Mints

eberryhill7

Mints

Postby eberryhill7 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:21 pm

So I was discussing my plan for LSAT studying with someone yesterday and they mentioned something interesting. They recommended that I get some sort of mint or candy that I eat every time I study or take a test and only eat during those times. They said that it helped them get in the LSAT mode and removed distractions. They connected the taste to the need to focus so whenever they tasted it it helped them focus. Has anyone else heard about something like this or used it? I would be very interested in personal experience. Thanks.

4for44

Re: Mints

Postby 4for44 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:27 pm

eberryhill7 wrote:So I was discussing my plan for LSAT studying with someone yesterday and they mentioned something interesting. They recommended that I get some sort of mint or candy that I eat every time I study or take a test and only eat during those times. They said that it helped them get in the LSAT mode and removed distractions. They connected the taste to the need to focus so whenever they tasted it it helped them focus. Has anyone else heard about something like this or used it? I would be very interested in personal experience. Thanks.

I love mints, great way to occupy mouth while brain is working (insert thats what she said). Only problem is you cant chew gum/mints on test day... thus not practicing under realistic conditions.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:29 pm

ATTN OP: DO NOT DO THIS!

You are not allowed to eat/drink anything during the testing portion of the LSAT. The only time you may access your food/beverage (and mints) is during the break.

Imagine what would happen if you took 25 PTs while eating mints, but found out on test day that you couldn't have any. That's a recipe for failure.

No offense, but whoever told you to do this has no idea what they are talking about.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:36 pm

4for44 wrote:
eberryhill7 wrote:So I was discussing my plan for LSAT studying with someone yesterday and they mentioned something interesting. They recommended that I get some sort of mint or candy that I eat every time I study or take a test and only eat during those times. They said that it helped them get in the LSAT mode and removed distractions. They connected the taste to the need to focus so whenever they tasted it it helped them focus. Has anyone else heard about something like this or used it? I would be very interested in personal experience. Thanks.

I love mints, great way to occupy mouth while brain is working (insert thats what she said). Only problem is you cant chew gum/mints on test day... thus not practicing under realistic conditions.

While this is true, the LSAC told a poster on here the day before the October test that he/she could pop in numerous cough drops right before the test, but just could not access them during the test. Under this logic, one could draw the conclusion that popping mints into one's mouth shortly before the test starts would also be acceptable.

That said, I still wouldn't recommend. Who knows what kind of proctor you will get on test day.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:40 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:While this is true, the LSAC told a poster on here the day before the October test that he/she could pop in numerous cough drops right before the test, but just could not access them during the test. Under this logic, one could draw the conclusion that popping mints into one's mouth shortly before the test starts would also be acceptable.

That said, I still wouldn't recommend. Who knows what kind of proctor you will get on test day.

LOL, I immediately pictured someone cramming 20+ mints into their mouth right before the first section begins.

Also, if someone sitting next to me was loudly sucking on a mint, I would bitch about it to the proctor.

Moral of this story is don't do anything on your PTs that you can't do on test day.

eberryhill7

Postby eberryhill7 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 pm

Cool. Thanks everyone. I was under the impression that I could use them during the real test but seeing that it's not the case I will not do this and will reprimand the person who gave me the advice.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:05 pm

eberryhill7 wrote:Cool. Thanks everyone. I was under the impression that I could use them during the real test but seeing that it's not the case I will not do this and will reprimand the person who gave me the advice.

I recommend giving them a hearty spanking.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:12 pm

paratactical wrote:I recommend giving them a hearty spanking.

And make sure you video tape it! Then you can send law schools a video personal statement in lieu of the traditional written one! Win!

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:12 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
paratactical wrote:I recommend giving them a hearty spanking.

And make sure you video tape it! Then you can send law schools a video personal statement in lieu of the traditional written one it to para! Win!

fix't

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:14 pm

paratactical wrote:The Gentleman wrote:
paratactical wrote:
I recommend giving them a hearty spanking.

And make sure you video tape it! Then you can send law schools a video personal statement in lieu of the traditional written one it to para! Win!

fix't

lol

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:50 am

I want to know if anyone has been written up for having a cough drop/mint in their mouth.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:While this is true, the LSAC told a poster on here the day before the October test that he/she could pop in numerous cough drops right before the test, but just could not access them during the test. Under this logic, one could draw the conclusion that popping mints into one's mouth shortly before the test starts would also be acceptable.

LOL, I immediately pictured someone cramming 20+ mints into their mouth right before the first section begins.

LOL I could picture Mr.Bean doing that. Would go well with this bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98V9cEYe6-A

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:46 pm

I think the rule is that you can chew something that is already in your mouth, but you can't put something into your mouth during the test. (Though now that I say it, it sounds sort of stupid, and I may be wrong. But it's consistent with the above posters' comments.) So if you've got something that will last almost 2 hours (from start until break), such as gum, you're cool. But unless you've got a 2-hour mint handy, mints are a no.

However, it has been shown in various studies that chewing does increase test scores (albeit only very slightly). The action of the jaw muscles seems to keep blood flowing to the brain better, which in turn reduces effects from fatigue, etc. This is part of the reason, too, that you really should stand and walk around during the break regardless of how you feel, because it will improve your second-half performance.

So if you're cool with chewing on the same piece of gum for 2 hours, go for it. Otherwise, avoid.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”