so many review books - i need some clarification!

JD2015

so many review books - i need some clarification!

Postby JD2015 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:17 pm

i've been researching various LSAT books and so far i've found out that the preptests are very important, as are the bibles.

i went on ebay in hopes of finding something cheaper, and came upon veritas law prep. i ordered a preptest 60 for only $3, and i realized it was in a pdf format once i received it via email. i opened it and it looked pretty valid, so i went ahead and ordered preptests 1 to 60 for only around $55. all of a sudden, i'm worried that this is 1) illegal, and/or 2) not legitimate.

i felt kind of dumb because i have in my apartment the 10 actual's series, and i realized that by itself already includes the preptests, but i guess i could compare the pdf files to the ones i have to make sure they're exactly the same. does anyone know anything about the pdf format of buying?

in addition, i've heard that the "grouped by" series is great, but i also came upon the cambridge LSAT series that also groups questions. anyone have any take on that?

what i'm looking for are explanations to the preptests - i know the bibles will help me nail down the concept, but i'd like to know why certain questions are right or wrong when i take the preptests. are there books out there that explain the answers, rather than just grouping them? because if they're only grouped, i'll have so many copies of the same questions, which is a waste of money. thanks!

gdane

Re: so many review books - i need some clarification!

Postby gdane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:20 pm

There arent any books that have explanations for every test. However, Manhattan LSAT has a nice website where you can find explanations.

Also, dont take the newest practice tests yet. Leave those for the end of your prep.

On that note, dont just take practice tests. Understand what youre doing. Go through the powerscore books, master the question types and then take practice tests.

Good luck!

JD2015

Postby JD2015 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:29 pm

thanks for your reply! - do you happen to know if the pdf files i received/will be receiving are trust worthy? i only have preptest 60 - they're shipping the bundle of 1 - 60 on a flash drive, and when i scanned through the preptest i do have, it looks ok, but then again i don't know too much about what it should look like.

compared to the free june lsat on the lsac website, though, the format does look difference, but that could also be attributed to the change in times.

i just don't want to be scammed and have spent $55 on false materials.

kruiz88

Postby kruiz88 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:33 pm

JD2015 wrote:thanks for your reply! - do you happen to know if the pdf files i received/will be receiving are trust worthy? i only have preptest 60 - they're shipping the bundle of 1 - 60 on a flash drive, and when i scanned through the preptest i do have, it looks ok, but then again i don't know too much about what it should look like.

compared to the free june lsat on the lsac website, though, the format does look difference, but that could also be attributed to the change in times.

i just don't want to be scammed and have spent $55 on false materials.

Listen, I'm gonna be honest. Their probably pirated pdf's. I imagine they are legitimate in that they are the real thing, but they most likely got them off a p2p site. Meaning for them they were free. If you were so inclined, they have the powerscore books out there too. But that is illegal, and probably should not be done. Plus you will have to print those test. Websites like piratebay.org are immoral and illegal, so you SHOULD NOT use them.

JD2015

Postby JD2015 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:38 pm

i was afraid that would be the case. i legitimately bought the first preptest thinking they were just highly discounted and would arrive to my mailbox quickly - not my inbox. it wasn't until after i had already paid, saw the email with the pdf attachment, did i read up on it.

i've already placed an order for the real bibles. i have to say, i feel guilty for buying the pdfs. however, i did so because i recognized veritas as a legitimate review company (heard their advertisement on a law school podcast), and i trusted them over the average seller. i know cambridge LSAT also provides pdf versions of review material - are those also pirated? well, i guess i'll never REALLY know, but what's done is done.

i've already contacted the seller asking for more information and expressing my concerns. i'm still waiting to hear back and curious as to what he says.

kruiz88

Postby kruiz88 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:12 pm

Don't fret, be proud you have at least the morals to care. Many others would not feel so bad stealing from 1,000,000 dollar company.

