Should I retake for a third time??? (cancel then a 164)

novab

Should I retake for a third time??? (cancel then a 164)

Postby novab » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:49 pm

I took a class and took all of the recent PTs, averaging between 167 and 170. I thought that the Oct 2010 test went well, but unfortunately received a 164. RC i was typically scoring -4 to -6 and LR i was all over the board anywhere from -2 to -12. I typically always do perfect on the LG sections (the one or two times I got -1 it was from a stupid mistake or me just marking the wrong answer in my book)

On Oct 2010 this is what I got:
RC: -9
LR: -11
LG: -0

In June, I had a horrible testing experience - I live in FL and it was 90 degrees that day and the class room I was in had NO A/C on and none of the windows were opened. People were freaking out and two girls started hysterically crying part way through the test. then the lawn people were at the school and had a leaf blower out in the court yard right outside of the door and our ridiculous proctor opened the door and wedged it open to go yell at the guy, leaving the door open for several minutes while she tried to get the guy to shut off his leaf blower. In addition to that, my mother had notified me a week before that my dad might have liver cancer and that he went for blood work and cat scans, but we wouldnt find out for a week to 10 days. And on top of that, I had to go straight to my job to drive three hours with my boss to help him prepare for a deposition being taken the following day (which I had basically done all the prep work for and it was my responsibility to make sure he was ready for it.)

I messed up during the games section which (since that is my one strong suit) made me know that the test score would definitely be super low

So I knew June didnt go well and I cancelled, then I took it again in October and I thought I scored around my average and am just killing myself now that I didnt get near that amount. so now my dilemma is whether or not to take the test a thrid time and if I do take the test a third time, and i do score better, is it even worth it???? or would I be better off just sucking it up with my 164 and goign from there. I had the hopes to go to a top 20 school and now those hopes are basically shattered.

novab

Re: Should I retake for a third time??? (cancel then a 164)

Postby novab » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Oh, and based on the testing experience in June, LSAC gave me a fee waiver for the October test (so that made me feel at least a little vindicated)

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Is it worth it? If you're asking whether or not you could do better if you took it again, the answer is maybe. Should you take it again? That depends where you want to go.

novab

Postby novab » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:01 pm

I don't really have any top school choices at this point. I am leaning towards UF because 1. I live in FL. 2. I currently work at a small firm where the managing partner (who i work directly for) and one of the other partners are former FL Bar presidents and I know that I will have many opportunities to get my foot in the door for interviews at other firms for clerkships and jobs. 3. The cost of three years at UF (16K per year) is about the amount of one year at most private schools.

My only issue is that I really was hoping to move back up north (where I am from) for law school and i am not sure if i want to stay in FL for the rest of my life. A UF JD is gold if you live in FL - all of the big firms and small firms definitely lean towards hiring UF grads, but a UF degree wont mean anything anywhere other than the south.

I was hoping to score higher to be able to get scholarship (at least partial) to some top 30 schools (BU, GWU etc) or score high enough to get to a t14

my 164 is good enough to get in to FL and I have a 3.79 gpa undergrad and an M.A. - so I know my numbers would be good enough to get into a t14 if I only had a better lsat

ahh - decisions, decisions

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:03 pm

retake

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:13 pm

4for44 wrote:retake

lkk

Postby lkk » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Same here.
cancel - 170 - retake?
I took it in June and then canceled (I didn't even get to the last game in LG section, usually my strongest)
I studied for the entire summer, and range between 168-177.
Took it in OCT get 170.
My GPA is 3.88 from a strong UG double major.
I am a senior now, so Dec will just before final week...

My dream school is Stanford.
Should I retake?

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:03 pm

lkk wrote:Same here.
cancel - 170 - retake?
I took it in June and then canceled (I didn't even get to the last game in LG section, usually my strongest)
Took it in OCT get 170.

Should I retake?

If you're not a URM then applying to Stanford will mandate a retake.

lkk

Postby lkk » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:12 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:
cancel - 170 - retake?
Took it in OCT get 170.

Should I retake?

I am international, will that help?

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:19 pm

lkk wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:
cancel - 170 - retake?
Took it in OCT get 170.

Should I retake?

I am international, will that help?

Not unless you are black or some form of Hispanic. You have a great GPA but I dont feel comfortable with your chances at Stanford without a 172+.

That said, you are above their LSAT median and right around their GPA median...if you were to apply, I could see an acceptance but it would be far from guaranteed. A 172+ would most likely lock you in.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”