170 in Oct. Retake in Dec? Laying out the facts, help me :(

Choice Set:

Retake in Dec. and apply with "late" apps in January?
6
33%
Retake in Dec. and wait until next cycle to apply?
8
44%
Do not retake and apply with "late" apps in January?
3
17%
Do not retake and wait until next cycle to apply?
1
6%
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
FishOil
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:06 pm

170 in Oct. Retake in Dec? Laying out the facts, help me :(

Postby FishOil » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks in advance to everyone that helps me with decision. Thought I misbubbled in Oct. turns out I didn't but still think the mindset contributed to my -5 LG that is uncharacteristic. Ended up with a 170.

I know this is a great score but I believe I left some points on the table. Considering all my practice up to this point I am almost certain I would raise my at least two points to 172, Probable 173-174, outside shot at something higher. (5% chance screw up/ have to cancel :shock: lol)

Other considerations: 3.6 gpa
1. I have not approached my LORs. I could probably approach teachers this week and obtain average letters.
2. I would like to attend a school with some scholarship money (read 1/4 to 1/2 (think full comes with too far of a rankings drop), would love some money at a t10 like michigan).
3. Fully committed to finishing out this year with A's which could raise me to 3.65-3.69 ish.
4. Think a year off would could be beneficial (but weighing this against the opportunity cost of year spent not practicing law).
5. My apps will not be ready until early January of this year even without the retake.
6. Do not want to spend the money to apply this year and also next year.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: 170 in Oct. Retake in Dec? Laying out the facts, help me :(

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:50 pm

First of all, if you're confident you can up your LSAT by 2 or 3 points, then a retake is definitely warranted. (But keep in mind that 2-3 points can amount to pure luck, and you may get unlucky again. So don't assume you will improve)

With that said, your chances at $$$$ from T-14s are not going to be very good with a January app. But you should still send out some apps this cycle. The worst case scenario is that you get unsatisfactory results and reapply next year. Best case scenario is that you get a nice offer or a deferral with $$$$. In the meantime, think about what you will do to occupy your time during a year away from school. Things like AmeriCorps or full time work experience are almost always a positive thing.

FishOil wrote:6. Do not want to spend the money to apply this year and also next year.


You didn't get any decent fee waivers with a 170? That's kind of surprising. You should email schools you're interested in.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: 170 in Oct. Retake in Dec? Laying out the facts, help me :(

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 pm

If you can get your GPA to within screaming distance of a 3.7, and you're targeting the lower T14: have you lost your mind? (hint: don't)

User avatar
FishOil
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 170 in Oct. Retake in Dec? Laying out the facts, help me :(

Postby FishOil » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:34 am

Thanks Mr. Monopoly :P Yeah I forgot about waivers. I got UCLA and UVA so I'll see what does on there at least, lol. And the Americorps thing looks cool.

Thanks for the reply Motion. My numbers seem to be target range for UMich and UVA. I'll definitely aim higher if I get a better score in December. Are you saying I should aim higher now or then?

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: 170 in Oct. Retake in Dec? Laying out the facts, help me :(

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:21 am

FishOil wrote:Thanks for the reply Motion. My numbers seem to be target range for UMich and UVA. I'll definitely aim higher if I get a better score in December. Are you saying I should aim higher now or then?


Your numbers are an autoadmit for UVa ED and you'll most likely get into Mich too. Cornell/GTown seem to be a lock at those numbers and your chances at Northwestern also look good with WE. Same thing with Penn but it doesn't require WE. I don't see the point unless you can get a 175 or higher and aim for CCN. I'm not sure if it's worth a month of studying your ass off and another $136 just for a minimally better chance. Just my $0.02




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cannonballer, dontsaywhatyoumean, Evelyn2016, ngogirl12, Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests