Ritalin & Adderall on the lsat

t13plz

Ritalin & Adderall on the lsat

Postby t13plz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:13 am

Let me clarify, before I start getting some insane amount of ethics lectures, I have a prescription. I have had a prescription since middle school. I am not trying to gain an "unfair" competitive edge. Please, please, do not feel threatened and feel the need to give me a follow up lecture about drug abuse. I grow tired of this subject.

So, anyone have any thoughts on the advantages of taking ritalin during test prep? Or on the actual test? Or during practice tests?

Anecdotal evidence from anyone with/without a prescription is welcome. Hell, evidence about a friends friend is welcome.

Nonok

Re: Ritalin & Adderall on the lsat

Postby Nonok » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:06 am

I take Adderall without a prescription for LSAT purposes.

I think it helps. It makes me sharp that early in the morning and focusing is that much easier. You should probably take a few tests without the drugs and a few tests with the drugs (5+ each way is ideal) and see how you average.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:16 am

Why dont you try it on a couple practice tests before you do it on the real thing.

My friend took A during finals last year. He did the best on the "race" style exams. The exams that had tons of issues and the time that you are given is not enough. He also did this on an exam that was limited in terms of words instead of time. He told me that he did much better on the "race" style exam. He was over thinking everything when he wasnt limited by time.

I think on the LSAT A will help you the most on the reading comprehension section.

gamblera

Postby gamblera » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:27 am

i have been wondering the same thing. I just started A, for prescription (+20mg IR). The first time I took it was for a spanish exam. I finished my 4 page test (mostly short answer response) twice in 10 minutes. It was bizarre. I am decent at spanish, but when i took it i felt god-like. very confident in my answers

I then took it for a calc II test. My anxiety was increased, as I felt that time was going too fast and I wouldnt be able to finish the test.
I felt like i was rushing myself the whole time.

I ended up getting an A on the Calc II test and a B on the spanish test. so i am unsure if ill continue using it on exams or the lsat.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:43 am

Adderall is helpful for reading comprehension practice. It allows you to really absorb everything. But when your mind is racing on amphetamines you will likely not be able to adequately consider the fine nuances of LG or LR. Adderall improves your ability to absorb and repeat information. Adderall hurts your ability to analytically interpret it. I speak from experience.

I tried Adderall (without a prescription) on a timed practice LSAT. I had -0 on RC, which is the first and only time so far it's happened. I got -9 on LG, whereas I'm usually between -0 and -2. But, Adderall would impact you differently if you actually needed it. A normal person who does not need it will hurt themselves by taking Adderall. If your goal is to get from 135 to 145, sure, I guess Adderall can't hurt, but if you're goal is to go from 165 to 170, don't take Adderall. 75% of the test is just analytical, it's too much to have your mind racing on amphetamines, and on test day, you'll have enough of an adrenaline boost that adding Adderall to it would just make you tweak. If you could get a 170 on unprescribed Adderall, you could probably get a 175 without it. But if you need the prescription, you need the prescription.

In general, I think people that take Adderall unprescribed are morons. I am allowed to say that because I have personal experience to speak from... I'll try anything once before I come to a conclusion on it. I just don't see how it could help anyone on an aptitude test except those who are so far on the bottom of their academic peer group they have nothing to lose. However.... if you are taking a memory test (for example, a history exam in college), then I could see how Adderall could be very helpful. If you have to read a book for school, I could see how it could keep you focused. But not on an aptitude test.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Last edited by rinkrat19 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:16 pm

FishOil

Postby FishOil » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:42 pm

I tried taking it for about 5 PTs. It dropped my score a few points so I stopped.

t13plz

Postby t13plz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:20 am

idk, but to all of yall who take adderall, don't you notice a nervousness? Are you not more nervous and absorbed? Like, I think the time pressure is not so good for add meds.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:32 am

If you're already on a prescription, then your "performance boost" will be actually being able to function asymptomatically.

If you're not prescribed it, then obtaining and taking such drugs is illegal and probably not something you want to discuss on an internet forum, where things like your username and IP address might help make you identifiable.

