if you felt that there were some things that you weren't getting, even for October, then you probably should not try to take the test on no practice in December.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:51 pm

I think that LSAT knowledge sticks with you but w/o repetition are you probably going to lose a couple of points due to forgetting some subtle trick or another. I know this sounds ridiculous but is there any you can get someone to read you the questions to at least LR/RC? Might not be ideal but the LSAT is really damn important and winging it is not the way to go but going blind isn't either.

sangr

Postby sangr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:08 pm

thanks guys for the serious replies.
thing is I'd like to take time off and take it in February.. thus probably applyjng to LS Later (I already took a year off)
basically they think I'm pussin out for this test and I should just try it on December. saying I can take it again in feb. also I gave them a halfassed explanation for what I would do in the year following... EVEN so I believed healing my eyes and going another year later is more worth it than with my current score (165) which I believe I took with shitty condition.
I can actually read some LRs on a slow pace but reading is outta the question... I can't handle that Much text.

so whose right me or my parents?

crap! I'm in such a dilemma ..

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:14 am

I am kind of the opposite, when I do lsat too much my scores start to drop. I've gotten my best PTs after having ignored the test for a week and then hit it.

I know I am probably screwed for law school if I can't put forth full mental effort day in and day out.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:51 pm

If your eyes are dying, you have medical reason not to be doing this right now, and you can say so to your parents.

allison34363

Postby allison34363 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Eye problems would seem to be a hindrance if you got into law school. Unless they make braille case books?

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:51 am

No man, just do it!

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Just winging the LSAT, nbd

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:29 pm

You do know that LSAC has released every LSAT PT in audiobook form and several with the inscription of braille characters right? I don't understand why you can't listen to them and practice or have someone tutor you in braille. I'm sure it's expensive but it would be worth it come test day. It sounds to me like you're just trying to find excuses to get out of studying for December.

I think your lack of motivation is actually quite irritating considering someone like Helen Keller who was completely shut off from the world at only eighteen months old. I mean she fought a slow and difficult battle and became a very intelligent woman. She devoted her whole life to learning how to write and speak and labored endlessly to do so.

Not to mention that she was blind AND deaf, you're only temporarily blind so you really don't have an excuse at all. I'm starting to wonder if this is a flame or something because you sound like you're just trying to get us to feel sorry for you. Well I'm sorry, but someone who is just a little blind isn't going to gain any sympathy from me.

I mean what if Ray Charles decided to give up playing the piano or just started "winging it" because he thought being blind was "just annoying as hell"?

I mean really think about, and consider those who overcame similar obstacles before you. Think about Helen and Ray.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:44 pm

naterj wrote:You do know that LSAC has released every LSAT PT in audiobook form and several with the inscription of braille characters right? I don't understand why you can't listen to them and practice or have someone tutor you in braille. I'm sure it's expensive but it would be worth it come test day. It sounds to me like you're just trying to find excuses to get out of studying for December.

I think your lack of motivation is actually quite irritating considering someone like Helen Keller who was completely shut off from the world at only eighteen months old. I mean she fought a slow and difficult battle and became a very intelligent woman. She devoted her whole life to learning how to write and speak and labored endlessly to do so.

Not to mention that she was blind AND deaf, you're only temporarily blind so you really don't have an excuse at all. I'm starting to wonder if this is a flame or something because you sound like you're just trying to get us to feel sorry for you. Well I'm sorry, but someone who is just a little blind isn't going to gain any sympathy from me.

I mean what if Ray Charles decided to give up playing the piano or just started "winging it" because he thought being blind was "just annoying as hell"?

I mean really think about, and consider those who overcame similar obstacles before you. Think about Helen and Ray.

lol

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:56 pm

JazzOne wrote:
naterj wrote:You do know that LSAC has released every LSAT PT in audiobook form and several with the inscription of braille characters right? I don't understand why you can't listen to them and practice or have someone tutor you in braille. I'm sure it's expensive but it would be worth it come test day. It sounds to me like you're just trying to find excuses to get out of studying for December.

lol

I think LSAT PT audiobook is a pretty cool guy. eh keeps me company on road trips and doesn't afraid of anything.

But seriously, to the OP, if your eyesight is preventing you from studying properly and will negatively affect your exam performance, it sounds like you should postpone. Take in Feb or June and apply next cycle.

No one likes to wait, but if you can't prep well now and won't be able to focus on Test Day, you'd be unlikely to reach your fullest potential. Better to take care of the LSAT when you're at your best. Good luck with getting your eyesight back to normal.

sangr

Postby sangr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:19 pm

JazzOne wrote:

lol

wow...LOL

ok i wasnt even gonna reply to this but here goes.

First of all, i dont give two shits about what people on the internet feel for me. I only come on this site for one reason and one reason only, to have the most successful run at law school that I can have. This is also WHY i made this thread, because i know there are people on this site who are more knowledgeable than i am on this topic, and that there may be people who have been in the same situation as i am experiencing. can it be remedied? am i bein a lil bitch about it? I DONT KNOW, whether im bein a wussy or whether my situation is legitimately worthy of concern, its the first time in my life experiencing this, and first time in my life applying for law school, so OF COURSE ill at least ask people about it.

the advice that I got so far from all of you was great, and it DID help me.
So, if you have any further advice or constructive criticism for my situation please feel free to do so, God knows I'll take and need advice in my app process. Otherwise, please dont bother to make any judgments about my character because I wont reply anymore. If anything though, your hellen keller example was still great because i think ANYONE benefits from hearing about those who are riddled with more difficulties than they are.

thanks everyone for all the advice! Always helps to get input on here!

Mod can lock this if he/she feels its gone off topic.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:44 pm

sangr wrote: am i bein a lil bitch about it? I DONT KNOW, whether im bein a wussy or whether my situation is legitimately worthy of concern

Of course its not worthy of concern. First of all, I'm not just applying to law school, I'm applying to med school as well. As an undergraduate I've spent extensive time researching sight deficiencies and how they effect performance on standardized tests.

My findings show that 1 in every 100 people who take standardized tests fall under the definition of "legally blind" so your case is not rare nor is it special.

My findings also show that blind people actually score on average higher than non-blind test takers because they're more "in tune" with the test and are able to use their intuition and other acute senses to answer questions accurately.

One successful method you might want to practice is just envisioning the test in your mind. I'm serious, just sit down with a practice test and leave the booklet closed. Now envision what the questions look like and let your intuition guide your hand and pencil to bubble the correct answers like a ouija board. The pencil will serve as the movable indicator and your fingers will physically move the pencil and manifest the correct answers.

Do this for twenty or thirty hours a week and you will do great on test day.

You may also actually try conjuring the spirit of Helen Keller while doing this exercise. This is no bullshit, these methods have been proven to work. Good luck op and if you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”