LG Checklist

LG Checklist

Postby RefleX » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:08 pm

I've been having a hard time with LG recently, and made minimal improvements while reading the LGB. I keep thinking I'm forgetting to do/look for things while setting the game up that eventually screws me throughout the questions. Does anyone have a "mental checklist" of things they do while reading the prompt and diagramming the game, in a certain order?

Such as...

1. Reading prompt
2. Basic Diagram
3. Writing key variables
inferences, not laws, etc.

I feel like I may be doing it out of order. These things are killing me. They were fun with linear, but advanced pisses me off.

Re: LG Checklist

Postby Ginj » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:14 pm

I diagram as I work though the prompt. So, if it lists the variables first, I list the variables first, etc. I don't really think order matters. What I think does matter is making sure you've squeezed out every possible inference you can before getting to the questions. Sometimes doing so can answer all of the questions for you ahead of time, but, at the very least, they can save you both time and energy. Of course, learning how to do this correctly is essential (*ahem LGB ahem*).

My favorites are the LG's that allow you to set up 3 or 4 completed, possible scenarios. Mmm.

Postby gdane » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Read the prompt

quickly list the variables at the top of the blank space at the bottom of the page

make blanks for however many spaces I need under the variables

answer the first two questions through process of elimination

next answer the questions in which a variable is already assigned to a spot (If J is in spot 3, what can be in spot 4, etc).

plot out the possibilites after having answered the aforementioned questions

Compare the answer choices to my possibilities

Answer questions correct

celebrate an awesome LG section

Good luck!!

Postby RefleX » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 pm

I went back and redid the questions I couldn't complete and whatnot, and I feel much more comfortable now. I wasn't timing myself but my accuracy was much higher, as well as my confidence. The biggest thing is certainly getting the setup down. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”