Food for thought.

mst

Postby mst » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:23 am

From a hypothetical standpoint, if somebody on here is wondering about the drug and it's effects on the LSAT, I can tell you that I've heard personal stories of it going both ways. One case the guy boosted 5 points. Another, it dropped a girl a couple points. It's not isolated in either direction. Honestly, (and this isn't directed at OP) if you're not prescribed to it and your going to ignore the law and general ethics, it really isn't worth it unless your use to testing in those conditions, and even then... Either way, definitely don't wait until test day to experiment...

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:21 am

vanwinkle wrote:If you're already on a prescription, then your "performance boost" will be actually being able to function asymptomatically.

If you're not prescribed it, then obtaining and taking such drugs is illegal and probably not something you want to discuss on an internet forum, where things like your username and IP address might help make you identifiable.

Food for thought.

I don't give a fuck.

Postby 12262010 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:23 am

vanwinkle wrote:If you're already on a prescription, then your "performance boost" will be actually being able to function asymptomatically.

Food for thought.

yes, winkie, the gubment cares about busting petty prescription drug abusing college students.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:26 am

robotclubmember wrote:

Food for thought.

I don't give a fuck.

lolwut?

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Search the net for anecdotal experiences and you will find that the people who are using it for performance enhancement and actually score better are the minority.
Most people relate to the response above re: high performance on RC, drop off on LR and LG.
If you're a <155 scorer, maybe I can see it being worth the gamble. Otherwise, why risk compromising the skills you've worked so hard to develop?

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:32 pm

Last edited by fosterp on Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:42 pm

robotclubmember wrote:

Food for thought.

I don't give a fuck.

You do know you have a character and fitness statement on all your LS apps right? I believe VW was hinting at the fact that, presuming you plan to lie about illegal activities on your apps and in the future (e.g. bar admissions C&F) you might want to preserve some anonymity.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:54 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:

Food for thought.

I don't give a fuck.

You do know you have a character and fitness statement on all your LS apps right? I believe VW was hinting at the fact that, presuming you plan to lie about illegal activities on your apps and in the future (e.g. bar admissions C&F) you might want to preserve some anonymity.

Worrying about anonymity on an anonymous internet forum....really?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:56 pm

fosterp wrote:Worrying about anonymity on an anonymous internet forum....really?

You live in Washington state and use Comcast. Comcast could probably tell the proper authorities a lot more than that. How anonymous are you really?

Edit: You're applying to schools as a WA resident, you attended community college while you were a teenager, you have several W's, your overall LSDAS is in the 3.0 range despite doing better in undergrad than CC, and you're aiming for UW. Odds UW could identify you from your application and what you've posted on this board? Fairly high.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:01 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
fosterp wrote:Worrying about anonymity on an anonymous internet forum....really?

You live in Washington state and use Comcast. Comcast could probably tell the proper authorities a lot more than that. How anonymous are you really?

+1000

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Do me, do me!

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:04 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

They could tell them the network being used and the person that owns the network. A network being used by hundreds of people.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:07 pm

fosterp wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

They could tell them the network being used and the person that owns the network. A network being used by hundreds of people.

Do you know how IP addresses and MAC addresses work? A person has to WORK to hide that stuff, odds the average TLSer is doing that? pretty low I'd wager.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:09 pm

seespotrun wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Do me, do me!

You live in PA and you use Comcast.

Also, you recently gave advice to 1Ls on outlining, told 1Ls to "suck it", and knocked on wood to avoid being no-offered, meaning you're a 2L. You used to post in the Villanova Class of 2012 thread, so I'm going to presume you're a 2L at Villanova who has a firm offer for next summer, and that's based off about 2 minutes' worth of reading your post history.

It's hard to talk on this forum about what matters to you and not greatly reduce your anonymity in the process.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
fosterp wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Do you know how IP addresses and MAC addresses work? A person has to WORK to hide that stuff, odds the average TLSer is doing that? pretty low I'd wager.

I know exactly how they work, and knowing the IP and mac address is a far cry from being able to identify an individual belonging to that.

As far as identifying anyone based on the writings of "some anonymous internet poster" who happens to have credentials to anyone in real life, I think you underestimate how many people actually live in this world and write garbage on the internet. You seem to think that being able to retype characteristics attributed to a username counts as some sort of real life identification.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”