Advice re: 3rd LSAT

mlsdreamer

Advice re: 3rd LSAT

Postby mlsdreamer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:40 am

I took the June LSAT and received a 162 with minimal prep. By and large this consisted of LRB/LGB, drilling games by type, and about 10 PTs. The 162 in June was by and large expected, in hindsight I shouldn't have been sitting if I wasn't ready.

Fast forward to October, I had studied dilligently for a period of 3 months, re-doing LRB/LGB and taking over 25 new PTs, strictly timed at the local library, reviewing wrong answers, etc., averaging a 169. Received a 163 in October and was devastated. (-5LR1, -8!! RC, -3, LR2, -5!! LG).

I took a new PT yesterday after not looking at anything for a month. Strictly timed (though only 4 sections) and I scored a 173 (-0 LR1, -6!! RC, -0 LG, -3 LR).

I was planning on forgetting about the LSAT until next April, studying for a little over 2 months, and sitting in June. In light of the this score I am inclined to re-take in December. What would you do if you were in my shoes? I would be okay attending a T30 school but would much prefer T14 (Michigan #1 choice).

TL;DR - 162 in June (not ready), 163 in October (6 points below average), cold 173 yesterday. Wasn't planning on December retake - should I late register and try to shoot some late apps off after receiving that score? Or should I wait until June and re-prep again?

Thanks

Ginj

Re: Advice re: 3rd LSAT

Postby Ginj » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:43 am

mlsdreamer wrote:I took the June LSAT and received a 162 with minimal prep. By and large this consisted of LRB/LGB, drilling games by type, and about 10 PTs. The 162 in June was by and large expected, in hindsight I shouldn't have been sitting if I wasn't ready.

Fast forward to October, I had studied dilligently for a period of 3 months, re-doing LRB/LGB and taking over 25 new PTs, strictly timed at the local library, reviewing wrong answers, etc., averaging a 169. Received a 163 in October and was devastated. (-5LR1, -8!! RC, -3, LR2, -5!! LG).

I took a new PT yesterday after not looking at anything for a month. Strictly timed (though only 4 sections) and I scored a 173 (-0 LR1, -6!! RC, -0 LG, -3 LR).

I was planning on forgetting about the LSAT until next April, studying for a little over 2 months, and sitting in June. In light of the this score I am inclined to re-take in December. What would you do if you were in my shoes? I would be okay attending a T30 school but would much prefer T14 (Michigan #1 choice).

TL;DR - 162 in June (not ready), 163 in October (6 points below average), cold 173 yesterday. Wasn't planning on December retake - should I late register and try to shoot some late apps off after receiving that score? Or should I wait until June and re-prep again?

Thanks

Have you taken any other PT's since October, or are you feeling confident because of one test? If you're averaging around the 173 mark on several PT's under simulated testing conditions, then I say go for it. If you're basing this off of one test during which you only sat through 4 sections, I'd say jumping to take the December test is premature.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 am

I wouldn't take it unless you're 100% confident that you have a good chance of scoring above 170. This is your 3rd LSAT. If you mess this one up you're done (barring requesting a school to sponsor you for a 4th).

mlsdreamer

Postby mlsdreamer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 am

Thanks for the responses. I really never thought I'd be in this spot, but I am so I'm just trying to figure out the best way to move forward.

I am confident I can score above a 170 - I'm just worried that if I score a 169 it's not enough of a jump to get in anywhere I'd really want to attend, especially given the 162/163 previously.
If only I could read (you know, left to right, up and down the page)!

I am torn between having a month left with not much prep material that is fresh vs. taking the time off, retaking, and applying next cycle. The allure of December is if I break 170+ I can still apply late to UMich, and if rejected, nothing lost on applying early next cycle.

I think I need to take a few more fresh, 5-section PTs before the late registration date and make a better informed decision. 3 LSATs, jeeze.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:46 pm

mlsdreamer wrote:Thanks for the responses. I really never thought I'd be in this spot, but I am so I'm just trying to figure out the best way to move forward.

I am confident I can score above a 170 - I'm just worried that if I score a 169 it's not enough of a jump to get in anywhere I'd really want to attend, especially given the 162/163 previously.
If only I could read (you know, left to right, up and down the page)!

I am torn between having a month left with not much prep material that is fresh vs. taking the time off, retaking, and applying next cycle. The allure of December is if I break 170+ I can still apply late to UMich, and if rejected, nothing lost on applying early next cycle.

I think I need to take a few more fresh, 5-section PTs before the late registration date and make a better informed decision. 3 LSATs, jeeze.

If you don't mind applying next cycle at all, I'd wait until June. You can GREATLY increase your RC before June by reading hard material in general (Economist, books, etc). It will also help your LR slightly.

RC is my worst section. But I have only taken the LSAT once, so if I mess up in Dec I still have one more shot.

If I get lucky and score a -3 or less on RC in Dec I could very well get a 180. I've gotten -0/-1 LR, -0 LG on a number of tests. I'd like to apply this cycle just to get it out of the way, even if I decide to wait until 2012 to go to law school.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”