Do you read every answer choice?

User avatar
luckyme
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Do you read every answer choice?

Postby luckyme » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Even if you are initially certain that the first choice is correct? How do you usually do?

e.g. Yes/161

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:08 pm

luckyme wrote:Even if you are initially certain that the first choice is correct? How do you usually do?

e.g. Yes/161


Always. Dont ever skip. I scored a 170 in October for what it's worth.

User avatar
luckyme
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby luckyme » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:12 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:
luckyme wrote:Even if you are initially certain that the first choice is correct? How do you usually do?

e.g. Yes/161


Always. Dont ever skip. I scored a 170 in October for what it's worth.


I do too, but I very rarely change any answers...I wonder if I would be more comfortable finishing faster and checking my work

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Read every answer choice, except for LG. LR and RC love to have multiple trap answers for testers who dont.

LG is the only section you can be absolutely 100% sure that the answer is right, due to rules and inferences.
even then you still have to check to make sure you didnt break a rule

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:33 pm

luckyme wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:
luckyme wrote:Even if you are initially certain that the first choice is correct? How do you usually do?

e.g. Yes/161


Always. Dont ever skip. I scored a 170 in October for what it's worth.


I do too, but I very rarely change any answers...I wonder if I would be more comfortable finishing faster and checking my work


All I can say is that you are a better man then I. I fall for trap answers on a regular basis if I don't read all the answers.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Yes, 174

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby plenipotentiary » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Yes. In fact, during the test, I read every answer choice at least twice (I was really nervous). I got a 172.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby tomwatts » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:29 pm

On games I usually don't (if I'm certain I've got the right answer), but on the others I always do. 176/180 (first time/second time).

bruin10
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby bruin10 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:38 pm

There's really no such thing as a trap answer if you're able to anticipate or know what the credited response should look like. If you get to that level of understanding, you'll know when you've reached the correct answer and can move forward (so no, you don't have to read all the answer choices).

User avatar
grrrstick
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby grrrstick » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Yes for LR and RC; No on games, 180

If you want to really boost that score: by the time you get to the answers on games, you should know the answer from applying the question to the given facts.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby yzero1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:00 pm

I would recommend always reading all of the answers. This doubly applies if you can finish a section with time left over. Although your first impression will be fairly accurate once you get the hang of the LSAT, there are still times when your instinct will be incorrect. LSAT: 177

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby incompetentia » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:01 am

Read every AC. Just do it.

The only time I'd recommend not reading every AC is if you really can't finish LR in time, but you're highly accurate. (So, read every AC.)

User avatar
Deep Trench
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby Deep Trench » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:06 am

On about 3~4 questions in each section, I select answers without reading every answer choice. This gives me a speed boost so I am not under time pressure at the end of the section. This could be my way of compensating for my slow reading speed, and you probably don't have to do this if you read fast. I do this with the questions where I feel very confident, and I don't remember the last time I missed a question doing this. I mark the questions so I can come back and read all of the answer choices if I have time left over after completing the section. I got 179 on the real test.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:59 pm

JazzOne wrote:Yes, 174

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby swc65 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:02 pm

I did not read all the MC answers unless I screwed up somehow. You should know the answer before you look at the choices and then just look for the letter that corresponds to the answer you figured out on your own. Especially on games. Otherwise, you may end just comparing answers. 178- with 5-10 minutes left in each section, it takes forever to read all those answer, especially in RC.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby cubswin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:10 pm

No on games. Yes on RC/LR.

User avatar
luckyme
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby luckyme » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:41 pm

Deep Trench wrote:On about 3~4 questions in each section, I select answers without reading every answer choice. This gives me a speed boost so I am not under time pressure at the end of the section. This could be my way of compensating for my slow reading speed, and you probably don't have to do this if you read fast. I do this with the questions where I feel very confident, and I don't remember the last time I missed a question doing this. I mark the questions so I can come back and read all of the answer choices if I have time left over after completing the section. I got 179 on the real test.


:!:
This is a strategy I have considered...sometimes I spend 45 seconds to 1 minute on a question that should take 15 seconds, and I regret not having that time later in the section.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby Ragged » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:45 pm

Almost always/174

skip james
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:53 am

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby skip james » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:48 pm

i prephrase and select one answer without reading all the choices for the first 10 in the logical reasoning section, provided my prephrase matches almost exactly. 177.

For the most part, however, I do read all the answer choices.

User avatar
4for44
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby 4for44 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:01 am

JazzOne wrote:Yes, 174


Seconded Yes, 174

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby Jeffort » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:04 am

This topic is Image silly.

There is no rational reason not to read all the answer choices before selecting one on questions you have time to attempt. Doing otherwise is Image stupid.

This type of habit may in part account for the more generous curves on the recent tests as compared to the strict curves of most of the 2005-2007 tests.

If you have time for a question, not reading all the answer choices before making a decision is dumb.

I get what was said about the LG section in terms of once you figure out what is correct, look for it, select it and move on. If you processed the game info well and made the important deductions you can just scan the answer choices to find what you are looking for but you still have to read/scan them to find it.
Last edited by Jeffort on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby TheOcho » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:07 am

Yes, with a few LG exceptions. 169.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:09 am

Jeffort wrote:This topic is Image silly.

There is no rational reason not to read all the answer choices before selecting one on questions you have time to attempt. Doing otherwise is Image stupid.

This type of habit may in part account for the more generous curves on the recent tests as compared to the strict curves of most of the 2005-2007 tests.

If you have time for a question, not reading all the answer choices before making a decision is dumb.

I get what was said about the LG section in terms of once you find what you know is correct (provided you analyzed the game scenario properly), look for it, select it and move on. If you processed the game info well and made the important deductions you can just scan the answer choices to find what you are looking for but you still have to read/scan them to find it.

Considering that someone in this thread scored a 180 without reading all the answer choices, don't you think it's a bit much to call it silly, stupid, and dumb?

almostfamous
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby almostfamous » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:10 am

YES...i got over a plateau by starting to read all the answers in RC and LR, not always in LG though...177 June 10

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Do you read every answer choice?

Postby Jeffort » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:19 am

JazzOne wrote:
Jeffort wrote:This topic is Image silly.

There is no rational reason not to read all the answer choices before selecting one on questions you have time to attempt. Doing otherwise is Image stupid.

This type of habit may in part account for the more generous curves on the recent tests as compared to the strict curves of most of the 2005-2007 tests.

If you have time for a question, not reading all the answer choices before making a decision is dumb.

I get what was said about the LG section in terms of once you find what you know is correct (provided you analyzed the game scenario properly), look for it, select it and move on. If you processed the game info well and made the important deductions you can just scan the answer choices to find what you are looking for but you still have to read/scan them to find it.

Considering that someone in this thread scored a 180 without reading all the answer choices, don't you think it's a bit much to call it silly, stupid, and dumb?


Absolutely no!

180 scores are rare. 99.9th percentile. Small amounts of people pull them off each year. What about the rest of the crowd that takes the test that are trying to get into law school?

PS: I'm not disputing that the poster achieved a 180, but over the years, especially in discussion board land, I've heard tons of people make false score claims.
If the person did get a 180, not reading all the answer choices was not the reason he/she achieved it.
Last edited by Jeffort on Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, bcapace, BobBoblaw, Grond and 16 guests