Best Self-Prep Books to Buy?

GotKazan

Best Self-Prep Books to Buy?

Postby GotKazan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:51 pm

I'd really like to get a head start on my LSAT prep. I plan on starting a prep course in July 2011 and then taking it in October, however I'd like to go in with some experience and study hours under my belt. What are the best books to buy that can help me prepare?

jdstl

Re: Best Self-Prep Books to Buy?

Postby jdstl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:00 pm

I liked my progression book-wise (and studied over roughly the same amount of time you plan to).

1. By Princeton Review LSAT Book (I thought this was a good overview and it comes with 2 PT's plus an online practice. )

I would take the online practice to familiarize yourself with the test (don't worry about the score). Then go through the Princeton Review book to learn some basic strategies and take their two (unofficial) practice tests. Then you should have some idea about what are your strong/weak sections. (For me, I was fine on LR/RC and extremely rough on LG).

2. Buy the newest 25 tests available from lsac.org and buy the Powerscore Bibles (by far the best books, IMO) for any of the sections you are having trouble with (they do a book for each section). Powerscore helps really refine your strategy, practice helps refine your timing..

3. Drill Drill Drill.

4. Profit (read: use your score to get into a school that will put you deeply into debt)

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:03 pm

I applaud your ambition, but it's probably a bad idea to start prepping this early. You will run out of material and be totally burnt out by late spring.

I assume you're planning to apply next cycle, so start your LSAT prep in Jan/Feb and take the exam in June. That way you can submit apps the first day they become available and leave next Oct open for a retake.

And if you're willing to spend 4-6 months prepping for the LSAT, then forget about taking a course. Check out this site http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/ for great book recommendations and study plans.

Good luck!

GotKazan

Postby GotKazan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:07 pm

I will be graduating from undergrad in Spring of 2012. I don't plan on taking any time off in between; I would like to (hopefully) move on immediately to law school in Fall 2012. In that case, would June 2011 still be a good time to take the LSAT?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:19 pm

maybe taking the powerscore books nice and slow now so that you have a long time to get their methods ingrained. I mean the Logic Games BIble and the Logical Reasoning bible combined are like 28 chapters and like 800 pages. So if you do 1 chapter a week that should take you to like May? I think that will be taking it slow enough so that you don't burn out and you really have time to practice and learn all the techniques. At that point you should get the LSAT SuperPrep book and go through the 3 tests and their explanations thoroughly. After that take a newer preptest so that you know what to expect on actual test day. This probably puts you at June-ish and you can decide whether or not you really need a course after all your self-prep etc.. If you do then you should probably go with Atlas or one of the other ones that tries to cater to advanced students.

I don't know for sure that this is the best course of action, but if I could do it over again its definitely what I would have done.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:02 pm

FlanAl wrote:So if you do 1 chapter a week that should take you to like May? I think that will be taking it slow enough so that you don't burn out and you really have time to practice and learn all the techniques.

I respectfully disagree with this. Completing a chapter in the PS Bible without intensive drilling is a waste of time. You won't have any chance to practice what you learned. It would be like reading a book on golf technique, but never stepping foot on a course afterward.

LSAT prep isn't a warm bath that you ease yourself into. Its something you have to intensively immerse yourself in for 3-6 months.

GotKazan wrote:I will be graduating from undergrad in Spring of 2012. I don't plan on taking any time off in between; I would like to (hopefully) move on immediately to law school in Fall 2012. In that case, would June 2011 still be a good time to take the LSAT?

Your score is good for 5 years OP. But the summer between your Sophomore - Junior year is pretty early. Perhaps too early.

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:07 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Your score is good for 5 years OP. But the summer between your Sophomore - Junior year is pretty early. Perhaps too early.

I've always wondered - do schools really look at the timeframe in which the LSAT was taken, especially in the instance of someone taking it in that timeframe?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:13 pm

i figured a chapter a week would include intensive drilling like the corresponding chapter from Cambridge LSAT (collections of most of the lsat questions). That gives you a couple days to go through the methods and a couple days to drill them if you put in like an hour a day. But the gentleman might know more than me I just think that having a week to learn and drill each type of LR and LG would be good to let each type really get drilled into your head.

djjf39

Postby djjf39 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Google "torrents"......don't buy books

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”