Advice for those RC passages on Art

Advice for those RC passages on Art

Postby fosterp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:14 am

I am noticing a trend in my RC practice, the questions I usually get wrong land on the passages that deal with art. Generally my understanding of these passages are weak because of the unfamiliar terminology that is used. Words like abstract expressionism, representational technique, lyrical art, realism, naivete, bravado, etc, throw me off. I realize that its expected for unfamiliar words to appear, and generally I can deal with it on the other passage subjects because of the context in which words are used, but when the words are used in contrasting each other, or used to represent an authors attitude, the whole feel of the passage just goes to hell because I can't figure out what is really being said. A lot of the questions I have to spend time frantically finding the part of the passage is being referred to, and it wastes a lot of time.

Should I just keep a dictionary handy for all my practicing to look up art terms and hope they are reused on the real test? A lot of terms are reused but I still haven't really begun to understand all this "art lingo."

Re: Advice for those RC passages on Art

Postby incompetentia » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:18 am

If these are tripping you up, refer to these terms as A and B and 4 and 5. LSAC doesn't expect you to know the more obscure ones, and there's usually a decent explanation somewhere. (Perhaps mark it clearly for easy reference?)
The terms themselves look scary, but that's their goal. Think of them with as few connotations as possible.

I have the same problem with the philosophical ones usually, since I'm chem/music background. (Although I did just write a term paper on cross-medium manifestations of abstract expressionism)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”