Multiple LSAT Addendum Help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
3|ink

Platinum

Re: Multiple LSAT Addendum Help

Post by 3|ink » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:09 pm

ryno8cubs5 wrote:Sorry to take away from the argument, but less about being under prepared and more about reasons why i took it three times? Like death of father effected my scores on the first two and the third was not as effected by it? Granted I will write it better than that. Maybe something how I worked harder to achieve my 3rd score?
If you're absolutely going to write an addendum, stick to your father's death. Don't let it seem like you could have worked harder the first two times by saying you worked harder the third time. Others have disagreed with me on this point; make sure it doesn't come off like you're appealing to pity. It's easy to accidentally do this even if you're not trying to.

minnie112

New

Post by minnie112 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:30 pm

How about something short and simple like, "My father's death in the summer of 2009 caused me to perform poorly on the Dec. 2009 and Feb. 2010 LSAT's. My score on the Oct. 2010 LSAT is more indicative of my abilities, and I hope the admissions committee will take this into consideration.

ryno8cubs5

New

Post by ryno8cubs5 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:30 pm

minnie112 wrote:How about something short and simple like, "My father's death in the summer of 2009 caused me to perform poorly on the Dec. 2009 and Feb. 2010 LSAT's. My score on the Oct. 2010 LSAT is more indicative of my abilities, and I hope the admissions committee will take this into consideration.
That sounds pretty much perfect from what everyone is advising me to say in my addendum. I think it sounds great. Thanks a ton.

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:55 pm

This has really frustrated me. I'm not really sure what to write about my two sub-150 scores and the 163. I mean in all seriousness, the first time I took the LSAT, I had just been a month removed from taking the GMAT and getting a kick ass verbal score, which made me think I could handle the RC/LR without too much of an issue and would only need to focus on the mysterious games. Didn't know any of these sites ever existed back in 2006 and I picked up a K(ra)plan book that I thought would be sufficient. Needless to say, that didn't go very well.

What's worse is that in preparation for the second crappy score, by then I had learned of PS and taken one of their full-length courses. I really struggled with a lot of the material but did improve a little just to the point where I could hit most of the "easy" questions. My PT scores in that class from 2007 was something like 150, 151, 157, and 156. I convinced myself that there were enough of these questions I could get that would allow me to at least get to the upper 150's and have a fighting chance for the FL schools I wanted. Felt much more confident the second time around, but still hadn't learned how to think properly. That, and I bombed games.

This third time I said screw it. Previously, I thought the people on TLS and LSD and other blogs were crazy for taking all the PTs they did and studying missed questions that I didn't believe had anything to do with the current LSAT. I bought both Bibles, went through them slowly, took notes, then began practicing and prepping on every PT I could get ahold of. Well surprise, surprise, the light came on, I learned how to attack questions and figured out what I was doing wrong, and my practice scores all of a sudden were up in the mid 160's within weks. Unconvinced of these results, I took more PTs to make sure it was legit. Thankfully it was and I finally got a decent score.

I know most schools take the highest score, but I'm not sure how much of a WTF my first two scores are going to get. With the rest of my application, personal statement, resume, etc, I can clearly make a case the higher score is way more reflective of my abilities. I just don't know how to put that into words, or even if I should. What should I write?

ryno8cubs5

New

Post by ryno8cubs5 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:06 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:This has really frustrated me. I'm not really sure what to write about my two sub-150 scores and the 163. I mean in all seriousness, the first time I took the LSAT, I had just been a month removed from taking the GMAT and getting a kick ass verbal score, which made me think I could handle the RC/LR without too much of an issue and would only need to focus on the mysterious games. Didn't know any of these sites ever existed back in 2006 and I picked up a K(ra)plan book that I thought would be sufficient. Needless to say, that didn't go very well.

What's worse is that in preparation for the second crappy score, by then I had learned of PS and taken one of their full-length courses. I really struggled with a lot of the material but did improve a little just to the point where I could hit most of the "easy" questions. My PT scores in that class from 2007 was something like 150, 151, 157, and 156. I convinced myself that there were enough of these questions I could get that would allow me to at least get to the upper 150's and have a fighting chance for the FL schools I wanted. Felt much more confident the second time around, but still hadn't learned how to think properly. That, and I bombed games.

This third time I said screw it. Previously, I thought the people on TLS and LSD and other blogs were crazy for taking all the PTs they did and studying missed questions that I didn't believe had anything to do with the current LSAT. I bought both Bibles, went through them slowly, took notes, then began practicing and prepping on every PT I could get ahold of. Well surprise, surprise, the light came on, I learned how to attack questions and figured out what I was doing wrong, and my practice scores all of a sudden were up in the mid 160's within weks. Unconvinced of these results, I took more PTs to make sure it was legit. Thankfully it was and I finally got a decent score.

I know most schools take the highest score, but I'm not sure how much of a WTF my first two scores are going to get. With the rest of my application, personal statement, resume, etc, I can clearly make a case the higher score is way more reflective of my abilities. I just don't know how to put that into words, or even if I should. What should I write?
From what everyone else has said I get the feeling that something short and to the point would be just fine. Say something like, "My prior scores do not provide an accurate depiction of my capabilities. The score of 163 is the score that I feel represents my abilities, and I hope you use this score when considering me for admission to your law school."

Seems like that would be a good start. You can add, or take away from that however, just something along those lines is what I am taking from the comments people are giving me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”