PT48 Questions

Nonok

PT48 Questions

Postby Nonok » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:50 pm

First off... terrible curve. -8, wtf. Got a 170 -4RC, -4LR, -0LG. I have a couple questions.

Two RC questions (#1 & #12) were author point of view questions. I got both wrong. I have no idea to go about these questions. If anyone could provide some insight on how to know do better on these, I'd appreciate it.

RC #6. I put B. Why isn't this right? What is the best way to go about main point questions? Maybe I should put more weight on the things mentioned in the last paragraph?

LR2 Question #9. I cant figure this one out. Both A and D are attractive. I picked D. Why is D wrong exactly?

I'm getting better at RC (-9 on Oct 2010) which is the section that normally kills my score.

Thanks!

Nonok

Re: PT48 Questions

Postby Nonok » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:16 am

My one and only bump. Still stumped on these.

:cry:

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Nonok wrote:First off... terrible curve. -8, wtf. Got a 170 -4RC, -4LR, -0LG. I have a couple questions.

Two RC questions (#1 & #12) were author point of view questions. I got both wrong. I have no idea to go about these questions. If anyone could provide some insight on how to know do better on these, I'd appreciate it.

RC #6. I put B. Why isn't this right? What is the best way to go about main point questions? Maybe I should put more weight on the things mentioned in the last paragraph?

LR2 Question #9. I cant figure this one out. Both A and D are attractive. I picked D. Why is D wrong exactly?

I'm getting better at RC (-9 on Oct 2010) which is the section that normally kills my score.

Thanks!

LR 2 Question 9

Argument

"A study of female physicians indicated that as intake of folate and B6 increased the tendency to develop coronary (heart disease) decreased. "

Conclusion

The vitamins folate and B6 inhibit heart disease in women.

Flaw

The argument takes a correlation to be a causation. We don’t know that it was the B6 or folate that caused the decreased tendency to develop heart disease just that they seemed to happen together. What if there is a third cause behind the scenes not discussed in the stimulus?

Notes

The fact that the subjects are physicians plays no role in the argument. We do not know if they are self diagnosing themselves or not. As far as we are concerned we can consider them just like any other person.

Answers

A clearly shows that there is an opportunity for a third cause to be present. Meaning, it's not that folate and B6 decrease the tendency to develop heart disease, it's that the consumption of folate and B6 is a by-product of eating other substances which decrease the tendency to develop heart disease.

In order to weaken the conclusion we need to show that folate and B6 may not be as effective at inhibiting heart disease as the stimulus suggests. Answer choice D doesn't do this, it simply gives rise to the possibility that subjects in the study may have been more likely to start with heart disease. But does that weaken the conclusion that B6 and folate decrease the tendency to develop heart disease? Not particularly.

Think about it, even if all the subjects had heart disease would that interfere with the observation that B6 and folate intake were accompanied by a decreased tendency to develop heart disease? No! That observation would still be valid, pre-screened or not!

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:13 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:LR 2 Question 9

Thanks! That was very helpful.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Nonok wrote:First off... terrible curve. -8, wtf. Got a 170 -4RC, -4LR, -0LG. I have a couple questions.

Thanks!

The reason why I didnt tackle your RC questions in my last post is because one really needs to read the passage in order to answer :P And I was far too lazy, but I did just take a gander at it so let's see what we can do.

Question 1

First thing we note is that the author never disagrees with the anthropologists. In fact, the author states a fact and quickly follows that fact with an explanation by the anthropologists and then moves on. If he was disagreeing with them we would definitely see something attached to the end of that like "yeah...but these guys are wrong" but since he/she doesn't we can assume that they do not disagree.

So that means, D and E are out. If we look even deeper into the question we see that the author provides support for the anthropologists claims, so he is providing some evidence for them...meaning C is out. Now we are at A/B. But which one, right?
This has now become a judgment game. But lets look at the definitions.

"implicit"
"hesitant"

Implicit means the author accepts what the anthropologists are saying to be true, without actually saying that explicitly. That certainly seems to be the case here.

Hesitant means that the author does not fully agree with the anthropologists but for a lack of a better option accepts their opinions. Does that sound like this case? Not really.

CR is A.

Question 6

Going off of memory (because once again I dont want to read lol) the author is A-Okay with Gluck's style? In fact, the author may even defend it against the critics opinions. So when the first part of the answer says,

"Althout critics have taken Gluck to task about writing poetry that is generic in subject..."

That kind of implies that the author believes that the critics are right. Does the author really believe them? I wouldnt say so. If anything the author dismisses the critics claims by citing evidence from Gluck.

Question 12

This question is directly related to question 6. So I am not surprised that you got them both wrong. If you didnt view that the author was happy with Gluck, then answer B in question 6 would seem good. But if you read the passage you'll note that the author really likes Gluck and her style. You could say the author has tactic endorsement (answer D) of Gluck. The author doesnt come out and say, HEY GLUCK WUV YOU but the author does provide a rebuttal to the critics claims and frames that in a better light.
Last edited by AverageTutoring on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Very helpful! I'll re-read the passages later this afternoon and go through your explanations. I'm at work right now.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”