Baffled

guinness

Baffled

Postby guinness » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:35 pm

My PT scores are the following (in this order) - 161, 159, 162, 159, 158

I have no idea how I can be regressing!

My scores in LR / RC are staying about the same (LR is on to downslide minimally) and I am getting destroyed on the LG. My last two tests were -11 and -10 respectively!

I'm half way through the LG Bible and intend on finishing it this week and doing 10 games a night, but I can't explain how things are getting worse. I literally have been studying 2-3 hours of dedicated studying 6 days a week, reviewing practice tests, etc...

I'm scheduled to take in December and have been studying for 2.5 months. Any advice?

gmenfan

Re: Baffled

Postby gmenfan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:39 pm

I would say those scores are all in the same area, not really a downward trend. I would stop taking the full PTs until you're done with the LG book. If you're confident in your LR/RC abilities, doing LG + either one (1 or 2 sections then reviewing mistakes) per day would probably more productive.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:47 pm

i agree with the poster above. there is no downward trend, just a difference in score spectrum.

you are still learning concepts in LGB. that would explain why you are struggling with LG right now. Stop taking full length tests and drill games for a bit. TO keep yourself fresh, do timed sections of LR and RC. Perhaps you need some time off from LG. Do LR or RC tomorrow, and dont stress yourself out trying to finish the LGB this week.

Do each game 3+ times. write out why the inferences are, and how the rules dictate the game. It will help foster your understanding of the game

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:52 pm

150 154 150 153 159 160 160 171
163 on the real thing (within 5 weeks of studying)

I had some random PT scores honestly, but what got me on an upward trend towards the end was working on individual timed sections. Don't worry about your scores so much if they're that close, could just be a difference in the curves; focus on what questions you're getting wrong and work on those!
The only score that matters is on test day :lol: good luck!

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:00 pm

guinness wrote:161, 159, 162, 159, 158

A range of 4 points over 5 PTs does not constitute a downward trend.

guinness wrote:I'm half way through the LG Bible

guinness wrote: and have been studying for 2.5 months

Finish the LGB immediately. A -10/-11 on LG means that you are missing some key concepts and need to spend a lot more time on this section.

Try doing some LG sections untimed over the next few days. Get a grasp on the basics first, and then work on timing.

guinness

Postby guinness » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks guys! It's just tough to see your score *drop* after weeks of study, but I agree that I need to focus on the games. I can go anywhere from -1 / -2 on my LR sections to -8, really no correlation that I can find. RC is in the same range of 4 to 6 and I'm not too worried about it. I've never really 'studied' that section, I just read the Economist / WSJ every day and drill it during PTs.

How does this schedule sound to round out my next 4 weeks of study? Some timed sessions of LR once a week, finish logic bible, start / finish logic games workbook, one PT per week, drill 8 LG every night to complete all Logic Games that currently exist?

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 pm

guinness wrote:How does this schedule sound to round out my next 4 weeks of study? Some timed sessions of LR once a week, finish logic bible, start / finish logic games workbook, one PT per week, drill 8 LG every night to complete all Logic Games that currently exist?

Although you need to focus more on LG, cutting back to 1 PT a week seems like a bad idea. Especially with the test only 4 weeks away. Try doing a total of 4 or 5 PTs over the next 2 weeks and a bunch of LG in the off days. Then, bump it up to 3 PTs a week until test day.

Good Luck OP

guinness

Postby guinness » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:30 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
guinness wrote:How does this schedule sound to round out my next 4 weeks of study? Some timed sessions of LR once a week, finish logic bible, start / finish logic games workbook, one PT per week, drill 8 LG every night to complete all Logic Games that currently exist?

Although you need to focus more on LG, cutting back to 1 PT a week seems like a bad idea. Especially with the test only 4 weeks away. Try doing a total of 4 or 5 PTs over the next 2 weeks and a bunch of LG in the off days. Then, bump it up to 3 PTs a week until test day.

Good Luck OP

Thanks. I've set a new course to my goal score (168). If I can slowly improve / maintain my other sections and improve on LG dramatically I should be able to hit it. I've scheduled finishing both the LG Bible / Workbook and every game released. I'll let you know how this all ends up!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:01 pm

get LG down, fast. I used to miss a TON on older LGs and my scores started to improve when moving to more recents... toward -2/-3/-4 which I thought was manageable for me. I missed 8, scattered throughout all 4 games, in october.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”