risky? what have previous people done?

glucose101

risky? what have previous people done?

Postby glucose101 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:07 pm

While I know I'm not necessarily restricted to just these dates, I can only take the LSAT in June or October of next year. If I prep for June, I'll obviously have to prep through my school year, which will be hectic as is. However, if I write the exam in October, I'll only have one chance to get the score I need (albeit, the summer to prep). Is taking the exam in October risky? How successful were people in this pursuit? Thanks!

dakatz

Re: risky? what have previous people done?

Postby dakatz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:09 pm

glucose101 wrote:While I know I'm not necessarily restricted to just these dates, I can only take the LSAT in June or October of next year. If I prep for June, I'll obviously have to prep through my school year, which will be hectic as is. However, if I write the exam in October, I'll only have one chance to get the score I need (albeit, the summer to prep). Is taking the exam in October risky? How successful were people in this pursuit? Thanks!

I would definitely recommend taking in Oct and not be too distracted by schoolwork. And why would you only have 1 chance to get a good score? You have December as a perfectly viable retry if you don't do well in Oct. 3 or 4 more LSAT points is worth infinitely more than the 2 months earlier that you would be applying anyway.

kiniru

Postby kiniru » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:15 pm

I think it's going to depend on how you're doing when you actually start studying for the LSATs. If you PT well and you would prefer to take the test in Oct (which is what it sounds like) then do that. If you have some problems in your study you can either decide to study longer and take Oct or prep as much as you can and take June + retake if necessary.

As above poster said, you can retake for December and still apply for that cycle, but your app is not going to be early and you won't be able to apply ED with your Dec score. It's really going to depend on how your numbers look for the schools you want.

Edit: I took my first and last LSAT this Oct and ended up with decent scores for the schools I'm applying to.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Sounds like you would be more comfortable prepping in the summer so do that and take the Oct exam. Have your apps ready to submit (resume PS, DS etc) during Sept/Oct so that you can apply right away and have it out of the way if you need to study for Dec retake. If your Oct score isn't where you want it to be, then study for Dec without worrying about apps/school.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:51 pm

JJDancer wrote:Sounds like you would be more comfortable prepping in the summer so do that and take the Oct exam. Have your apps ready to submit (resume PS, DS etc) during Sept/Oct so that you can apply right away and have it out of the way if you need to study for Dec retake. If your Oct score isn't where you want it to be, then study for Dec without worrying about apps/school.

That's what I was planning on doing. I knew the answer seemed simple for this question, but I just wanted to know what people's reactions were like to the pressure of trying to take it in October w a lot of pressure (if I wanted to apply this early).

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Unless you work 30+ hours a week AND are an engineering major or something, you will have time to prep during the school year. Prep take it June this way you have another chance.

KatieKat

Postby KatieKat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:10 am

Personally, I took the Oct LSAT because I felt like I would have much more time to study over the summer and I studied hard over the summer so that I would only have to take it once. Then my fall classes began and my job started scheduling my for some insane hours. Somehow my workload for my classes was much heavier than I expected (I actually had much less work in 2 previous semesters where I had taken more credits). In the month leading up to the LSAT, I was averaging about 6 hours of sleep a night (I need at least 9 to feel functional) and I couldn't have been more stressed. I ended up bombing the LSAT (10 points lower than my PT average) and now have to retake in December.

This probably won't happen to you and you'll probably be fine. Just realize that this is a risk that you take when you wait to take the Oct LSAT. I didn't realize that and I think I would be less disappointed had I considered this a possibility.

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:21 am

I took the June LSAT and I'm reallly glad that I didn't wait until October. I took a school-led prep course at the beginning of the spring semester that met once a week and read and worked through some prep books, and prepped for the test basically full-time in between my exams early May and the test on June 7th. That time I devoted completely to full timed practice tests, and it was a lot less stressful for me to not have to worry about classes for the really crucial month right before the test. I still had time to take a class and I worked on my personal statement over the summer. Definitely helpful so I could get my apps in early and already knew what schools were realistic.

plus, if you do badly on the June test, you always have the option of retaking in October and could still submit your apps early enough to make ED deadlines.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”