longtime lurker, finally made an account. need advice

CTundergrad

longtime lurker, finally made an account. need advice

Postby CTundergrad » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Hey All,
I took the Oct 9th LSAT and got a 162, well below (like many of you, at least 5 points ) what I was expecting and practicing at. For the past week I sort of resigned myself to that score but I was never really happy with it. I am trying to decide if I should re-take in December. I think there is a very good chance I will improve, maybe significantly.
I DO NOT want to wait until the next cycle.
My question is, is it worth it? Is the possibility of getting a higher score worth applying 2 months later? I guess what I am afraid of is expending all of that effort again to study for the test and only getting a marginally better score, or worse, God forbid. My gut is to re-take it but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.
Thank you much

pppokerface

Re: longtime lurker, finally made an account. need advice

Postby pppokerface » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:51 pm

I'm assuming that you haven't submitted your apps yet? Chances are you are probably submitting them at a regular deadline and chancing for a better score in Dec (which you may get). Its almost a waste of a good score, or a pretty good score in my opinion...at least from what I've seen in LSN, its harder to get in when you apply later. However, if you want to apply this cycle, you can to see what happens and if things don't work out then apply next cycle. I really think you should wait until you really think you can do quite better (which may be this Dec, idk)

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:52 pm

CTundergrad wrote:Hey All,
I took the Oct 9th LSAT and got a 162, well below (like many of you, at least 5 points ) what I was expecting and practicing at. For the past week I sort of resigned myself to that score but I was never really happy with it. I am trying to decide if I should re-take in December. I think there is a very good chance I will improve, maybe significantly.
My question is, is it worth it? Is the possibility of getting a higher score worth applying 2 months later? I guess what I am afraid of is expending all of that effort again to study for the test and only getting a marginally better score, or worse, God forbid. My gut is to re-take it but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.
Thank you much

No reason not to apply this year. You can apply again.
162 will keep you out of all T-14, so, if that's what you're shooting for, you MUST retake.
TRY to get it done in December, and maybe it won't hurt you any more.
Study every day. Take EVERY (excluding maybe 1-10) LSAT. Do all the Bibles. Stalk TLS.
Basically sacrifice your life for the next month.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:52 pm

worst kind of poster

CTundergrad

Postby CTundergrad » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 pm

JG Hall wrote:worst kind of poster

That hurts JG.

CTundergrad

Postby CTundergrad » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:05 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
CTundergrad wrote:Hey All,
Thank you much

No reason not to apply this year. You can apply again.
162 will keep you out of all T-14, so, if that's what you're shooting for, you MUST retake.
TRY to get it done in December, and maybe it won't hurt you any more.
Study every day. Take EVERY (excluding maybe 1-10) LSAT. Do all the Bibles. Stalk TLS.
Basically sacrifice your life for the next month.

Thank you. Like I said, I really don't want to wait until next cycle (I'm assuming that's what you meant) because I have already taken an extra year to graduate and do not know what I would do for all of 2011 waiting.

CTundergrad

Postby CTundergrad » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 pm

pppokerface wrote:I'm assuming that you haven't submitted your apps yet? Chances are you are probably submitting them at a regular deadline and chancing for a better score in Dec (which you may get). Its almost a waste of a good score, or a pretty good score in my opinion...at least from what I've seen in LSN, its harder to get in when you apply later. However, if you want to apply this cycle, you can to see what happens and if things don't work out then apply next cycle. I really think you should wait until you really think you can do quite better (which may be this Dec, idk)

I have not submitted any apps yet. I was thinking of submitting a few to schools that I know I would get into anyway and seeing if the retake is better than my first try. That way I could always just apply to better schools or keep the ones I was going to apply to anyway with the 162. FYI my GPA is a 3.5
I think a month is plenty of time for me to raise my score significantly.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Need to know which law schools you are targeting.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:34 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Need to know which law schools you are targeting.

CTundergrad

Postby CTundergrad » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 pm

3|ink wrote:

Lower end of T14, preferably Cornell/Georgetown. I would even be happy with BU or GW

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:45 pm

CTundergrad wrote:
3|ink wrote:

Lower end of T14, preferably Cornell/Georgetown. I would even be happy with BU or GW

Retake. You better get mid 170s if you plan to get into Gtown. You've already missed their ED deadline.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:48 pm

Cornell & Georgetown are unlikely to admit you without additional stellar circumstances.
BU & GWU are reaches.

CTundergrad

Postby CTundergrad » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Cornell & Georgetown are unlikely to admit you without additional stellar circumstances.
BU & GWU are reaches.

Additional stellar circumstances meaning??
What schools should I be looking at, depending on the retake

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:56 pm

That's the thing - it depends on the retake. With a 162 you have pretty much zero shot at T14, but that could change with a 168+

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”