Thoughts on 4th Take

nireca

Thoughts on 4th Take

Postby nireca » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Hey everybody, I am planning on retaking the LSAT again in December but before I make it official I wanted to get people's thoughts on my situation. I have taken the LSAT 3 times and received a 160, 162, and a 164 respectively. My PT average while prepping for the October LSAT was around 173. I have a 3.4 GPA and my top choices are Boalt and UCI. However, I am becoming increasingly receptive to the notion of attending a lower ranked school with a large merit based scholarship, something along the lines of a USD or a Santa Clara.

I feel like even if I only improve by another 1-2 points that it will be worth the effort. Still, given my PT average, a larger increase is certainly not out of the question. On the other hand, I am a bit concerned about how it would appear if my score dropped. What do you guys think?

Also, before anybody points this out, I realize that you are only allowed to take the LSAT 3 times within a 2 year period. However, I have convinced a school to write LSAC a letter requesting that I be allowed to take the test again. So this is not an issue.

incompetentia

Re: Thoughts on 4th Take

Postby incompetentia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:09 pm

If you're -9 off your PT average, it's most likely nerves at least to SOME degree. Calm yourself, stay prepared, and a 170+ is definitely achievable (which is more than enough for a decent offer from various T1s).
Last edited by incompetentia on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:10 pm

on three officially administered tests you scored a 160, 162 and 164, for an average of 162. Your prep average is a 173. Im assuming you have taken the prep tests in 5 sections, in a non perfect setting ( some noise, pencils, strict timing ( end at 34 mins 30 seconds). Personally, I would not take it again, as your 3 time score has gone up a total of 4 points. How many times have you used the old tests for each prep. If you have seen the questions before, there is a chance that you will remember something from it, while on the official tests you have never seen any of the questions before.

Do you really want to wait until later in the cycles to go complete? Its up to you, but I would send them all out asap, and move on from the lsat.

nireca

Postby nireca » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Let me explain my situation in a bit more depth.

The 160 I received in June of '09. In preparing for the test I reviewed the PowerScore books and took a few PTs but overall my preparation was lackluster at best. I had tremendous difficulty with LG and even adopted the strategy of attacking only 3 games and just guessing on the final game. My PT average at this point was somewhere around 160 and I believe the score I received accurately reflected my ability at the time.

In June of '10 I enrolled in a Kaplan prep course and began to take the test a bit more seriously. After taking all of the prep tests in my endurance book (15 in total) I had a PT average of around 165. However, in the week prior to the test I began to see significant jumps in my score and finally broke through the 170 threshold. My final 3 PTs were 171, 176, and 173. In light of these successes, I think I was a bit overconfident on test day. The June '10 breakdown was LR -5; LG -4; RC -11; LR -3

In October I was determined to get a 170 and began at PT1 and took a test every day until I had worked through every released LSAT. At this point, I was consistently scoring in the 170s and only rarely dropped back down into the high 160's. My lowest score during this round of preparation was a 164. My highest was a 180. At this point, LG had become my best section. The October breakdown was RC -7; LR -1; LR -8; LG -4
Last edited by nireca on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Once again, nerves. It seems like you know the concepts fairly well; your main issue is just being relaxed enough to focus on the task at hand when you actually get to the test.

Everybody's different - do what you personally have to to feel calm while taking tests. Set a routine and do it. (I had the same 37 minutes of music on a CD before every test for the last week...59, 57, 58, and 54...burned it for the car during the drive over to PT61.)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”