LG Specific Problem

jets098

LG Specific Problem

Postby jets098 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:05 pm

I have a problem with questions that ask:

"What is the maximum number of spots that can be betwee X and Y?"

These questions seem to appear second or third in some LG sections and really throw me off. Is there a quick way to attack these questions?

Also, my other problem is with rule substitution. I got screwed up on this on October (which sucks because i knew it was coming) and need a quicker way to attack these questions. Anybody have any advice? Thanks.

lakers3peat

Re: LG Specific Problem

Postby lakers3peat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:34 pm

I don't have any special approach for rule substitution but for the maximum spaces between X and Y, I always start with the greatest space and work my way down. So if you have variables A B C D E F G

___ ___ ___ C ___ ___ ___
~A
~B

What are the maximum spaces between A & B?

A) 1
B) 2
C) 3
D) 4
E) 5

So here I would start with 5

A ___ ___ C ____ ____ B

I see that 5 spaces between doesnt work because neither A nor B can be in slot one so then I shrink the gap to 4 spaces and see that no rule is violated

___ A ____ C ____ _____ B

and I would go with 4 for my answer.

Don't know if this is helpful but its the best I got. Good luck.

jets098

Postby jets098 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Yeah, this is how I usually work it and I can usually get it right. However, it can take time to find depending on the amount of variables and so forth.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:37 pm

This is the type of question you should skip. Do the local questions first- the one's that introduce a scenario. For example: If A is in slot 3, which of the following would have to be true?

Those questions basically provide you with hypotheticals that you can then draw upon for the broader questions.

So, to build off the former example, say you're asked this question; you should then look at your hypotheticals. You might then see that:

A D E C F G B

appears, you then have your answer, or at the very least you can use those previous problems to wittle down your answer choices and thus do less work and save time.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:13 pm

hypotheticals always help yess

benito

Postby benito » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:46 pm

jets526 wrote:Yeah, this is how I usually work it and I can usually get it right. However, it can take time to find depending on the amount of variables and so forth.

This is the one kind of question that I just jump right into doing my own hypotheticals starting with the maximum and working down. You're right that it takes time but if you get right to it instead of dilly dallying and deciding how to go about it you'll find that usually you don't have to try more than 2 or 3 scenarios to get to the right answer. What kills you is time spent in hesitation. Just jump right into it.

jets098

Postby jets098 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Well, didn't get the answer I wanted haha but at least I got the same answer from everyone. Hypotheticals it is.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 am

What kind of answer did you want? For spaces between variable questions, the answer is ALWAYS E...! is that better? Lmao...

I agree with the above poster who says JUMP RIGHT INTO IT. It's true hesitation is what kills you and consumes the most of your time. You probably don't even realize it but all the time you spend thinking well what could the answer possibly be, Do I have a previous hypothetical? Should I diagram this? Should I start with or A or E? etc....That is time that you could have spent drawing a quick rule based sketch to see if it's possible. If it hasn't already been done in a previous hypothetical, the fastest way to do this is what you have been told. There is no secret strategy ha.

As for the rule change questions, the only tip I can offer you there is to maintain awareness of interchangeable variables.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”