LSAT Tutor or Study Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jkgott

New

LSAT Tutor or Study

Post by jkgott » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 pm

Took the LSAT last September after taking a Kaplan course. Scored a 159 on the test (up from a 152 on diagnostic). Recently decided to take the test again in December. I've been practicing on my own and my score is up around 162-164. I am considering getting a tutor but not sure if that is necessary. If I do get a tutor, I do not know if I should go with Kaplan or PS. I picked up the PS bibles but they are fairly different than the way Kaplan taught me to do things and how I have been doing things and with just over a month left that worries me. Should I stick to my methods and just do more PTs or should I go with a PS tutor..or a Kaplan tutor.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Re: LSAT Tutor or Study

Post by AverageTutoring » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:45 pm

jkgott wrote:Took the LSAT last September after taking a Kaplan course. Scored a 159 on the test (up from a 152 on diagnostic). Recently decided to take the test again in December. I've been practicing on my own and my score is up around 162-164. I am considering getting a tutor but not sure if that is necessary. If I do get a tutor, I do not know if I should go with Kaplan or PS. I picked up the PS bibles but they are fairly different than the way Kaplan taught me to do things and how I have been doing things and with just over a month left that worries me. Should I stick to my methods and just do more PTs or should I go with a PS tutor..or a Kaplan tutor.
Tutors are best selected on an individual basis and not by the company that they represent. While course material and strategies may differ, tutors are supposed to tailor their approach to your individual needs. So if you're already having success with a particular method a tutor should be able to pick up on that and work with you in that direction.

Out of curiosity though, what is so different about Kaplan's approach?

jkgott

New

Re: LSAT Tutor or Study

Post by jkgott » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Nothing major. I just think that there are some differences between PS and Kaplan in the ways they approach problems (i.e. diagrams in LG sections). Another noticeable difference is that in LR, PS recommends reading the stimulus, then the question, and then the choices, whereas Kaplan has you read the question before the stimulus. Not a major difference but changing something like that now (with only 5 weeks until the test) might not be a good idea. Thanks for your input.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”