I've lost my way in RC...

JurisDoctorate

I've lost my way in RC...

Postby JurisDoctorate » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:04 pm

I don't know what happened but I have become practically incompetent when it comes to RC. I finally figured out LG, I have done -0 and -1 on my last couple. But now I've lost all RC ability.

In the past, I've done as well as -4 (out of 28) and I averaged -6. I ended up getting a -11 on the real test in October and I just got a -11, this morning (Riddled Basins FTL).

Part of this is because I've changed up my method; I never diagrammed before and now I'm trying a method.

I don't know what to say but I'd love to get any and all advice I can get.

joemoviebuff

Re: I've lost my way in RC...

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:46 pm

RC is the most difficult section to apply a method to, much more difficult than logic games and LR. To a far greater extent, what works for some won't work for others. You really just have to figure out how best to do it for you rather than just adopt whatever methods a book tells you. I used the Bibles for LG and LR and they were great, but what I was doing for RC was just my own thing because it seemed to be working.

What I did was speed-read the passage. This allowed me to better see the thing as a whole, rather than get lost in the details. After every paragraph, I would come up with a one sentence summary in my head very quickly, then move on to the next. I never read the questions before the passages, and very, very rarely underlined anything. I could usually use process of elimination to get down to two answers, and if I ran into trouble, I'd guess, mark the question, and move on, then revisit it if I had time at the end of the section.

HTH

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:50 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:RC is the most difficult section to apply a method to, much more difficult than logic games and LR. To a far greater extent, what works for some won't work for others. You really just have to figure out how best to do it for you rather than just adopt whatever methods a book tells you. I used the Bibles for LG and LR and they were great, but what I was doing for RC was just my own thing because it seemed to be working.

What I did was speed-read the passage. This allowed me to better see the thing as a whole, rather than get lost in the details. After every paragraph, I would come up with a one sentence summary in my head very quickly, then move on to the next. I never read the questions before the passages, and very, very rarely underlined anything. I could usually use process of elimination to get down to two answers, and if I ran into trouble, I'd guess, mark the question, and move on, then revisit it if I had time at the end of the section.

HTH

Just wondering, what were your average scores using this method? This is one method I have not tried. I have been hesitant to try "speed reading". But I may give it a go for next RC drill.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:02 pm

gambelda wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:RC is the most difficult section to apply a method to, much more difficult than logic games and LR. To a far greater extent, what works for some won't work for others. You really just have to figure out how best to do it for you rather than just adopt whatever methods a book tells you. I used the Bibles for LG and LR and they were great, but what I was doing for RC was just my own thing because it seemed to be working.

HTH

Just wondering, what were your average scores using this method? This is one method I have not tried. I have been hesitant to try "speed reading". But I may give it a go for next RC drill.

Hell if I remember exact scores, but I wasn't having anything anomalous like -0 LG, -4 LR, and -11 RC. I would say I could generally expect a -0 to -2 on easy ones, and -4 to -6 on really hard ones. I could generally just hold my own in RC. I just work better when I go faster. In undergrad I never highlighted things in the textbook either. I tried to do it just because the book said to when I started, but I quickly abandoned it as I was going too slow and forgetting the big picture while highlighting damn near everything, which cost me points.

A lot of RC is just annoying passages using far too complicated sentences to describe really simple things. Once you can cut through the bullshit ("oceanic prokaryotic plankton strive laboriously to avoid the quaqmire of ultraviolet rays from the Solar System's largest star" reduces to "this stupid animal doesn't like the sun" for instance) it's easier. Speed just happened to make this less difficult for me.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:06 pm

I was stuck at -3 RC for a LONG time then I stopped underlining and summarizing and following all the crud in the RC Bible. I underlined only VOICE changes (like different people's opinions) and key words like BUT, ALTHOUGH, BECAUSE
and read SLOWLY
take more time reading slowly ONCE than you think you should and you'll find that you only have to read every prompt once and then you intuitively know what the answer is you're looking for.
I do this, and no RC -0 every time, maybe -1 if I do something really stupid like miss a NOT in a prompt.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I almost died laughing when I read your paraphrase of the convulted sentence. I try to do that sort of paraphrasing but generally just end up my mind wandering away from the stimulus towards me running over the author with my car.

