I need advice PLEASE: I'm considering the Peace Corps

lilnorway7

I need advice PLEASE: I'm considering the Peace Corps

Postby lilnorway7 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 am

Alright, so I need some advice as to whether or not I should apply in this cycle.

I recieved my nomination for the Peace Corps last week which means, as early as the beginning of next June, I could start my 27 month deployment. Many law schools I am considering have two year deferral policies for the Peace Corps but, at the same time, they recommend you apply the year in which you plan to attend law school.

I would not have a problem with not applying to law school this cycle if it wasn't for the fact it's pretty possible I'll be placed in a location where I'll have no electricity (so how am I supposed to apply to law schools or contact professors - by this time two years ago - for recommendations?).

So, I feel as though I should apply to law school this cycle although, if I did the Peace Corps, it is not clear if I could get back in time to start law school in the fall since my deployment would end in early September.

To make matters slightly more complicated, although I have a strong application, I do not as of yet have my LSAT score. I took the test in October, but decided not to keep my score, because I was sick at the time of the test. I ended up cancelling my score which I think retrospectively was the right thing to do. I have an idea of where I'll score because I don't have a score I have no idea WHERE I should apply. I don't want to take a stab at Stanford or Berkeley without knowing I have a reasonable chance of getting in...

I realize this is a mess but perhaps someone can help me sort all this out. Should I apply? Should I mention anything about the Peace Corps in my application? Is anyone else out there thinking of doing the Peace Corps before law school?

gdane

Re: I need advice PLEASE: I'm considering the Peace Corps

Postby gdane » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:14 am

Do it. Law school will still be there and it would benefit you to wait. The job market is sure to improve within the next 2 years.

Besides, Peace Corps is amazing! I havent done it, but its one of those great things I wish I would have. Do it. Law schools need more service oriented people like you.

Good luck!

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:18 am

Wait and apply once your plans are firmer.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:18 am

I assume you applied for the peace corps for a reason, that there was something there you wanted to explore/experience. You really should take advantage of this before LS, you may end up not wanting to do LS at all, or it might sharpen your interests. There are internet cafe's around the world, you get furloughs, etc. You can find a way to apply while abroad and peace corps is a killer soft, plus (I believe) you get an educational stipend at the end that can help with either your UG debt or LS costs. There are a number of ways you can get to LS in 2 years, but not nearly as many ways for you to get this kind of experience after LS.

louda

Postby louda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 am

i'm in PC now and it's a great experience and if you have gone through the hassle of the application and interviews, then just go for it. the experience will be great for law schools anyway.

there will be a place to take the LSAT nearby to you and PC is very accommodating for taking tests.

i honestly feel if you don't do it, you will regret it. law school will be there when you come back, i promise.

let me know if you have anymore questions.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:37 am

If you're worried about getting LORs once you get back, why not get your academic LORs now?

bruin10

Postby bruin10 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:43 am

You supposedly get 5 points added to your LSAT score if you do Peace Corps.

louda

Postby louda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:49 am

bruin10 wrote:You supposedly get 5 points added to your LSAT score if you do Peace Corps.

that can't be true. anyone else to back this up?

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:56 am

louda wrote:
bruin10 wrote:You supposedly get 5 points added to your LSAT score if you do Peace Corps.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No. Come on!

While you dont get any LSAT boost, peace corps is a good "soft factor". It demonstartes a lot of good traits that law schools covet. It wont cover up a poor LSAT score, but it might make you more likable.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:58 am

louda wrote:

I can totally back this up, if by back this up you mean make up true-ish sounding things on the internets. Here's one: The LSAT curve is decided by lunar phases, a full moon = a more generous curve. Your LSDAS G.P.A. Always equals the exact amount of seconds you can hold your breath, that's why school's with strong swimming programs have higher GPA's.

I guess what I'm getting at is that, no, no you don't get a free 5 points. Sorry for the sarcasm, it's a slow day at work.

kiniru

Postby kiniru » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Don't apply now. The Peace Corps will give you that good soft factor that people have mentioned, and you might even been able to write a better PS after the experience.

If you really want to plan ahead, I would talk to your LORs right now and you can even get them in, since your LSAC account will be valid for like 5 years... lol

pcthenls

Postby pcthenls » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:05 am

I realize this thread is about a month old and the original poster may have already made a decision, however here is my two cents. I am currently a PC nominee for a March departure (making my sitation a bit more adaptable to fall law school start). I am also applying to schools this cycle. I figure if things do not work out with PC, I am definitely not wasting another year waiting to go to school. If I do get my invite to serve, I also can push law school application stress out of my head so that I can focus on my two year job abroad. I have already heard from a few schools that have also promised me scholarship money after my service. :) Pretty happy about that. Good luck and hopefully we will both be RPCVS in law school in a few years!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”