Fee Waivers: What do they mean? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lsatter

New

Re: Fee Waivers: What do they mean?

Post by lsatter » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:38 am

I've been amused at how the waivers have changed pre and post lsat.

Before, with a 162, it was Florida coastal, and Michigan state. Now, William & Mary, and U of Minnesota. Minnesota were literally begging me to apply ("please let your next step be applying"). I'm not targeting HYS, if the 22nd school wants to send me that, I'm happy :)

pattonthicke

Bronze

Post by pattonthicke » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:50 pm

casterfield wrote:
tooswolle wrote:I've heard that often, what about getting fee waivers from some good schools if you are a URM? Do you think they are being truthful with their fee waivers or just raising their selectivity rating?
As a URM candidate, I'm hoping they waived them because they think I can get in. I mean, it's not out of the realm of possibility that I can get into UCLA with a 171 LSAT score and URM status and they just waived my fee today. However, if Harvard waived my fee (do they even do that?) I certainly wouldn't think it was because they thought I was getting in.

I guess just use your head and think about your numbers and other aspects of your application are available to them and determine whether or not you're being used. And either way, if it's a school you're considering anyway, it's only 12 bucks to apply, so why not?
I hope so as well because i got a crap ton of fee waivers from great schools, 3 in the t14, yet i only have a 159. That said, if even for greater scholarship assistance ill be retaking the dec. lsat, this time not going -12 on the games.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:43 am

I don't get why Cardozo sent me a fee waiver. Even with 4+ more points on my LSAT i wouldn't probably get in there because they love high gpas. Why dont schools where I would actually want to apply send me ones?

gmenfan

New

Post by gmenfan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:00 am

Sandro777 wrote:I don't get why Cardozo sent me a fee waiver. Even with 4+ more points on my LSAT i wouldn't probably get in there because they love high gpas. Why dont schools where I would actually want to apply send me ones?
Did you label the east coast as an area of interest? I'm trying to figure out if there's a heavy relation between waivers and that, in addition to LSAT/GPA.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:50 am

pattonthicke wrote:
casterfield wrote:
tooswolle wrote:I've heard that often, what about getting fee waivers from some good schools if you are a URM? Do you think they are being truthful with their fee waivers or just raising their selectivity rating?
As a URM candidate, I'm hoping they waived them because they think I can get in. I mean, it's not out of the realm of possibility that I can get into UCLA with a 171 LSAT score and URM status and they just waived my fee today. However, if Harvard waived my fee (do they even do that?) I certainly wouldn't think it was because they thought I was getting in.

I guess just use your head and think about your numbers and other aspects of your application are available to them and determine whether or not you're being used. And either way, if it's a school you're considering anyway, it's only 12 bucks to apply, so why not?
I hope so as well because i got a crap ton of fee waivers from great schools, 3 in the t14, yet i only have a 159. That said, if even for greater scholarship assistance ill be retaking the dec. lsat, this time not going -12 on the games.

Ay bro I'm really hoping that the people on TLS are just overtly cautious. Affirmative Action exists; obviously the Supreme Court condones the practice as per the ruling in Grutter v. Bollinger. Today I got a fee waiver from a lot of schools with the most notable coming from northwestern. I think in the end it comes down to what you have that they want and if you can do the work. 25% on the lsat is damn good specially given the medians that urms score. I think that fee waivers tend to show that you are border line and that you just have to make the application work. Good luck to you; I know that I'm going to apply to those schools regardless of what people say and see what happens. I encourage anyone who is a URM to do the same!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Korlath

New

Post by Korlath » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:54 am

URM here with 3.09 GPA and a 158 LSAT score. Got a fee waiver from Duke lol. Yea, right. Even with URM status there's no way im getting in. Either they are dangerously low on Mexicans or they just want to reject me and boost their stats.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:57 am

Korlath wrote:URM here with 3.09 GPA and a 158 LSAT score. Got a fee waiver from Duke lol. Yea, right. Even with URM status there's no way im getting in. Either they are dangerously low on Mexicans or they just want to reject me and boost their stats.
dude thats freaking awesome! i got similar stats as you just a higher gpa. I wish duke sent me something :( haha...when it comes to URM status i think there are more factors at play then many of the people here think. I've taken courses in chicano latino studies that break down the graduation rates for latinos. Lets just say for male latinos the numbers are the worst out of every ethnic group; were also the largest fastest growing minority. Take it for what its worth, but I'm definitely applying and hoping to win the jackpot.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:59 am

gmenfan wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:I don't get why Cardozo sent me a fee waiver. Even with 4+ more points on my LSAT i wouldn't probably get in there because they love high gpas. Why dont schools where I would actually want to apply send me ones?
Did you label the east coast as an area of interest? I'm trying to figure out if there's a heavy relation between waivers and that, in addition to LSAT/GPA.
probably but my gpa is so low they must have just given LSAT score fee waivers.

Korlath

New

Post by Korlath » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:02 am

tooswolle wrote:
Korlath wrote:URM here with 3.09 GPA and a 158 LSAT score. Got a fee waiver from Duke lol. Yea, right. Even with URM status there's no way im getting in. Either they are dangerously low on Mexicans or they just want to reject me and boost their stats.
dude thats freaking awesome! i got similar stats as you just a higher gpa. I wish duke sent me something :( haha...when it comes to URM status i think there are more factors at play then many of the people here think. I've taken courses in chicano latino studies that break down the graduation rates for latinos. Lets just say for male latinos the numbers are the worst out of every ethnic group; were also the largest fastest growing minority. Take it for what its worth, but I'm definitely applying and hoping to win the jackpot.
How much higher is your GPA? Are you retaking? Just curious to see what you are planning...I'd like to have a twin and see how our cycle goes. I'm considering re-taking in Dec. UC Davis is my 1st choice, but I spoke with a representative at my school today and she showed me the stats. Out of 187 people that applied with my current stats only 3 were accepted lol (i have no idea if they were URM)..

But seriously, though. Duke? With my stats? No way, man. Don't look too much into these fee waivers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:13 am

Not sure if its based on geography. My working assumption is that they look for people with certain characteristics. I have friends who scored low 160 lsats and didn't get a thing and people who scored high got a fee waiver. I think with urms the numbers are enormously stratified so that a "regular good score" is on par to higher level scores. In other words trying to recruit the best students out there from different ethnic backgrounds. Either that or they really really need diversity.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:18 am

Hopefully they want me because I'm a female that can fire an M4A1 with a high degree of accuracy.

Surely that has to be

1. Underrepresented
and
2. Highly useful in some court cases
!

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:37 am

M4A1 for reals? hahaha

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:41 am

tooswolle wrote:M4A1 for reals? hahaha
Only down range. Most of the time we had the semi version, but painting a 10 ring on full auto is a blast (no pun intended). Being hooked up with 1st Cav was at once a blessing and at once a humongous curse.

I miss the Army sometimes. =/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:38 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
tooswolle wrote:M4A1 for reals? hahaha
Only down range. Most of the time we had the semi version, but painting a 10 ring on full auto is a blast (no pun intended). Being hooked up with 1st Cav was at once a blessing and at once a humongous curse.

I miss the Army sometimes. =/
Damn thats a chick I dig :) lol jk ... much respect for serving in the army.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”