URGENT: Kaplan Advanced v Knewton

BlakcMajikc

URGENT: Kaplan Advanced v Knewton

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Anyone with an opinion. I have to take an online class because of my location. Also, this is for the December LSAT, so I must register by tomorrow

So far, here are the pros of each:

Kaplan Advanced (Online)
Pre-screened classmates
Printed course material
Increased score guarantee
Excellent additional online lessons and material

Knewton
5+ point guarantee
Inexpensive
Good teachers (I "sat in" on a couple classes)
Only real LSAT test questions

Opinions?

typ3

Re: URGENT: Kaplan Advanced v Knewton

Postby typ3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:19 pm

How about neither for an online class.

I would recommend Atlas and blueprint over them both.

And real test questions isn't a determining factor between any of them. They ALL use real test questions.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Is atlas now manhattan lsat? If so, then Im not really a fan of their self-study system.
I did a thorough and rigorous self-study for my first take (161 in October). I will certainly continue with self-study but want the course as a supplement. I figured I should invest in a course so that when December rolls around, I won't have any doubts my preparation.

I don't want to gamble on a course that may waste a lot of my time with the basics. Therefore, I am particularly drawn by the 5pt money back guarantee.

I thought Kaplan used some of their own questions as well as official LSAT questions?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:55 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:Is atlas now manhattan lsat? If so, then Im not really a fan of their self-study system.
I did a thorough and rigorous self-study for my first take (161 in October). I will certainly continue with self-study but want the course as a supplement. I figured I should invest in a course so that when December rolls around, I won't have any doubts my preparation.

I don't want to gamble on a course that may waste a lot of my time with the basics. Therefore, I am particularly drawn by the 5pt money back guarantee.

I thought Kaplan used some of their own questions as well as official LSAT questions?

Yes, Atlas is now Manhattan. I wish they wouldn't have changed their name, it's so much easier to say Atlas.

Kaplan does not use their own questions, they only use real questions. I took a Kaplan course an can speak from experience. Blueprint uses only released questions as well.

I've done Blueprint online, Kaplan at a local center, and Atlas self study. Of the three I think Atlas is the best. That's my opinion, I was looking for a prep company to take me from the high 160's to the 170's. Everyone starts somewhere different. If you're just looking to get mid 160's, go with blueprint.

However, a course is no substitute for hard work and practice.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Ended up taking Knewton. Started the class with a 161 from the October test date. Took the December test. They guarantee 5 pts, so I will let you know if I will be getting my money back or not. (Hopefully not :D )

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:51 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:Ended up taking Knewton. Started the class with a 161 from the October test date. Took the December test. They guarantee 5 pts, so I will let you know if I will be getting my money back or not. (Hopefully not :D )

Were you in the M/T/TH 8:00-11:00 EST class?
If so I was in it :P

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:44 pm

For any prep course, the brand is less important than the teacher. That's mostly why I'd recommend Kaplan Advanced...I've already evangelized them in another thread, but they reserve their best teachers for online classes, and Advanced moves at a quick pace so you don't get bogged down in the simplistic stuff you probably already know.

I came in with a 158 from June and ended up PT'ing in the low 170s by the end. Do all the work and you'll see improvement.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 am

2014 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:Ended up taking Knewton. Started the class with a 161 from the October test date. Took the December test. They guarantee 5 pts, so I will let you know if I will be getting my money back or not. (Hopefully not :D )

Were you in the M/T/TH 8:00-11:00 EST class?
If so I was in it :P

Lol, yes I was... loved me some Jason!

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:09 am

jwmalone87 wrote:For any prep course, the brand is less important than the teacher. That's mostly why I'd recommend Kaplan Advanced...I've already evangelized them in another thread, but they reserve their best teachers for online classes, and Advanced moves at a quick pace so you don't get bogged down in the simplistic stuff you probably already know.

I came in with a 158 from June and ended up PT'ing in the low 170s by the end. Do all the work and you'll see improvement.

I checked out Kaplan Advanced. It look great and certainly was my second choice, but the money-back 5 pt guarantee at Knewton was too good to pass up. Kaplan only offered a retake of the course, and I believe it was 3 pts.

I agree the teacher can make or break the course. Nice thing about Knewton was they offer each section on demand, so you can pick and choose your teacher if you want to mix it up, but I only used the on demand videos on occassion when I had to miss class.

PT scores don't mean much to me. Before the October test, I was PTing in the high 160's and broke 170 once. And then came my 161....lol.

I am not here to knock another course because frankly I don't give a crap, but rather to report on my score and if my 42hrs of class, 10 practice tests, and a gazillion homework assignments actually worked. :D

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 pm

170!!!

So freakin' happy! My birthday was yesterday, and this is the best bday present ever! No need for $ back from Knewton. Big thanks to them for their course! So awesome!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”