Cambridge LR- to do or not to do?

MdmMoisel

Cambridge LR- to do or not to do?

Postby MdmMoisel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:06 am

Hey guys,
Two weeks ago I bought the Cambridge Difficult LR set. I consistently get 5 out of 10 wrong doing its questions untimed. My LR average with actual practice tests timed is -6, -8 usually, which means I'm not clear with some LR concepts (esp. Assumption qs and parallel reasoning). You think doing Cambridge set is helpful at this point (Dec taker)? Thanks!

gerbal

Re: Cambridge LR- to do or not to do?

Postby gerbal » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:21 am

I feel like assumption questions are the easiest. All you have to do is "connect" 2 bits of information (premise and conclusion?) and this works nearly every single time. I never bought the cambridge difficult LR set but if you're unsure on specific concepts maybe you should focus on those first? -6 isn't bad (-3 per LR section?). If you're missing the difficult questions I guess the difficult LR set could help but I think PTs and reviewing those thoroughly helps more than anything.

MdmMoisel

Postby MdmMoisel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks gerbal! No, I'm missing -6 per LR section!! When doing individual timed sections I usually get -2 or -3, but with a complete PT, it's another story. Assmpt and Parallel Reas. are by far the most intimidating Q types for me. Thanks for your advice..I don't think I've time for Cambridge set anymore :(

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:31 pm

I did the difficult LR questions. They were pretty helpful, but I made sure not to touch them as test week approached, because they can really kill your confidence.

MdmMoisel

Postby MdmMoisel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:06 am

Yeah you're right.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:35 am

gerbal wrote:I feel like assumption questions are the easiest. All you have to do is "connect" 2 bits of information (premise and conclusion?) and this works nearly every single time. I never bought the cambridge difficult LR set but if you're unsure on specific concepts maybe you should focus on those first? -6 isn't bad (-3 per LR section?). If you're missing the difficult questions I guess the difficult LR set could help but I think PTs and reviewing those thoroughly helps more than anything.

Especially assumptions with causal conclusions. Find whatever denies a possible alternate cause or establishes the cause-effect relationship.

For assumptions find the "rogue" elements (gaps) and just link them. For flaw, point out the rogue elements. They used to give me a ton of toruble but not so much anymore.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”