Another Logic Games SPEED (or lack thereof) Post

Foxkid1

Another Logic Games SPEED (or lack thereof) Post

Postby Foxkid1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Hey Everyone.

I finally decided to come out of the "lurker" shadows and actively participate. I have gained a lot from this forum and wanted to make it known.

Background: I began a self study program in preparation for the OCT test. Consistent with most people, my weakness is definitely logic games. I improved my general lsat skills considerably, but my logic games deficiency is certainly making it difficult to nail a solid score. Going into the OCT test, I knew I had a slim chance of reaching my goal, which is to break the 160 barrier. In the end, I scored a dismal but not shocking 154 on the OCT test. I am retaking in DEC and applying this cycle, with a 4.0 cum GPA.

I have searched the forum in trying to answer my own questions and have certainly found awesome advice and inspiration. But, I was wondering if anyone had more valuable suggestions...

My main issue with logic games is speed. In the beginning, I could barely get through 1-2 of the games with accuracy. I read countless times that speed will come with practice, but it is not happening for me. I have gone through the LGB and know the concepts well. Even today, I get through two of the games without fail, with 100% accuracy. But, I cant seem to get much faster.

Any solutions or tips? How much time should I be spending on the front end on diagramming and inferences?

Any advice is appreciated, if I could simply get through even 3 out of 4 of the games, my score would be easily achieved.

Thanks

typ3

Re: Another Logic Games SPEED (or lack thereof) Post

Postby typ3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:21 pm

You sound like you're relying on making a hypothetical for every answer instead of READING your master diagram.

Many answer choices can be eliminated merely be having a good diagram. This will help you with speed. Also you might want to try Atlas LG, I find its diagraming a little better for games. But I certainly think after completing the LGB you should be improving speed wise.

Foxkid1

Postby Foxkid1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I do spend a fair amount of time on the hypos. I will look into Atlas for games. Thanks again. I am just trying to figure this out before December.

vodkashot

Postby vodkashot » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:48 am

I agree with typ3, your speed can be greatly improved if you catch all the inferences and have a good diagram. Some (though not all) logic games can be finished in under 5 minutes simply because most of the questions can be answered by glancing at a good setup.

I was absolutely horrible at logic games when I first started out (I was literally around -12 or worse) and the LG Bible helped a lot, but it can only take you so far. Practicing LGs really makes perfect, but don't just just repeat games ad nauseum without examining them. What really helped me was after every game I finished, even the ones I got perfect on and finished under 8 mins 45 sec, and I reviewed the game and my setup to see if there were any inferences I missed, anything that could have helped me finish faster, etc. I wrote out all my mistakes and things that tripped me up (even if I eventually got them correct) in sentence format, which helped as well as I got to dissect my thought processes. Also, when you have done a lot of games, you should review the games you've done so far and look for some pattern in your mistakes/initial inferences/etc you missed. Catching these sort of patterns and being aware of them is a surefire way to improve.

Foxkid1

Postby Foxkid1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks for the reply Vodka. I am definitely working on practicing more, instead of just learning the concepts. I know that is the only way I will truly get faster.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”