Retake and applications

IBThatGuy

Retake and applications

Postby IBThatGuy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:44 pm

On PT's was scoring 167-163. October test landed a disappointing 162. LSAC UGPA around 3.3. Certain I can swing 165+ in December. Do I:

1. Retake and wait to submit applications
or
2. Submit applications and go complete, with note saying that I'm taking again
or
3. Apply at the schools that have already sent fee waivers, and wait for the rest?

I know some people suggest, in similar cases, option 2. If they would just hold your application, anyway, isn't it effectively the same as applying when the next score is released?

cowgirl_bebop

Re: Retake and applications

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:50 pm

IBThatGuy wrote:On PT's was scoring 167-163. October test landed a disappointing 162. LSAC UGPA around 3.3. Certain I can swing 165+ in December. Do I:

1. Retake and wait to submit applications
or
2. Submit applications and go complete, with note saying that I'm taking again
or
3. Apply at the schools that have already sent fee waivers, and wait for the rest?

I know some people suggest, in similar cases, option 2. If they would just hold your application, anyway, isn't it effectively the same as applying when the next score is released?

Option 2. It shaves off a few days over option 1.

And that way you get everything out of the way sooner.

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:06 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Option 2. It shaves off a few days over option 1.

So you're saying I should get everything else submitted and ready, or actually go complete (everywhere)? Sorry - just want to make sure I understand. It would definitely be a bad idea to wait until I get the score, then start sending everything in.

Always open to more opinions.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:14 pm

IBThatGuy wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Option 2. It shaves off a few days over option 1.

So you're saying I should get everything else submitted and ready, or actually go complete (everywhere)? Sorry - just want to make sure I understand. It would definitely be a bad idea to wait until I get the score, then start sending everything in.

Always open to more opinions.

You can submit your applications and indicate that you want it held for review until December scores come out.

Simply waiting to send them off is not a bad idea, but if it were me in your shoes I would just submit now and wait for December scores to come in.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:17 pm

This definitely give me a sense of deja-vu. My friend who scored 144 asked me the same question. I advised him to get everything ready for the LSAC but NOT have anything sent to the law schools until the December scores are out. I don't think he wants admission's officers to make decisions on his current stats.

A better question is this: If you are rejected based on your submitted LSAts and score much higher on a retake, will the law school reevaluate your application? If the answer to this question is no, you should DEFINITELY NOT send in your applications before you see your new scores.

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:29 pm

taxguy wrote:This definitely give me a sense of deja-vu. My friend who scored 144 asked me the same question. I advised him to get everything ready for the LSAC but NOT have anything sent to the law schools until the December scores are out. I don't think he wants admission's officers to make decisions on his current stats.

A better question is this: If you are rejected based on your submitted LSAts and score much higher on a retake, will the law school reevaluate your application? If the answer to this question is no, you should DEFINITELY NOT send in your applications before you see your new scores.

I'm sure some would reconsider, but I wouldn't bank on it for any particular school - not even his safety school.

Are they actually able to look at the application materials before you click the final "submit" button?

I was thinking of filling everything out, submitting the letters and transcripts, preparing an LSAT addendum in advance, and then hitting submit as soon as the score is on file.

khorejs

Postby khorejs » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:36 am

You should call the schools and ask about their specific policies about waiting for future scores. I'm retaking in Dec, hoping for at least a 5 point bump but have all my application requirements ready to submit. OSU, which is my top choice, said to submit now but list on the application that I am taking a future score. Although they'll hold the application until my second score is received, I'll be reviewed ahead of other applicants who waited until the Dec score was released to submit applications. That might not be the policy everywhere, but a lot of schools keep the order of applications that come in, even if they're waiting for another score. It gives you an advantage over other Dec test takers but unfortunately not over the Oct test takers (unless they wait a long time to submit).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”