JD2015

Postby JD2015 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:24 pm

haha - i guess that's another way of looking at it. the seller's reply made me feel slightly better, by offering a full refund if i didn't feel comfortable. lsac, as he states, provides licenses to legitimate publishers, and since i did buy it and not go on a sketchy website, i'll take it. i just want to make sure this doesn't get me in the end - the last thing i need is some bad karma before i take the exam.

powerscore also has other review books, such as "deconstructed" and "by training type." are these necessary? i've also heard good things about the kaplan mastery book.

ashockofpink

Postby ashockofpink » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:54 pm

The deconstructed LSAT books I find really helpful. Basically, they take the ideas used in each of their bibles and use them to explain question by question why the right answer is right and the wrong answer is wrong. Since I've been studying with the bibles it's nice for me to recognize the terms they're using in referenceto each question - if I have no clue what they're talking about, I can simply open up the Bible to the section I need!

I'm not sure if other companies have books like that, but it's nice to not only know why something's right but also to see why I marked down the wrong answer.

Hope that helps :)

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:01 pm

JD2015 wrote:haha - i guess that's another way of looking at it. the seller's reply made me feel slightly better, by offering a full refund if i didn't feel comfortable. lsac, as he states, provides licenses to legitimate publishers, and since i did buy it and not go on a sketchy website, i'll take it. i just want to make sure this doesn't get me in the end - the last thing i need is some bad karma before i take the exam.

powerscore also has other review books, such as "deconstructed" and "by training type." are these necessary? i've also heard good things about the kaplan mastery book.

I have the Kaplan Mastery book. I think, overall, it is helpful. However, I did notice many typos and misprints. Also, I've read on the forum (I don't remember where) that Kaplan is not the best. They do use actual LSAT questions, but if you are planning on using the PTs in the lower range (20s-30s) you are going to have duplication. This happened to me, and unfortunately gave me false scores on PTs because I remembered the answer from my studying.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:15 am

NCtoDC wrote:
JD2015 wrote:haha - i guess that's another way of looking at it. the seller's reply made me feel slightly better, by offering a full refund if i didn't feel comfortable. lsac, as he states, provides licenses to legitimate publishers, and since i did buy it and not go on a sketchy website, i'll take it. i just want to make sure this doesn't get me in the end - the last thing i need is some bad karma before i take the exam.

I have the Kaplan Mastery book. I think, overall, it is helpful. However, I did notice many typos and misprints. Also, I've read on the forum (I don't remember where) that Kaplan is not the best. They do use actual LSAT questions, but if you are planning on using the PTs in the lower range (20s-30s) you are going to have duplication. This happened to me, and unfortunately gave me false scores on PTs because I remembered the answer from my studying.

I think a bigger issue with the Kaplan Mastery book is that it uses questions from PTs in the 40s, which people are more likely to take as full-length practice exams closer to Test Day. Sure, it uses Qs from the 20s and 30s also, but, I mean, if you want to do questions by type, you'll have to take them from some exam. There are grouped by type books that use only PTs from 1-20 if you want to avoid tainting practice test scores from exams 21 and up.

JD2015

Postby JD2015 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:40 am

Got it - thanks everyone. I know the PowerScore "by type training" books group PT 1-20 Q's so that may be ideal. I already have all the PT's so yeah, duplication would be a waste of money, and the most recent exams, I definitely want to take without ever having seen most of the questions already.

If anyone's used that before, I'd love to hear any reviews! Thanks :)

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:

I think a bigger issue with the Kaplan Mastery book is that it uses questions from PTs in the 40s, which people are more likely to take as full-length practice exams closer to Test Day. Sure, it uses Qs from the 20s and 30s also, but, I mean, if you want to do questions by type, you'll have to take them from some exam. There are grouped by type books that use only PTs from 1-20 if you want to avoid tainting practice test scores from exams 21 and up.

I might have an outdated version of the Mastery Practice book (mine is copyrighted for 2006), but the one I have only uses questions through PT 37. The only exception is one RC passage from PT 41.

Nonetheless, if PS has a grouped book I would definitely use that over the Kaplan book.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”