Good December LSAT Sleep Strategy?

lsat_doobie

Good December LSAT Sleep Strategy?

Postby lsat_doobie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could let me know what you think of this december lsat sleep strategy I've been considering. Yesterday, I worked a 12 hour shift at work during the day. I came home around 10pm and I was so exhausted I just hit the bed and passed out uninterrupted for 9 hours. I had a pretty awesome sleep. I was just wondering if I should work this same shift on the friday right before the dec test?

I know people say you should relax the day before your test, but is that only in reference to not doing a PT the day before in fear or burnout? From what I read, people say you should be really active the day before the test anyways, so you're exhausted for bedtime. I've had trouble sleeping in the previous LSAT tests I've written so I was thinking this may really help. I've found that if I sleep sufficiently and I'm really focused (and not groggy) then I can perform much better while taking the test. Working the night before would take my mind off things while making me really tired. The flip side of this suggestion, is that I'm so tired when I get home and I'm still unable to sleep that a zombie version of myself has to write the test in the morning. I don't know how likely this would be though since working a 12 hour shift just really tires me out.
Last edited by lsat_doobie on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

incompetentia

Re: Good December LSAT Sleep Strategy?

Postby incompetentia » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:13 pm

IF you're going to attempt this, try this again a couple times and then try to take a PT the next morning and see how it holds up. The key is not a full night's sleep...it's merely being able to concentrate during the test.

leap_your_bar

Postby leap_your_bar » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 pm

I stayed in a nearby town in a hotel, so I was pretty nervous going in about sleeping. The biggest thing for me (and that I read on here) was to get a solid nights sleep the nights leading up to the test. Nerves will keep you up for the first little bit. We didn't get into our testing center until an hour later either :/. I managed to get an awesome sleep, even in a strange atmosphere.

Try running a hot bath for yourself; these always seem to knock me out cold. Make it as hot as possible, almost unbearable really so you can just work your way in. This will get you pretty tuckered out. Do as much as possible (even stupid little stuff) so get ready. I found the building beforehand and I practiced going there the night before. When I say do as much as possible, I literally arranged everything in sequential order (towel first, then my cleansing products after the shower, then clothes, admission ticket/snack/bag, then shoes). Even little stuff, organize your toothbrush and everything before you go. This might help take a lot off your mind, and keep you occupied too.

I went to the mall the night before, all the walking around usually makes me pretty tired. I contemplated getting a starbucks non-decaf but the thought of someone fucking up and giving me caffeinated scared me out of it, lol.

Ps. I woke up to a ton of gunshots in the middle of the night...if you wake up, don't be rattled. I was like "if i get up and see someone dead, I am going to be scarred for life"...so I stayed in bed. If you wake up and can't fall asleep, don't stress...laying in bed is more actually beneficial (its still rest) than being wide awake.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Powerscore's Sleep Bible is pretty good.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:15 pm

incompetentia wrote:IF you're going to attempt this, try this again a couple times and then try to take a PT the next morning and see how it holds up. The key is not a full night's sleep...it's merely being able to concentrate during the test.

This is the golden rule. Try and pretest your Fri-Sat routine during the weeks before the exam.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:26 pm

This is an awesome thread, and extremely important. People should add their own advice. I bombed one lsat because I got only two hours of sleep the night before. I took the test out of town and I stayed in a cheap motel. People were partying in the room next door all night and I couldn't sleep.

The next time I stayed in a much nicer hotel (a Hilton). I payed 120 for the night instead of 55, but I got amazing sleep, and the price difference was definitely worth it.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:32 pm

now is the time to start tinkering with your sleep. For october, I went to bed around 10 30 and slowly worked up to my 6 am wake up each morning until it became a routine.
dont take a prep test first thing in the morning, on the actual game day you wont start the test until 9-930 or so. You have to be there by 830, so there will be an hour of waiting before you start. I know nerves and anxiety wont let you sleep at the test, but that will wear off during the actual test. Prepare your mind to be wide awake for 3 hours before taking the test.

by the way, if you are wondering about energy drinks, practice a few prep tests with them before you make a decision.

best of luck everyone

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:34 pm

i dont know about the majority, but some people have difficulty sleeping in strange or new places. If you know or think you are one of them, try sleeping at the hotel you are going to stay at for a day or 2 beforehand ( i know this is really paranoid, ocd, but the key is to be as routined and comfortable. mentally focused as possible)

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 am

I woke up maybe 5-10 times the night before the Oct. Test and definitely had a hard time concentrating.

Just make sure you're getting plenty of sleep through this whole process. You will do better on PTs and consolodate what you're learning better as well.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:30 am

Whatever you do, make sure you sleep the night before. I couldn't sleep at all, so I decided to watch episodes of Big Love thinking it'd make me fall asleep. I seriously didn't sleep a single minute that night. The results? 8.5 points below my PT average.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

SilverE2 wrote:This is an awesome thread, and extremely important. People should add their own advice. I bombed one lsat because I got only two hours of sleep the night before. I took the test out of town and I stayed in a cheap motel. People were partying in the room next door all night and I couldn't sleep.

The next time I stayed in a much nicer hotel (a Hilton). I payed 120 for the night instead of 55, but I got amazing sleep, and the price difference was definitely worth it.

Hey, it's almost like what happened to me! Though I didn't exactly bomb my LSAT as scoring on the lowest acceptable end of my expectations.

How much did you improve on your re-take?

alex_cryp

Postby alex_cryp » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:38 am

If you are nervous, you won't sleep no matter what kind of shift you worked. But, if you get as much rest as possible the week leading up to the test, it won't matter.

My vote--don't work the day before.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:47 am

Took the June LSAT and can def say the moment your sitting there with your booklet and sheet, right before they say "turn to section one, you may begin" was the most stressful for me (adrenaline skyrockets/ nerves tense) - I practiced being ready for this by listening to a recording and scored better in oct. Lesson learned: prep and practice all aspects of stress, even your morning routine

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”