Conclusion and Premise Indicators : LR Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jets098

New

Conclusion and Premise Indicators : LR

Post by jets098 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:25 pm

I generally PT at around -8 to -10 total for logical reasoning. I have tried looking over last tests but I can't seem to find a pattern to decipher which one's i'm missing most. One thing that I neglected to do for October was memorize the premise and conclusion indicators in the LR Bible. I have a lot of trouble memorizing lists but I feel like this could be something that will help me take the next step.

Has anybody had experience with memorizing these words helping improve their LR score? What techniques did you use to memorize these lists? Thanks.

prunella83

New

Re: Conclusion and Premise Indicators : LR

Post by prunella83 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:33 pm

as a fellow -8, -10 person myself, I have to say that studying word lists only helped me marginally. What really helps is practicing more questions and reading the explanations for why an answer is correct and why the other choices are incorrect. Sometimes premises/conclusions do not come with an indicator word at all! It is best to find a book with many questions and explanations to practice. I recommend kaplan test prep. It helped me out of my -10 rut. :D

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm sure others can post a list of indicators for conclusions (e.g., thus, therefore, hence, so). However, conclusion indicators can be misleading. I find it MUCH more helpful to identify the premise indicators. These are: because, since, after all, and for example. Not only do those words introduce a premise, but the structure of the sentence will also point you right to the conclusion (right before or after the premise.

Examples:

A since B. B is the premise, and A is the conclusion.

Because of C, D is true. C is the premise, and D is the conclusion.

E. For example, F. E is the conclusion, and F is a premise.

I'm a pimp. After all, I clock bitches and slap hoes.

sharpnsmooth

Bronze

Post by sharpnsmooth » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:41 pm

JazzOne wrote:I'm sure others can post a list of indicators for conclusions (e.g., thus, therefore, hence, so). However, conclusion indicators can be misleading. I find it MUCH more helpful to identify the premise indicators. These are: because, since, after all, and for example. Not only do those words introduce a premise, but the structure of the sentence will also point you right to the conclusion (right before or after the premise.

Examples:

A since B. B is the premise, and A is the conclusion.

Because of C, D is true. C is the premise, and D is the conclusion.

E. For example, F. E is the conclusion, and F is a premise.

I'm a pimp. After all, I clock bitches and slap hoes.
i'm a pimp is your conclusion. your necessary assumption is that anyone who clocks bitches and slaps hoes is a pimp. a weakener would be a man who beats his wife, who is a practicing prostitue, but does not actually have her bang men for $.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”