"I REGRET NOT CANCELLING MY SCORE" THREAD: October 2010 LSAT

lsatmom

"I REGRET NOT CANCELLING MY SCORE" THREAD: October 2010 LSAT

Postby lsatmom » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:19 pm

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse with this thread, but I thought it may help people in the future who will be facing this question.

I had a really hard time deciding, had the cancellation form filled out, and decided last minute not to cancel. I just got my score, and my initial gut instinct was right. I should have cancelled.
I was avg'ing 174-178 on the PT's going in. I choked on the LG section (section 4), knew it at the time, and found it really hard to concentrate on the last section which was LR. I'd never choked on the LG like this, so it really threw me. But, the RC seemed a bit easier than I'm used to, and I felt good about the first LR section (section 3), so I decided to hope for the best and wait it out.
I got a 170. I missed 7 questions in the LG section and 3 questions on the last LR section (section 5 right after LG section). So, I was right to suspect that I totally threw the LG section and the stress of that cost me the subsequent LR section. AND, I didn't do better than my usual on the RC section. I usually miss 1-2 on the RC, and I missed 2.

Hope this helps others in the future agonizing over whether to cancel a score. It was tough for me, too.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

KevinP

Re: "I REGRET NOT CANCELLING MY SCORE" THREAD: October 2010 LSAT

Postby KevinP » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:21 pm

What about those of us who regret canceling? ;/

mtrl

Postby mtrl » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Not to take away from the spirit of the thread, but I contest what you said about "hoping this helps others in the future agonizing over whether to cancel a score." I was in your situation, I choked on logic games in October, and I spent the first week contemplating cancellation and the next two weeks worrying about the fact that I didn't cancel. I knew I definitely lost 3 on LG and 1 on RC. Turns out the only other question I got wrong was 1 more on RC; I ended up with a 177 and couldn't believe that I almost considered canceling. It is a gamble, but waiting it out is sometimes the better option. The fact that you need to wait three weeks really messes with your head and makes canceling look more tempting than it should be.

Besides, a 170 + retake score probably won't look that much worse than a cancel + retake score. I've seen people who retake 170 get into HYS.

lsatmom

Postby lsatmom » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Good point. Thx.
BTW, I plan to retake.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm in the exact same boat - was averaging 174-178, and got a 170 on the real thing. To be honest, I waaayyy overestimated my caffeine tolerance on the day of the test - coffee and two red bull shots was definitely not the way to go. I'll listen next time around about not altering my normal routine, and I'll also work on adjusting my sleep cycle starting several weeks before.

In any case, I already registered for a December retake, but my concern is whether it will be too late in the application cycle to have a good shot, particularly at HCCN. I was thinking that I would submit my applications early (mid-November) and hope for the best -- but does anyone know if that will still offer any advantage, since my score won't be available until January anyway?

Also, I already used just about every practice test to prepare for October, so I have no idea what I'm going to do to stay in LSAT-mode. Any recommendations for good retake prep materials? I'm not really worried about learning anything new - I just want to "stay in shape," more or less. Thoughts?

omninode

Postby omninode » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:50 pm

I do not think that 170 will hurt you at all. If nothing else, be glad you have that as a baseline when you retake. Seems better than canceling and then working from a nebulous estimation of what you would have gotten.

lsatmom

Postby lsatmom » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:54 pm

amorfati wrote:I'm in the exact same boat - was averaging 174-178, and got a 170 on the real thing. To be honest, I waaayyy overestimated my caffeine tolerance on the day of the test - coffee and two red bull shots was definitely not the way to go. I'll listen next time around about not altering my normal routine, and I'll also work on adjusting my sleep cycle starting several weeks before.

In any case, I already registered for a December retake, but my concern is whether it will be too late in the application cycle to have a good shot, particularly at HCCN. I was thinking that I would submit my applications early (mid-November) and hope for the best -- but does anyone know if that will still offer any advantage, since my score won't be available until January anyway?

Also, I already used just about every practice test to prepare for October, so I have no idea what I'm going to do to stay in LSAT-mode. Any recommendations for good retake prep materials? I'm not really worried about learning anything new - I just want to "stay in shape," more or less. Thoughts?

I feel you. I plan to re-order the prep tests I've used, so at least I can see them new and unmarked. You think that would help you? For me, I decided to retake in February instead of December, so I can give myself a longer, cleaner break from the study questions, so when I start studying again in December they will seem less familiar. In terms of apps, I would definitely submit them early. 170 won't take you out of the game if you're strong in other areas, and if they're on the fence about you, they have the December score to wait on.

relativity

Postby relativity » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:12 pm

170 still puts you in the T14 - outside of Yale and Harvard.

ohyouknow

Postby ohyouknow » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:54 pm

I came out of the test feeling miserable. My first post here was debating about whether or not to cancel. The last PT I took before I took the real thing was a 168, and I think that probably shook my confidence a little. I was sure I did terribly and I got talked out of canceling by my roommate and my parents, and people here. I was literally shaking when I opened the LSAC email, and turned out I scored a 172--a half a point higher than my PT average (to be clear, I'm happy with my 172, I guess a lot of people on TLS wouldn't be.)

I guess it comes down to knowing yourself and how you usually feel after taking important tests (PTs don't count unless you can actually convince yourself it is real...I couldn't). I felt the same exact horrible feeling coming out of the SAT in high school, and coming out of the GRE a few months ago; yet, I did okay on those as well. However, if you can usually objectively assess how well you did on a test, or if you're sure you bombed a section then yeah, canceling is probably a good idea.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”