June 2011 LSAT during finals week?

jhspaybar

June 2011 LSAT during finals week?

Postby jhspaybar » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:31 am

So, what should I do, I go to a UC school on the quarter system and my finals week starts on June 6th(the day of the 2011 june test). I don't yet know if I'll actually have a final on that Monday yet, but I figured I'd be done by then. I was hoping to do the 3 month study plan starting in the spring quarter and then taking the test in June, is this still a good idea? Should I possibly take a lighter load like only 14 units(2 upper division, 1 lower division "easy" class) and still go for it? I don't tend to have test anxiety, so what do you guys think?

LSAT Blog

Re: June 2011 LSAT during finals week?

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:20 am

If you ended up having a final scheduled on Test Day, you could probably get your professor to move the final to a different day (most professors understand how important the LSAT is).

However, it's tough (in general) to prep for finals when you'll have them in the same week as the LSAT.

I'm not familiar with the UC quarter system, but is it possible to start your 3-month study plan soon and take the Feb LSAT instead?

I think most people would benefit from a lighter courseload during the period in which they're studying for the LSAT.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:18 am

Only take it in June if you are 100% certain that doing so will not affect the GPA outcome of any of your classes due to decreased studying.

GPA may not be as important as your LSAT score, but believe me, it is still EXTREMELY important. People who have a 3.9 have a much bigger advantage at entrance and $$ than someone with a 3.75. Sometimes a higher GPA can also equate to needing 1-2 points less as a minimum LSAT score to get into where you want to go.

jhspaybar

Postby jhspaybar » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Hmm, I *could* take the February LSAT, it falls in the middle of next quarter(around midterm time I would guess). I've been out of school for 8 years, but my first 2 quarters in when I was 18 left me with a 2.4 GPA, so I'm trying to front load as many units as possible to get that solidly above a 3.0 so I can potentially get a decent summer internship this summer if law school doesn't work out. I was planning to take 5 classes(20+units) in the quarter starting in January, and then only taking 3 classes in the spring quarter leading up to a june test date. If I want to apply next October or November would I be better served taking the February test so I could potentially retake in June, or is June with October as a backup okay?

lemony

Postby lemony » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:39 am

Sorry to post in this thread a month later. Just wanted to suggest that when you register for Spring Quarter courses, you should look up the course's Final Exam codes in addition to taking a lighter load. This way you have at least some control over when you want to schedule your courses. If you're trying to squeeze in courses required for your major or GE, try to take courses with inconvenient finals times during another quarter? I'm definitely going to try doing so myself since I also go to a UC and planning on taking the June 2011 LSAT.

June with an October backup should be fine; schools will be aware that you are taking the LSAT again. Whether or not they will see it I'm not sure, however.

elisedfra

Postby elisedfra » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:44 am

lemony wrote: I'm definitely going to try doing so myself since I also go to a UC and planning on taking the June 2011 LSAT.

Is anyone else doing a self-study plan for the June 2011 LSAT with power score bibles and PT's that may want to touch base online?

xmrmckenziex

Postby xmrmckenziex » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:42 am

Just took the Dec. test with my finals beginning on the following Monday. I had 16 semester units and it was the semester from hell. That being said, it can be done but one or of the other (LSAT or grades) will most likely suffer, at least a little bit. If you are comfortable knowing that and know that you can work hard then go for it. Otherwise, I would aim for taking the October test (also during classes but at least nit during finals).

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:49 am

I took the dec 11th test and I had one final the thursday before and two finals the week after. Plus there were a lot of papers all due at the end of the quarter. It was kind of stressful but I managed a 3.9 for the quarter and I don't think it negatively affected my lsat performance, but we shall see in the coming weeks...

KatieKat

Postby KatieKat » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:43 am

I also took the Dec LSAT but ended up getting extremely unlucky with finals.. I ended up having 7 exams/quizzes the week before the LSAT and a lengthy take-home exam due the following Monday and a paper due a few days after that. I was shocked about the sheer amount of work I had, since I was only taking 16 credits. It was beyond stressful and negatively affected both my GPA and my test performance. Definitely try to avoid taking the LSAT during finals if you can help it. You never know if you'll end up getting way more work than you expected.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:59 am

OP: Scheduling is important. If you plan to take the June LSAT consider enrolling in fewer classes & taking summer courses to make-up any shortage.

sam62188

Postby sam62188 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:57 pm

I took the June 2010 LSAT when I was in my final quarter at UC Davis and had a final the same day. At that point my GPA was more or less set, so it didn't matter to me.

Since you are on a UC quarter system, you are probably used to having 4 midterms/finals every 3 weeks anyways so you might be used to that stress.

The October test would put you in the first wave of midterms for fall quarter, the Feb test would put you close or around midterm season as well for winter quarter. June and Dec put you in finals weeks, so there isn't really an ideal time regardless.

If you feel prepared go for it, if you feel a little overwhelmed, taking some time might not hurt.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”