Quick flipping of the test book to figure out experimental ?

proteinstolaw

Quick flipping of the test book to figure out experimental ?

Postby proteinstolaw » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:20 am

Questions for you all, appreciate it.

1. Is it true that the experimental always falls before the "half-time"?

2. If the experimental section is a LG or RC, will it be so easy to pinpoint that once you flip the test book right after you just start Test 1 and see any LG or RC will be repeated at Test 4 or 5? This is almost fool-proof for LG and RC, provided Statement 1 is true with the assumption that no 2 LG and 2 RC will be given together in the same half. And this is tricky when you have 3 LR. Statement 2 does not apply.

Thanks!

paratactical

Re: Quick flipping of the test book to figure out experimental ?

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 am

I suggest you try it and let us know how it works out!

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:25 am

1 yes the experimental will be one of the first 3 sections

2 don't flip ahead. Its cheating.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:28 am

On the June test after the 3rd section when we came back in they told us to turn to section 4 but I accidentally
(yes it was an accident) turned to section 5 and saw RC, and having had RC first I knew that the first one was fake. But don't do it, in October someone in my testing center got kicked out for looking inside the test booklet while people were still filling in the answer sheet for registration.

proteinstolaw

Postby proteinstolaw » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 am

Aren't we supposed to check for any problems (seriously, what kind of problems will be the test book ever going to have? Missing pages? Holes in the sheets? Protruding staples?) of the test book after we break the seal? Or you can determine the experimental real quick during then?

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:44 am

proteinstolaw wrote:Aren't we supposed to check for any problems (seriously, what kind of problems will be the test book ever going to have? Missing pages? Holes in the sheets? Protruding staples?) of the test book after we break the seal? Or you can determine the experimental real quick during then?

There is no point at which the proctors tell you to check for problems by flipping through the book. In fact, there is a very clearly written notification to STOP turning pages at the end of each section. So in conclusion, don't do it.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:50 am

The Gentleman wrote:1 yes the experimental will be one of the first 3 sections

2 don't flip ahead. Its cheating.

3. If you are caught cheating, you are fucked.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Does it bother anyone else that he wants to go to law school but is asking if it's okay to cheat on the entrance exam? These types of questions should result in an instant TLS ban IMO.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:05 pm

gambelda wrote:Does it bother anyone else that he wants to go to law school but is asking if it's okay to cheat on the entrance exam? These types of questions should result in an instant TLS ban IMO.

Sweet insight, chief.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
gambelda wrote:Does it bother anyone else that he wants to go to law school but is asking if it's okay to cheat on the entrance exam? These types of questions should result in an instant TLS ban IMO.

Sweet insight, chief.

The sad part is I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I'm leaning towards yes. I guess us Michigan State University folk think quite differently than the University of Michigan folk just a stones throw away. Soon I'll be in your law school, steeeeeeeelin' your educations.

Sorry been reading the cat thread in the social lounge too much :roll:

proteinstolaw

Postby proteinstolaw » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Message taken guys! Some of you are so worked up, time to breathe man.I promise I won't flip ok?

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:49 pm

proteinstolaw wrote:Message taken guys! Some of you are so worked up, time to breathe man.I promise I won't flip ok?

I hope you flip. One less lawyer to compete with for jobs after I graduate. :mrgreen:

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Well, the pages on the actual LSAT test are really thin. When I was told to flip the LSAT book over and read the directions, I couldn't make out any of the actual wording but I could make it out it was an LG section. I also had an LG section as an experimental in the first 3 sections but I didn't want to risk LSAC being cute and putting the experimental as the 5th section.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:11 pm

If you flip ahead, even if you don't get caught immediately, the stress of wondering if they saw you will far outweigh and advantage gained from knowing which one is real. Plus, trying to figure out which one is experimental is stupid. It all counts, it all gets your full attention, end of story.

omninode

Postby omninode » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:24 pm

KevinP wrote:Well, the pages on the actual LSAT test are really thin. When I was told to flip the LSAT book over and read the directions, I couldn't make out any of the actual wording but I could make it out it was an LG section. I also had an LG section as an experimental in the first 3 sections but I didn't want to risk LSAC being cute and putting the experimental as the 5th section.

Exactly. I would not make assumptions based on a casual glance through the book. You never know when they might decide to switch up the rules without warning. I think it is best to just take each section on its own.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Hey op.. Your 1L exams and the bar exam are going to be pretty tough too... You plan on cheating on those as well?

1republic

Postby 1republic » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:31 am

On a slightly similar note, I was a little surprised that the proctors tell you to read directions. I remember the LR bible said to never read directions on the real thing, so I just went straight into the questions even though the proctor officially started time after he told us to read the directions. It is on the same page, so I assume it's not cheating right? I'm going to retake in Feb and just want to make sure I can really start working even though those 20 seconds or so are for "reading directions"

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:09 am

Sounds like your proctor didn't have it right. I think they're supposed to say: "read the directions and start" or something to that effect. Regardless, as soon as they tell you to flip that first page it's game on.

lsatter

Postby lsatter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:26 pm

Why on earth would you do this? Quite aside from the fact that it's cheating and against the rules, which should by itself be enough to stop you, why go to the extra stress and thought process to work this all out? Even if you have a formation which suggests you can work out which the exp is, you have no way of knowing for sure until you get the pdfs back, and are you really prepared to throw away 20% of your possible marks if you get it wrong by taking a break in the middle?

Just do all the sections as though they're real, which, by and large, they are.

Chuch

Postby Chuch » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Although I didn't flip ahead, I could tell which section was the experimental by the first couple of questions. I used that time for a much needed cigarette break. I'm 100% positive that cigarette boosted my score by ~5 points.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:44 pm

If someone were, hypothetically speaking, to have noticed on the December '07 test that the fourth section was RC while opening up to the first section (by opening a little too far in the test booklet purely by accident), and the first section also happened to be RC, and if said person, hypothetically speaking, were to have realized that this meant that the first section was 99% likely to be experimental, said person would probably, hypothetically speaking, have continued to work the experimental section as a normal section, just for the warm-up to get the brain going, but perhaps a little bit more calmly than a normal section (i.e. if said person were not to finish the last couple of questions, said person would not freak out).

This is all hypothetical, of course.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”