LG question

swtlilsoni

LG question

Postby swtlilsoni » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:52 pm

On logic games I make a diagram for existing conditions, but then the questions make assumptions. "if x, then what must be true". Then I would have to fill in the diagram according to x, and see what must be true. But then for the next question I would need another diagram (because x was exclusive to that first question). So I end up drawing multiple diagrams and it wastes time.
I was thinking about drawing the original diagram in pen, and filling individual questions in with pencil so I can erase and reuse the same diagram.
What do you guys do?

gdane

Re: LG question

Postby gdane » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Nope. You need to keep everything that youve done. You can often go back to your work to answer questions. Dont erase anything. Leave all your work intact.

Just plot out the possibilities. It might take a while, but its worth it when you breeze through 3 questions because you already had the work done.

Good luck!

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:02 pm

gdane5 wrote:Nope. You need to keep everything that youve done. You can often go back to your work to answer questions. Dont erase anything. Leave all your work intact.

Just plot out the possibilities. It might take a while, but its worth it when you breeze through 3 questions because you already had the work done.

Good luck!

But you cant breeze through three questions with that one diagram, because the diagram is assuming x, which is only assumed in that one question.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Nope. You need to keep everything that youve done. You can often go back to your work to answer questions. Dont erase anything. Leave all your work intact.

Good luck!

But you cant breeze through three questions with that one diagram, because the diagram is assuming x, which is only assumed in that one question.

Are you learning logic games by yourself, or are you using a book? Because all of this is explained in the various methods.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 pm

In some cases you can. Lets say that you come across a question that asks "If X is here, what cannot be here" and you find that in one of your diagrams X is where the question says it has to be. You can eliminate wrong answers by referring to past diagrams.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm

When I lay out the diagram with the original conditions, I go ahead and draw 5-6 identical rows of the original conditions as a big table. If you do it all at once, it's really not any slower than drawing one diagram. Sometimes I'll use them all to manually test A-B-C-D-E on a question I'm really stuck on, sometimes I'll use one row to add a conditional statement and see where it gets me, etc. The key is to be able to work fast, neatly enough to read (mine are really not all that neat, but they work for me) and remember what you're doing, so you're not staring at your diagram trying to find something. If you erase, you run the risk of losing a diagram you could've used to answer a later question.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:45 pm

This is why columns are better than rows of slots.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”