Sitting at a -9 average on RC, only times I have gotten -3 or -4 are when I have taken 45 minutes. I would be more than happy to accept a -4 on RC because I think I can do -3 each on LR and -0 on LG with almost 100% certainty.

-10 for a 170 :lol:

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:08 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:I was stuck at -3 RC for a LONG time then I stopped underlining and summarizing and following all the crud in the RC Bible. I underlined only VOICE changes (like different people's opinions) and key words like BUT, ALTHOUGH, BECAUSE
and read SLOWLY
take more time reading slowly ONCE than you think you should and you'll find that you only have to read every prompt once and then you intuitively know what the answer is you're looking for.
I do this, and no RC -0 every time, maybe -1 if I do something really stupid like miss a NOT in a prompt.

I'll reserve judgment on your technique until we find out your re-take score :lol:

In all seriousness I second what Sophie mentioned. I underline opinions within the passage and nothing else. It's what worked best for me. But RC is definately different strokes for different folks.

doing_it_in_a_car

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:09 pm

I think I know the passage you're talking about, the one about chaos and the basin of attraction? I sucked on that one too.

I took the opposite approach to joemoviebuff. Underlining topic sentences, circling key words, writing EX next to examples, writing POV where I saw the author's point of view come out. This method got me -3 on the Oct 10 RC (171 overall). So different strokes for different folks.

I would recommend you explore these forums for advice. There's a lot of good advice in this thread on RC, (as well as some from yours truly). viewtopic.php?f=6&t=135625

Also, remember there's such a thing as burn out. One time I started a PT and my head was pounding so hard by the end of it, I had to stop and do something else. Make sure you alternate - hit RC hard one day, maybe focus on LG and certain question types the next. Also, make sure to warm up - I like to begin study sessions by doing a section or two untimed, I take as long as I want to make sure every question is right. Finally, maybe try rewarding yourself with sugar and grains?

Best of luck prepping!

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:09 pm

I circled all of the indicator words like but and since in both the question stem and in the passage. i read and only take a few short hand notes ( finish the passage in 4 minutes) I refer back for every single question. it took me months to figure out the method, and I ended up going from a -14 to a -8 on October ( didnt finish the last section, guessed wrongly on all 5 of 8 questions)

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:09 pm

I tried the Atlas method for RC which involves basically getting down the structure of the passage and the central argument and the purpose of each blurb of text, and then throwing everything else to the wolves or coming back to it for detail questions. And annotating after each paragraph. It seems to work pretty well. I'm still in the double digits wrong for RC but it's only the first PT I tried it on, and I actually had time to get to all 4 passages (even though I only got around to like 21 questions), whereas I normally get to like 2 passages, 3 if I'm lucky, and NEVER 4.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:13 pm

See, I did very well on the LSAT highlighting nothing and speed reading, and s0ph1e did very well reading a bit slower and underlining key words. It's all about figuring out what works best for you, and that takes trial and error, and time. Try em both.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:15 pm

keep playing with your approach. It took me many months, and was very frustrating, but doing one section of RC every 3 days will give you all of the necessary time to tweak you need.

also, dont pressure yourself to do all 4 passages. Strive for 3 at first,then slowly get to 4. That way you can take the time to really work on your method.

JurisDoctorate

Postby JurisDoctorate » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks all for your input.

I do agree that I should focus more on doing the passages well than finishing them all, at the moment.

I think I should just start drilling it the way I drilled LG. I am not 100% comfortable with all of the question types and I think I'm getting tricked by some stems.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”