BIBLES

mfisk2

BIBLES

Postby mfisk2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 am

I have seen a lot of talk on here about the LSAT Bibles. What makes them so special? Are they worth my time and money in order to improve for Dec LSAT? Does anyone have RC or LR Bibles they would want to sell? Any help would be appreciated!

txadv11

Re: BIBLES

Postby txadv11 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:50 am

I think they are like 150 from PS. The LGB is probably the "best" and the RCB seems like hit or miss. They are worth your time and money.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:17 pm

what about the LR bible? Does it require an entirely original method, or could it help someone who approaches LR holistically?

ashockofpink

Postby ashockofpink » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:36 pm

I've personally been using both the LG and LR Bibles. I'm planning on taking my LSAT's in June but decided that spending more time was better than less. Personally, my strongest section was always the LG but the Bibles showed me (imo) better methods for diagramming the games and organizing the rules. The LR Bible has been a HUGE help to me by filtering the arguments into distinct types and learning how to approach each type

Just to give you an idea, I took a timed test in August before I opened a book and got a 159. Two months later, after only sporadic studying from the Bibles I scored a 167. :lol:

An 8-point jump in 2 months? I swear by these books and plan on snagging the RC one soon.

NYC_7911

Postby NYC_7911 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:48 pm

I used both, but I found the LG Bible way more helpful. I bumped by PT score from high 160s to 172/173, and scored 177 on the real thing. Don't think I could have done it w/o the LG Bible. I found LR less useful, and barely used it. I just don't think LR lends itself as well. However, there are some good tips for improving speed, which--for me at least--was key in improving my LR score. Just don't look for brilliant tips.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:50 pm

The LG bible is amazing - I went through it end to end twice - that along with a lot of practice problems (and a Kaplan course though I didnt use their LG methods much) helped me go from a 160 on my first diag (-15 LG), 167 in June (-10 LG) to 174 (-4 LG) in October.

If you struggle on games the beauty of the bible is it lays out for you how you should be approaching them in a very methodical way and gives you lots of drills and full problems for practice. Many prep courses and books don't lay it out step by step the way the LG bible does. As someone who had nightmares about logic games it taught me how to minimize my weakness and get the score I wanted. 40 bucks or whatever for this book was the best investment I made during my prep process.

Bought the LR Bible too but never really used it so I can't speak to that or the RC bible.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:55 pm

I am an LSAT tutor. I like the Powerscore Bibles and my clients benefit from using them. They use real LSAT questions. I like the LR Bible the best. The explanations are clear and, yes, I think it would complement a "holistic" or what I call intuitive approach. LG is good, but their system is rigid. It relies heavily on game types and sub-types and sub-sub-types, which I prefer to avoid. I've heard from clients who panic when they see a game they can't easily identify as a certain type. I also don't like their complex setups. That said, many on this board have had great success with the LG Bible system. As for RC, the RC Bible is better than anything else (non-LSAC) out there. RC is the toughest to improve through use of study aids.

I suggest you start with the LR Bible. It's available on Amazon far cheaper than the PS site. I would advise you to avoid any other LSAT prep materials out there (except of course from LSAC itself). Some of them are worse than useless. Beware the ones that boast of "actual" LSAT questions; they may throw in a few, but almost all are fake LSAT questions and this can harm your preparation.

Amazon lets you preview the books.

http://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Logical-Reas ... pd_sim_b_1

Hope this helps.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:01 pm

I would recommend the King James Bible for reading comprehension.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”