Pithypike is great and all, but what to do at this point?

JD=Doctor

Pithypike is great and all, but what to do at this point?

Postby JD=Doctor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:44 pm

I got a 166 on the october exam (undisclosed)

I assume i got perfect on games which means i got -14 (curve def was harder then the regular test) divided between LR and RC im gonna assume i got LR-7/8 and RC -7/6

iv done all the exams from 40 on up (some twice). (EDIT..... from 2001 and forwards)

How should my next 6 weeks look like to improve from a 166 to a 170 .. i range from -1 to -4 on LRs and from -4 to -8 on RC

i only have 1 test i havent done and thats the october test (b/c i took the tuesday test) How should i go about studying?

thanks

PS i did blueprint ... would reading the bibles at this point help?
Last edited by JD=Doctor on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fosterp

Re: Pithypike is great and all, but what to do at this point?

Postby fosterp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:00 pm

You have everything from 45 and before. While not "as good" as the newest ones, they are still good for practicing your methods and keeping sharp on LG skills.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:21 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:I got a 166 on the october exam (undisclosed)

I assume i got perfect on games which means i got -14 (curve def was harder then the regular test) divided between LR and RC im gonna assume i got LR-7/8 and RC -7/6

iv done all the exams from 45 on up (some twice).

How should my next 6 weeks look like to improve from a 166 to a 170 .. i range from -1 to -4 on LRs and from -4 to -8 on RC

i only have 1 test i havent done and thats the october test (b/c i took the tuesday test) How should i go about studying?

thanks

PS i did blueprint ... would reading the bibles at this point help?

In putting a lot of effort into the LR sections, it also really increased my RC scores. I think the LR Bible is a good aid, but if you're at -1 to -4, not sure how much it will help. The RC Bible gives good advice for marking up and indexing passages as you are working through them. You don't need the LG Bible if you are that strong in LG.

You are allowed to use a highlighter during the test. This is a waste of time for most sections, because putting down the pencil and picking up the highlighter is too costly in seconds, but for RC, it might make a lot of sense to use a highlighter, since you only have to switch utensils a every time you start or finish a passage. Obviously you have no problem reading, but with -4 to -8 on RC, it seems you need help organizing and indexing the information you have collected in the passage. RC Bible may help. Just reading more books and using highlighters, as stupid as it sounds, may help a lot too.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Also, repeating a prep test is probably not a very good use of time or energy. That's metagaming, since you already have information that you shouldn't on the test, having taken it before. Metagaming isn't a realistic way to prep.

(For those who are unfamiliar with the term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metagaming )

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:59 pm

"Metagaming" has limited application in this circumstance. This theory is why those of us who tutor hate to see someone squandering a recent PT for one of those "free" PT administrations calculated to make you feel miserable and in need of signing up for classes. Ideally, you shouldn't repeat prep material, but in prepping for a retake you really have no choice. The alternative is the cheap prep crap that uses fake lsat questions.

As a tutor who has coached many clients through retakes, I say retaking recent PT's is very effective prep. Sure, you're bound to have "Here come the mauve dinosaurs" moments. But on the whole, my clients report having limited memory of the PTs -- certainly not enough to have significant impact.

Your retake program should include plenty of five- and six-section tests, cobbled together from older PT's. Cambridge LSAT sells ready-made five-section tests you can (legally) download and print.
--LinkRemoved-- This will both muddle residual memory of your first take and build endurance. And unless RC is a significant weakness, earlier PT's (the Next Ten and 39-44) are just fine. You won't get Comparative Reading on PTs until PT 52 (except free on LSAC site June 2007).

Good luck!

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:08 pm

Sorry i mistakenly confused PT #s .... i did all the PTs from 2003 and on.

mchuynh

Postby mchuynh » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:28 pm

try Atlas..i find their reading comprehension strategies to be really helpful

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”