How not to get freaked out on LG section-Please help!

sunshine11

How not to get freaked out on LG section-Please help!

Postby sunshine11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Hello,
I took both June and Oct LSAT tests. I screwed both of the tests by freaking out on LG section. I don't usually get wrong on LG section but I got -9 on Oct test and I cancled my June test score due to LG section. Now, I have registered for Dec test but very worried that I would get freaked out again on LG section again. What can I do???

albusdumbledore

Re: How not to get freaked out on LG section-Please help!

Postby albusdumbledore » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 pm

sunshine11 wrote:Hello,
I took both June and Oct LSAT tests. I screwed both of the tests by freaking out on LG section. I don't usually get wrong on LG section but I got -9 on Oct test and I cancled my June test score due to LG section. Now, I have registered for Dec test but very worried that I would get freaked out again on LG section again. What can I do???

You could probably start by not freaking out a month in advance of the test.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:36 pm

What did you do to prepare for the LSAT? Logic Games Bible? Doing/redoing timed sections of LG? We can't offer much help until we have some idea of what your study plan looked like.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:51 pm

What strategies do you use for the section during the actual test? You have to have a plan then stick with it. It's better to get 3 games done correctly then to jump all over b/c you panic.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:28 am

listen, I am an LG panicker (I don't know if I spelled that right), but still consistently get 0/-1 on LG (-1 on test day, which I'm pissed about). The key is to go through LGB and get comfortable with games and how to diagram, next when you're actually taking the test if you start to panic, move on to the next game (you most likely panicked at the hardest game in the section). I also do this almost everytime and knock out the next 3 games in about 20 minutes and have 12-15 minutes for the last game, which takes the pressure off and makes it alot more manageable. Believe me I panic pretty much everytime I do an LG section, but just skip the game and come back, believe me if you go through the LGB you will be able to knock out the next 3 (most likely easier games) in under 20 minutes.

sunshine11

Postby sunshine11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:54 am

The Gentleman wrote:What did you do to prepare for the LSAT? Logic Games Bible? Doing/redoing timed sections of LG? We can't offer much help until we have some idea of what your study plan looked like.

I went through Logic Games Bible and all of PTs. I hardly miss any questions on LG section during PTs. Game section for me is by far the best section. If I screw up on LG section, I screw up the whole test. :cry:
Last edited by sunshine11 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tranquil

Postby tranquil » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:58 am

This is the best quote on fear:

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
--- Frank Herbert, "Dune" - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

The key is understanding that you will be nervous and, perhaps, fearful when you face an all-new logic game section. Accept it. The solution is to take a deep breath and to refuse to let it paralyze you. Slow down and power through each diagram, each inference, each hypothetical, each game.

There is a saying where I used to work: "Slow is smooth; smooth is fast." That is how to deal with logic games.

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:15 pm

I had the same problem as you. I would always do great on the LG section on PTs (-0 to -2) but when i would take a diagnostic with my TM class i would panic on the LG section.

On test day while everybody was standing around in line nervous, I closed my eyes and visualized how i did all my LG sections during practice and how i would do this one. I went through it in my head step by step. Read, diagram etc.
By the time i actually started the LSAT i had probably done it 4 or 5 times that morning. It really helped me relaxed and eased my mind. I ended up with -2 on LG. (should have been -0!!!)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”