Roughly 1 month till the December Test. . .

lakers3peat

Roughly 1 month till the December Test. . .

Postby lakers3peat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:31 am

First of all, I would like to say good luck to all of you whom the December 11th Lsat is coming up for. In addition to advice you may offer me, I would like to know what you are all doing in these last 30 days of studying and whether or not you plan to apply for this cycle or the next?

My question/situation: I have already taken a prep class and seen a few questions from basically every practice test so when doing a whole PT or individual sections, there are always a few questions that I A) remember reading but don't remember the answer for... Or B) Questions I remember the answer for after reading only a few sentences of the stimulus. I try not to let(b) get in my way while practicing but it puts me in a weird position. I only have two practice tests left that I have NEVER seen a question from--June 2010 and October 2010. Would you recommend taking one or the other sooner than later? I was thinking I would do June in a week and October a week or so before the test(december 1st or so). Other than those two, I still have the next 10 book that I could work through but I have already seen a bunch of those questions so I am ambivalent to just keep doing practice tests. I am now focusing more on reviewing over questions I found hard and questions I got wrong.

My advice: For me personally, I am doing some of the later prep tests. I have read here that practicing LR by "writing out" the correct answer and the reason it is the correct answer is a good strategy. While I have yet to test the results of this on a new practice test, I have found it ENORMOUSLY helpful in terms of intellectually stimulating myself. Usually I would see what the correct answer is and kind of 'shrug it off'. I would convince myself I knew it. However, writing out an explanation, in my opinion, makes you TRULY prove that you understand what's going on. I would assume that explaining an answer to a fellow study buddy might tackle the same domain but I am doing the whole solo study thing so this is the approach I have taken for now.

My predicament: Since I don't plan to apply until next cycle anyways, now I am thinking of pushing back my test date AGAIN to February! :lol: I really don't think I want to do this. I have had this monkey hanging over my shoulder since the beginning of summer. What I'm thinking I'll do now is prep as hard as I can for dec 11th then after that, if I am stil not satisfied with my score there's always February or June test. But yeah, there's an endless amount of things you can do before the test and seeing as I am PTing anywhere from 155ish-165ish, I know there's still more I can be doing but I am experiencing burn out.

Again, good luck to all of you and thank you in advance for any responses you may have.

Nonok

Re: Roughly 1 month till the December Test. . .

Postby Nonok » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:12 am

If you're not applying until next cycle, switch your date to June. Read a lot for the next few months, any topic. Everyone here recommends The Economist. Start studying again 3 months before the test and try to get above 170. You have so much time. It would be a shame to rush into the Dec test.

Myself, I'm not sure if I'm wanting to apply for this cycle or next. I plan on doing a ED to UVa in the next couple weeks once LSAC has the last LOR and requesting they wait until my December score to process the app. If accepted, I'll just request to enter for next cycle if that's what I decide. That won't be a problem.

I scored a 167 (well below my PT average) on the Oct LSAT but need a 173 or above to have a decent shot with my crappy GPA (3.03). As for prep, I'm taking 3 new 5-section PTs a week and doing section work on all other days. I also plan on reading more in general, hopefully while at work, to help me with the RC section.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:36 pm

I feel ya on that one but I don't know how much longer I can let this monkey hang over my shoulder. I think there is an infinte amount of studying one can do so if I decided on June I might end ups aying welll I can push my luck and try october......... ha..

on a diff note, I just bought my analog wrist watch. hopefully this bish does me good.

Zinoviev

Postby Zinoviev » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:41 pm

Don't PT every single day. Take at least one or two days a week off. Test in the morning to simulate the same conditions as test day.

Coming into Dec I've been taking PTs after doing random sections and working through the PS Bibles over the past 3 months. At this point you should be timing everything. Review your missed work and rework it without timing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”