Study Schedules for the December 2010 RETAKE

cw2010

Study Schedules for the December 2010 RETAKE

Postby cw2010 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:19 pm

I'm making this thread because I'm re-taking the December 2010 exam and am aiming for a 170+. I need to raise my score a few points, and it's going to take some disciplined action.

I'm going to add to this thread later today after I further revise my study plan, but currently here is what I have:

*Study time per day: 4-6 hours per day, averaging around 35 hours/week
*Minimum of two game sections per day (redos since I've already completed them), aiming for 100% on each
*PT every other day starting 11/6/2010, with detailed review of weaknesses and incorrect answer choices
*Detailed review of questions answered incorrectly, with explanations for each of the answer choices

Since I've done most all of the PTs, I'm reducing my time down from 35 minutes to 30 minutes on the PT sections that I have completed. For the games, I'm doing all of my games sections in 30 minutes.

The goal is to really figure out and attack my weak points, so most of the review is tailored around specifically addressing and spending time on areas that I am weak in. This, in my opinion, is more important than doing a bunch of problems. I've already done a bunch of problems (over several thousand). In order to break through this barrier, it's time to figure out my specific problem areas. Note that the PTs are not set in stone. If I need to take a day off from doing a PT in order to spend more time to review specific problem areas, I will. Endurance is not an issue for me right now. Being specific, exact, and detailed is.

I'm keeping a detailed journal of my weaknesses, strengths, and problems that I answer incorrectly. Good luck everyone. I'm interested in hearing other peoples' approaches as well. Let's make this happen.

niederbomb

Re: Study Schedules for the December 2010 RETAKE

Postby niederbomb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Do a PT every morning with 28-minute sections between 6:00-8:30 when I have to leave for work. Work through 40-61 and then 30's. Mix in a LG section from 1-20 as a fifth section in each PT for extra LG practice. Use these scores as new "PT average."

Lunch break: read over the Manhattan guides.

After 6:00 PM, get home from work and finish the sections I couldn't quite finish in 28 minutes. Review every answer choice to RC and practice categorizing the incorrect choices as "Interpretation, Scope, or Degree." Review incorrect answers for LR.

It's been working for me for 1 week.

Attack weaknesses: bubbling, nerves, parallel reasoning, inference questions (RC), long messy grouping games

cw2010

Postby cw2010 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:31 pm

28 minute sections ..nice. Also the Manhattan guides are great, esp the RC guide. The LG guide gave me some very good modifications to my approach.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:35 pm

Yes, even if I don't finish LG or RC, it at least will help me with nerves on the real thing and give me time to go back and fix my bubbling issues. Besides, I'm not a morning person, so 28 minute sections still allows me to finish and get to work on time if I get started a little late.

I agree with you 100% on the Manhattan RC guide. I was always pretty good at RC but pretty haphazard in my approach; having a strategy has really boosted my confidence and made me faster.

I just started the LG guide this evening.

cw2010

Postby cw2010 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Ya same feeling about the RC. I definately like the annotation guide and the PEAR method. I've done the other two guides but am only a third through the RC guide.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”